Accessibility on Nieuw Statendam (or other ships)

HALcruiser2001

I am presently holding a booking for SA7085 on Nieuw Statendam and since my last cruise, my wife needs a walker and will likely use a wheelchair during portions of the trip and to have it nearby in case "something happens".

Generally though she will use a small walker/rollator.  So we think that an ambulatory room (those with a star on them) will work well.  But it does not look like adequate grab bars around toilet and that the seat in the shower is a long ways from the shower head.

It would make a big difference if HAL could provide either another seat for the shower and/or a raised seat or commode "above" the toilet.

Does anyone know what HAL can provide or who to contact to determine this before I pay in full?

Lastly, at present she is taking TPN nightly via a port.  This is an nightly I.V. nutrition program and it may extend to our cruise dates, I read that HAL want you to store refrigerated meds in the infirmary, fine, I guess that is OK since min fridge's do fail often.   

We could likely just use one access to the port for the whole week, but it would be nice to know if they have medical staff capable of accessing the port.  If they don't then I get to get some practice at accessing the port before we go.

EDIT:  I know that I will have to contact HAL to arrange this stuff and just asked some questions of "GuestAccessibility@hollandamerica.com", looking for any even related personal experiences from HAL pax.

Edited by bdd123

51 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I found this video, but cannot make out any seat in shower, presume they could supply one...

<snip>

I think it is a very nice suite! Good luck getting anything by e-mail from HAL -- Maybe someone has a phone number for you.

I figured that on email, will call tomorrow, I did see that video yesterday which prompted the questions.

I can't make out if you can remove shower head for "body shower", also handy if you are sitting down.

It does look like a good suite we will (hopefully) be onboard for her 60th bday on the Feb 18th sailing!

We will likely figure out the excursions onboard, but it doesn't matter, we are looking forward to EVERYONE LEAVING the ship.

I don’t have any experience with the suite you have booked, but from your description of your wife’s physical abilities, I think this suite will work fine for you, assuming you are bringing a wheelchair that folds. If the wheelchair doesn’t fold, then it likely won’t fit through the door. 

I watch the video linked above and it appears to me that the shower head does detach and become a hand held shower head. If there is not a bench already in the shower, I do believe the accessibility department can provide one. 

The Pinnacle Class ships are much more accessible than the other classes, which make sense because they are the newest ships. There are more automatic doors throughout the ship with lower thresholds, making it easier to access outside decks. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

We will be on Rotterdam from Dec 11th thru Jan 25th. We have a fully accessible cabin 5054 and then same 8132.  There are wide entry doors, roll in bathroom with grab bar,  no step. Roll in shower with shower seat and hand held shower. The outdoor area to our balcony has a ramp. The cabins are also larger in size.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 510picker said:

I don’t have any experience with the suite you have booked, but from your description of your wife’s physical abilities, I think this suite will work fine for you, assuming you are bringing a wheelchair that folds. If the wheelchair doesn’t fold, then it likely won’t fit through the door. 

I watch the video linked above and it appears to me that the shower head does detach and become a hand held shower head. If there is not a bench already in the shower, I do believe the accessibility department can provide one. 

The Pinnacle Class ships are much more accessible than the other classes, which make sense because they are the newest ships. There are more automatic doors throughout the ship with lower thresholds, making it easier to access outside decks. 

Have a great cruise!

Thanks again.  She uses Karman S-ERGO 305.  24" wide, so you are likely right about needing it to fold.

What wheelchair do you use, it looks nice, does it have arms too?

By then I should have a really light byAcre rollator.

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We will be on Rotterdam from Dec 11th thru Jan 25th. We have a fully accessible cabin 5054 and then same 8132.  There are wide entry doors, roll in bathroom with grab bar,  no step. Roll in shower with shower seat and hand held shower. The outdoor area to our balcony has a ramp. The cabins are also larger in size.

I wish the Rotterdam had a deal on a cruise over 2/20/2023!

If you can get an accessible room - great - but they go fast, but since you have a Neptune Suite, I will speak on my experience if you don’t mind.

I was injured in Barcelona,, normally mobile and ended up in a wheel chair.  the wheel chair can get through the door in a Neptune Suite and you can manoeuvre around with a few adjustments to chairs in the room.

I bought a walker/rollator in Barcelona and placed it in the bathroom and had the bathroom door positioned open so I didn’t have to deal with it and used the walker for the step up.

A wheelchair definitely works in a Neptune Suite.  The shower does have a small lip and if you want it, just ask the concierge for a stool for it.  They have them.

I really didn’t need the Neptune Suite do to personal circumstances but it was a transferred cruise and I couldn’t change the room.  In retrospect now, I’m glad it couldn’t have been.  I doubt I could have managed in even a Signature Suite.

