Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are in an accessabile Sky Suite on deck 12 room 2132    Wouldn’t be my first choice but booked late.  

The room seems larger than a normal SS.   Maybe others can comment on that. 

The patio is spacious and feels larger than I remembered but maybe we were only in SS on M-Class

418A8E6F-93DF-4BD4-9A48-B742E6C5A249.thumb.jpeg.5d7117be54423d79ae6bcbc0506a7a6d.jpeg

B70E305C-694F-4357-A464-4C0309221107.thumb.jpeg.c9901105b7f09eb2905675f39f09d6a9.jpeg

A98809C8-1D37-4073-93AC-446177B16D8C.thumb.jpeg.49d16c313e6da10b304d377cc96670de.jpeg

ar least it has a non-Kelley table that adjusts to dining level. 

D2869919-202C-4BB8-A8D2-437FFD9425E1.thumb.jpeg.d1d7ee29b01f75ff92f29c772cc669cf.jpeg

6083F759-69FC-4C8F-A409-CCD328A2AD6E.thumb.jpeg.4dfcedda43e9f712d4f25e84790d1396.jpeg

59DF62F0-E61A-4B67-8D82-784D455FF2D8.thumb.jpeg.e5e1cbb095a1cf93ab628dc9cc5968cb.jpeg

4C068FB3-D3BF-4114-9CAB-CAD52D79641A.thumb.jpeg.9f784691977d0f03d0f40fd88559655f.jpeg

I was using wide angle so make it look even larger 

As info..

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The room seems larger than a normal SS.   Maybe others can comment on that. 

I think it is bigger. We were in 2130 for the first leg of a back to back in September. Recommend you ask for extra towels to keep the shower from flooding. No matter what we did we always had some overflow.

We had a great surprise yesterday.   When we stopped by the Retreat we noticed that one of the Host's was Mar from Summit.   We were expecting Penelope who was also on Summit with us a couple months ago but she had to unexpectedly fly home due to family matters.

The other host had also left so the team is all new.      Mar was suppose to have gone to Sillhouette, then Edge and then Summit.   She only found out a day before her flight that they needed her on Solstice.    I feel sorry for the crew at times but they say they have to be flexible.     Many of you remember we had recommended Mar as a Retreat Manager.   SHE IS REALLY GOOD.  

We also were surprised to find that Anesthesia is the Retreat Manager.   They also moved Ken from Guest Relations to Retreat so this is new to him as well.   While the staff struggled with the sudden full turn over they grabbed the bull by the horn and are delivering a great experience.

• Like 7

Drinks las night at Retreat before dinner.  Singh is the bartender for this cruise but will be leaving at the end of the cruise after 9 months. 

while not revolutionized Michael’s Club is much better staffed than other ships.   In addition to the bartender they have a waiter ti serve snacks and a bar server or two. 

• Like 1

Night 1 Dinner at Luminea 

Amuse Bouche was an English Pea and Crabmeat

16697D0D-B1F0-4077-A929-9FB788AC4226.thumb.jpeg.cc4efc20c8ff6a66bdcfae8e86d93f2f.jpeg

I had the Crab Cake as a a starter  Iain had the Seafood Voulate (sorry no picture)

F916E95C-97A1-460B-90F1-B210F56C082D.thumb.jpeg.bef3b4ab375a7c13faa668c2012aa4a3.jpeg

For our Entree we both had the Black Sea Bass  and was excellent the picture came out terrible so will not post

For Desert Iain had the Cheese Platter which was nicely presented and the cheeses he loves.

AA53691F-CFD1-4122-B629-EA303E046011.thumb.jpeg.7a5a6fdec74c206f31b2596c9ae5f471.jpeg

I had the Olive Oil Lemon Custard -  Sounds terrible but you don't taste Olive Oil and is really light and tasty.

08B236F0-22B8-4B71-9978-7C66E0290466.thumb.jpeg.d2f6f8d91219f78befe2eb58aaba9ee2.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Drinks las night at Retreat before dinner.  Singh is the bartender for this cruise but will be leaving at the end of the cruise after 9 months. 

while not revolutionized Michael’s Club is much better staffed than other ships.   In addition to the bartender they have a waiter ti serve snacks and a bar server or two. 

What type of snacks do they have in Michaels Club?

13 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Your handicap SS is larger because you need to have room to drive a scooter or wheelchair.

Must be the reason.   The deck is especially nice and large.    Still getting used to the doors as they are power activated.   To answer the door you press a button next to the bathroom and it comes flying open.  It has to close itself after.

Love the room but it is right under an area in Ocean View where they roll the cars of dirty dishes to the Service Area.   Started hearing them roll the carts starting at 6:30. 

Thank goodness or those Wonderful Bose Sleep Buds.   Don't  hear a thing.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Hmm, I wonder if you brought an Ethernet switch you could hook into the ship's ethernet and get wired speed?   Very tempting.  Maybe I can convince someone on Millie to send me pictures before our April cruise. 

