Australia cruise sunset verandahs

hmcrn

Hi everyone!  

My husband and i really like the sunset verandahs, but are thinking of changing.  We are considering the 11-day Australia Great Barrier Reef cruise.  Would you recommend a sunset verandah for that?  Port or starboard balcony if not?  The ship would be the Edge.  We don't care for the infinite verandahs, but could put up with it if needed.  The suites are just too expensive for us (we've done it once and would rather spend our money elsewhere), so don't want to do that. We would appreciate any tips for an Australian cruise!  

Thank you!

We have sailed in a SV around Australia and we could only use our balcony after dark.  There was minimal shade on the balcony and the  sun on the balcony was so strong that we had to keep the drapes closed to reduce the heat in the cabin.  The AC could not handle the heat and by 4-5 in the afternoon all of us on the aft opened our doors to try and get some cool air from the hall.  The cabin attendant got fans and set them at both ends of the hall to help move the cool air.  This cruise was in late January/ early February and the daytime temps were in the high 90s.

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, lola2013 said:

I have never sailed in Australia, but have twice sailed in a SV on the Edge.  Regardless of itinerary, I wouldn’t hesitate to book a SV again.

I agree - we usually love the SVs, but i am worried about them being too hot on this trip.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hmcrn said:

Thank you jelayne - question for you though - do you think any balcony would have been too hot?  Even in the shade?  What ship were you on?  Greatly appreciate the info!  

No, the aft facing cabins get much more sun during the day than those on the sides, which don’t have full sun most of the day.    We were on the Solstice.  

Edited by jelayne
Typo
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, this thread got me thinking. Thanks for that. We have a Sunset Veranda on a Sydney - Fiji - Tonga - Fiji cruise next April, so about a month into Autumn. We will be sailing Northeast the first days, so that afternoon sun will be shining right onto our balcony. 

We have loved two different aft-facing cabins since the restart, and absolutely loved them both, but heat wasn't a concern.

Thanks for all the information. I'm glad I popped in here.

Ponder...Ponder...Ponder...

Edited by MamaFej
typos