Panorama Mexico Riviera Time Zone?

mkkao924

We will be on Panorama to Mexico in March 2023. I am wondering if the ship time zone matches the local time on port day, especially at Puerto Vallarta?

I asked the same question in Mexico board as well, and it seems that Carnival may or may not follow local time.

Our current port time for Puerto Vallarta is 9am to 9pm (based on Carnival website, not sure if it’s local time), and our excursion is 11am at Adventuras Park, roughly a 15 minutes Uber ride. Should I try to reschedule it to a later time?

On the Panorama, ship time is pushed one hour forward before arriving in Mexico.  Cabo & Mazatlán are one hour ahead of Los Angeles and PV is two hours.  This means that the ship time will match the local time in Cabo & Mazatlán but will be hour hour behind the time in Cabo (so when it's 10AM in Cabo, it's 9AM ship time). 

I've been on the Panorama quite a few times since the restart, and it's always docked by 6AM ship time / 7AM local time, with guests being allowed to leave by 7AM ship / 8AM local.  I wouldn't sweat it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ronrythm said:

The decision to change times is up to the CD and the captain. Some do one change, some do both. You won’t know for sure until it happens. Or doesn’t.

Enjoy anyway.

I doubt this.  I’ve done the so-called weeklong “Love Boat” route several dozen times since 2001 with several dozen CD on the Elation, Spirit, Splendor, Miracle and Panorama.  The ship’s time always moves an hour forward when it serves PV.  That was true even we took the Paradise, which subbed for the Splendor as a one-off.

What's your first port stop? I recently did this itinerary but Cabo was my first port stop. We did not move the clocks before Cabo (day 3) so ship's time was 1 hour ahead of shore time. That night we moved the clocks so that in Mazatlan the next day, ship and shore time were the same. PV was the last port stop and we did not move the clocks, so ship's time was an hour behind shore time. (So confusing!)

I'd assume they do the same thing when PV is the first stop, but idk.

5 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I doubt this.  I’ve done the so-called weeklong “Love Boat” route several dozen times since 2001 with several dozen CD on the Elation, Spirit, Splendor, Miracle and Panorama.  The ship’s time always moves an hour forward when it serves PV.  That was true even we took the Paradise, which subbed for the Splendor as a one-off.

I have also done this 20+ times and I asked one of the CDs. That trip we had done 2 time changes to match with PV. The CD explained that it was a decision between he and the captain, what time changes and when to do them. They were trying the double change, but probably weren’t going to keep it, as it was too hard on the crew. As always, your mileage may vary.

6 hours ago, allinwonderland said:

What's your first port stop? I recently did this itinerary but Cabo was my first port stop. We did not move the clocks before Cabo (day 3) so ship's time was 1 hour ahead of shore time. That night we moved the clocks so that in Mazatlan the next day, ship and shore time were the same. PV was the last port stop and we did not move the clocks, so ship's time was an hour behind shore time. (So confusing!)

Our port stops are LA -> 2 sea days -> PV -> Mazatlan -> Cabo San Lucas -> Sea Day -> LA

8 hours ago, allinwonderland said:

This itinerary happens only a few times per year, typically when another Carnival ship (currently the Miracle) is in Cabo on Thursday + another non-Carnival ship. 

Clocks are never moved forward for Cabo, whether it’s this route, the 6-day or 5-day runs that include Cabo on the Panorama and Miracle.

4 hours ago, ronrythm said:

I have also done this 20+ times and I asked one of the CDs. That trip we had done 2 time changes to match with PV. The CD explained that it was a decision between he and the captain, what time changes and when to do them. They were trying the double change, but probably weren’t going to keep it, as it was too hard on the crew. As always, your mileage may vary.

There has to be a standard, as Carnival works with third parties to provide services long before the CD and sometimes captain is known.  “Can you begin tendering for us at 8am, 9am or 10am, depending on what decision the CD and captain makes” just doesn’t fly.  

In the dozens of times I’ve done these ports since 2001, PV has always been a one hour time change and Cabo no change. 

Mexico has abolished Daylight Savings Time outside of the states that border the US. Everywhere else in Mexico ended Daylight Savings Time permanently in October 2022:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_Mexico

Prior experience may not be a useful guide for 2023 sailings. Depending on the exact date of the OP's sailing, it may be different than even other March departures.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Mexico has abolished Daylight Savings Time outside of the states that border the US. Everywhere else in Mexico ended Daylight Savings Time permanently in October 2022:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_Mexico

Prior experience may not be a useful guide for 2023 sailings. Depending on the exact date of the OP's sailing, it may be different than even other March departures.

Good point, but it isn’t likely to change anything since Cabo didn’t observe DST this year and PV wouldn’t change the clocks until April.  From a post earlier in the year, when LA changed its clocks before PV in March, the ship still moved an hour forward.

Also note that the US was suppose to end DST, but the bill never made it out of Congress.  Mexico was anticipating the US would end DST, and there’s a good chance it may still be observed until the US does so.

18 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

There has to be a standard, as Carnival works with third parties to provide services long before the CD and sometimes captain is known.  “Can you begin tendering for us at 8am, 9am or 10am, depending on what decision the CD and captain makes” just doesn’t fly.  

In the dozens of times I’ve done these ports since 2001, PV has always been a one hour time change and Cabo no change. 

What time the ship is on makes no difference to what local time the ship actually arrives at each port. That schedule doesn’t change as it is only dependent on distance and speed.

7 hours ago, ronrythm said:

What time the ship is on makes no difference to what local time the ship actually arrives at each port. That schedule doesn’t change as it is only dependent on distance and speed.

Do you think Carnival can schedule tours and activities based on the actual time, rather than ship time?  "Be ready at 9AM local time, but you may have to wait for 2+ hours, depending on when the CD determines 9AM is."  Not to mention that some tours/activities are open to land-based tourists...  Nor do they allow vendors on or some to service the ship before a certain time, as to not disturb the passengers.  This will impact the rest of the day.  There has to be some consistency to the timing for planning purposes - it cannot be a CD decision.