Your wife will be fine as long as she can do the step up and considering I could barely put weight on my foot, I think she can.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please ask.  I spent two weeks in a wheel chair (not the cruise I envisioned) so I have a new and better understanding of these challenges.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

Thanks again.  She uses Karman S-ERGO 305.  24" wide, so you are likely right about needing it to fold.

What wheelchair do you use, it looks nice, does it have arms too?

By then I should have a really light byAcre rollator.

You will be fine with the mobility equipment you have. I’ve been in a wheelchair since 1995 due to a motorcycle accident. Since I am in a wheelchair full-time, my needs are likely different from your wifes. My wheelchair is made by a company called Motion Composites. They make lightweight, custom wheelchairs for everyday use. My wheelchair does not have armrests, but they were an option when I ordered mine. 

To the issue of port access:  I would think both the physician and nurses would be comfortable and technically proficient with accessing and deaccessing a port, especially for TPN, but I would absolutely plan to have my own saline and heparin syringes and a copy of the access instructions just to be on the safe side.   Also, because I have sensitive skin, I’d bring my own preferred tape. 

Accessing and deaccessing are easy to learn and your wife’s infusion provider or doctor’s office would probably be happy to walk you through it.  The biggest advantage of DIY is being able to do it on your own schedule.  

21 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I am presently holding a booking for SA7085 on Nieuw Statendam and since my last cruise, my wife needs a walker and will likely use a wheelchair during portions of the trip and to have it nearby in case "something happens".

Generally though she will use a small walker/rollator.  So we think that an ambulatory room (those with a star on them) will work well.  But it does not look like adequate grab bars around toilet and that the seat in the shower is a long ways from the shower head.

Hi again!

Just saw that @johnmik1 is in the correlating cabin on the Rotterdam right now! He posted a pic of the wall hooks and might be asked for closer pics of the grab bars/access in the bathroom?!!

22 hours ago, bdd123 said:

I know that I will have to contact HAL to arrange this stuff and just asked some questions of "GuestAccessibility@hollandamerica.com", looking for any even related personal experiences from HAL pax.

When I emailed Guest Relations, I received a 'bounce' answer "

Due to the ongoing, unprecedented worldwide situation, we are experiencing a higher-than-normal volume of calls and emails, and as a result, our response time is also longer than usual. Requests are handled in the order received, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

I'm looking for a phone number to set up Roll Calls, but so far I did find some numbers for YOUR questions:

Accessible Cruising

Phone: 800–547–8493 or 206–281–3535 (ext. 4514)
TTY: 800–254–8669

Oh, here is mine:

For other concerns please write or fax to:

Guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

Phone: 1‐800‐599‐8256 or 206‐626‐7393

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

When I emailed Guest Relations, I received a 'bounce' answer "

Due to the ongoing, unprecedented worldwide situation, we are experiencing a higher-than-normal volume of calls and emails, and as a result, our response time is also longer than usual. Requests are handled in the order received, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

I'm looking for a phone number to set up Roll Calls, but so far I did find some numbers for YOUR questions:

Accessible Cruising

Phone: 800–547–8493 or 206–281–3535 (ext. 4514)
TTY: 800–254–8669

Oh, here is mine:

For other concerns please write or fax to:

Guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

Phone: 1‐800‐599‐8256 or 206‐626‐7393

Yep....found the numbers too.   They said no problem with stool for shower and fixed raised seat on toilet.   Done.

Thanks for responses all...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

To the issue of port access:  I would think both the physician and nurses would be comfortable and technically proficient with accessing and deaccessing a port, especially for TPN, but I would absolutely plan to have my own saline and heparin syringes and a copy of the access instructions just to be on the safe side.   Also, because I have sensitive skin, I’d bring my own preferred tape. 

Accessing and deaccessing are easy to learn and your wife’s infusion provider or doctor’s office would probably be happy to walk you through it.  The biggest advantage of DIY is being able to do it on your own schedule.  

Oh... we know.    I could do it now if I needed to.   Just will want some practice with a nurse present.    My wife if oncology  nurse. We aren't that worried about it.   Many nurses have never done it.

1 minute ago, VibeGuy said:

I recently walked a friend through deaccessing his over FaceTime.  He was convinced they’d find his body splayed across the kitchen floor looking like a scene out of _Carrie_.   Such confidence.  

It really is trivial withe the exception of hygiene.

You must be meticulous with prep and cover.

Don't take it lightly.

My wife nearly died of sepsis from bad hygiene on pick line.  In hospital for 10 weeks, thus the port.

Yes.   Everything gets CHG and alcohol.   CHG for the skin, gin for me, thanks.  I’m also a master at the one-hand application of the Tegaderm.  

What an ordeal.  I can only imagine.  I’m glad she’s feeling up to a cruise after all that and I’m sure you could use one, too.  

• Like 2