Taurangua, NZ

SueMo

We have been to Te Puia on an excursion from Tauranga. It wasn't a ship's excursion but one we booked ourselves through Viator. There were only a 10 of us in a modern Mercedes van. We enjoyed it and gave us a good overview of the geysers and Maori culture. As part of the excursion we also visted a kiwi fruit farm on the way to Rotorua and before going to Te Puia we drove through the redwood forest and visted a few local sights. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, possum52 said:

We have been to Te Puia on an excursion from Tauranga. It wasn't a ship's excursion but one we booked ourselves through Viator. There were only a 10 of us in a modern Mercedes van. We enjoyed it and gave us a good overview of the geysers and Maori culture. As part of the excursion we also visted a kiwi fruit farm on the way to Rotorua and before going to Te Puia we drove through the redwood forest and visted a few local sights. 

The tour you took is same as the link below?  If so, hopefully you don't mind answering some questions for me.

1. How long did you spend in Te Puia? 

2. How much time were you given for lunch?

3. Where did the tour company took the tour for lunch?  

4. Did you need to have cash of NZD to pay for your lunch? Or can pay by credit card?

https://www.viator.com/tours/Tauranga/Tauranga-Shore-Excursion-Te-Puia-Maori-Cultural-Centre-and-Rotorua-City-Sightseeing/d4761-6050PRTTRGRKFD

Thank you.

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

The tour you took is same as the link below?  If so, hopefully you don't mind answering some questions for me.

1. How long did you spend in Te Puia? 

2. How much time were you given for lunch?

3. Where did the tour company took the tour for lunch?  

4. Did you need to have cash of NZD to pay for your lunch? Or can pay by credit card?

https://www.viator.com/tours/Tauranga/Tauranga-Shore-Excursion-Te-Puia-Maori-Cultural-Centre-and-Rotorua-City-Sightseeing/d4761-6050PRTTRGRKFD

Thank you.

It is a similar tour, we visited the kiwi fruit farm plus a honey factory on the way to Rotorua and then once there drove through the redwood forest and then a drive to some of the sights of the city. We spent maybe 3 - 3 1/2 hours at Te Puia.

We had lunch at the cafe at Te Puia, which was probably 30 mins or so. We had to quickly finish as it was our group's time with the Te Puia guide. I think we paid for lunch with a Visa debit card. We only had a very small amount of NZD in case a card was not accepted. You will find just about everywhere in NZ accepts cards.

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

It is a similar tour, we visited the kiwi fruit farm plus a honey factory on the way to Rotorua and then once there drove through the redwood forest and then a drive to some of the sights of the city. We spent maybe 3 - 3 1/2 hours at Te Puia.

We had lunch at the cafe at Te Puia, which was probably 30 mins or so. We had to quickly finish as it was our group's time with the Te Puia guide. I think we paid for lunch with a Visa debit card. We only had a very small amount of NZD in case a card was not accepted. You will find just about everywhere in NZ accepts cards.

Thank you for the information.  How long ago you did that tour?

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think we paid for lunch with a Visa debit card. We only had a very small amount of NZD in case a card was not accepted. You will find just about everywhere in NZ accepts cards.

I don't want to use debit card.  Do you know if most places in Australia and New Zealand accept Visa credit card?  Thanks.

Just now, chubbypiggy said:

I don't want to use debit card.  Do you know if most places in Australia and New Zealand accept Visa credit card?  Thanks.

Yes, they will accept both Visa credit and debit cards in both countries.

If you are a walker then Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland, would be the place for you.  After a geyser display thee is a wonderful walk (about 3km) through and around the thermal park.  We always take our visitors here if they can walk the distance.  If you do go to Te Puia make sure you have the included Maori culture experience.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Dreamer said:

If you are a walker then Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland, would be the place for you.  After a geyser display thee is a wonderful walk (about 3km) through and around the thermal park.  We always take our visitors here if they can walk the distance.  If you do go to Te Puia make sure you have the included Maori culture experience.

Yesterday, booked the tour mentioned in my earlier post (#3).  It does include the Maori culture experience.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, Kiwi Dreamer said:

Waiotapu Thermal Wonderlands sounds great, but it is only open Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays & Mondays.

Have you ever gone to Waimangu, and how does it compare to Te Puia and Waiotapu?