I'm sure it's possible but not sure would make much of a difference.   I believe the Apple computers in the cafe are hard wired.    Back many years ago they use to have a computer on the desk in the CS, RS and PH.    Even though wired the were just as slow.  I may try one out  and see.

Speeds are nothing like at home an definitely affected by things like capacity issues.   Yesterday a couple times my picture uploads failed and or just sat halfway uploaded.  Other times would load in seconds. 

13 hours ago, viperfoth said:

Not bad.  Better than sat.

Yea... I've been doing a lot of playing at home.   I had a Gigabyte UP and Down service installed a day before the cruise.    I'm still not getting full Gig speeds but suspect it's my Router and will try out a Google Nest when I get home.    I was going to try but have to register a different Mac Number.    

I can't complain but love to doddle.      I was getting 300 to 400 Meg wireless as oppose to Xfinity 100 Meg Down and 6 Up.

12 hours ago, ericftaylor said:

Hey Jim,

My mom and I will be joining the second half of your B2B on 12/11. We hope to get to meet you and Iain around the ship. We always hang out at the Sunset Bar so maybe we’ll run into you guys there. You two are absolute Celebrity cruise legends! Thanks for the doing the live updates! Have a great cruise. 

Glad you will be aboard.    You will definitely see us around that area.   My walking route between about 10:30 and 1:30 is a loop .      Full Loop Forward to the sunbathing deck down along the track to the stairs to Lawn Club -   Around Sunset Bar and back around.   When not walking Iain can usually be found in the Smoking area near the Sunset Bar.

12 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

I'm a regular lurker to your Lives and only occasionally post.  But what name would Iain choose if he did log on?  I'm imagining...

When researching something, ran across a series of posts from a Defying Gravity.  Somewhat later in the thread her husband creates an account to chirp in.  His name, of course, was I'm Gravity. 😆

He doesn't have a LogIn.   He's really not into CC at all.   Except of course his forced participation and my reading funny posts to him.

Very early on I use to go by Troy01   which was my nickname from Collage and I still use it for Starbucks.    It started as a joke about my Evil Twin - Troy. Some still don't realize Troy never existed.   Well maybe now they do if reading here.

Warning -   SS1  2132.       Our room is right under a major cart route to the Galley in Ocean View and you can definitely hear the carts start rolling early.    I'll have to put an entry on the Spreadsheet.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I vote for "Cheeky Grin."

LOL..     Actually I think I would use his Camp name -----   Ina May

I always get one of those pictures of him when I say -  Give me an Ina May.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

You did not need to use your mini router or PC to log in your Firestick?

Welcome aboard.  Have a great B2B.

Thanks

No it has a Captive Portal built in.     Sometimes it doesn't work.  Usually when you select the Wifi-Guest it just pops up like on your phone. 

This is a good article on it.

https://goconnectinc.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-for-travel#page-content

9 hours ago, abbydancer said:

I guess because you didn't have to wait.  I know that Princess has a lounge area at both 92 and 93.  93 has a separate waiting room and 92 has an area.

There may be.  But for us when I walked thought the door I just asked where do suites check in and they pointed to a lady 5 feet away how immediately checked us in and invited us to directly board the ship.     Others were directed to a big room to the Left.

8 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

OMG! Already on page 17 and you just sailed today. I am really behind but will follow along as I really enjoy your reviews. Wishing both of you a fantastic adventure.

I think it was just the initial rush to grab a good chair.   LOL.    I have to admit on the first day I was overwhelmed.     It is so nice to see so many that I have chatted with and met over the years are following along.

I forgot to mention we also met a CC member while going through security -   I didn't catch her full handle but it was something "Cruiser"      We were quickly moved on and didn't have a chance to chat.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maggieq said:

Love the solstice. It was our first celebrity ship. The food was probably the best we have had in all all of our cruises.  Have a wonderful cruise! 😊

Thanks for the Photos.   We haven't really explored much of the ship so far but have to say she is in good condition.    While she is getting older she is aging gracefully.

I've see a few of the decorations but do need to get out more and explore today -  Day at sea.

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Is your handicap suite under the rear portion of the OVC? I have wondered how the noise is back there. Also, are any of the counters lower than normal to accomodate a wheelchair user? We have a friend who is fairly new to a wheelchair and trying to get them to sail with us sometime. 

It is  noisy but like living near a train track you get use to it fairly quickly.

The room is well designed for wheelchair access.   Wider doors which are push button controlled,  Emergancy call pulls in bedroom and next to each bed.    The desk is at a height you could get a wheel chair under.   Bathroom raised toiled, lower sink and a shower you could get a wheelchair in and a seat for bathing.    They also have handrail for both the toilet and the shower.

One thing I like is they have a small metal dam on the edge of the shower so water doesn't come sloshing out like on an M-Class.   

They also have a cocktail table that has variable height adjustment so you could bring it to wheel chair level.    They also have a built in carpeted ramp to get onto the deck and as mentioned the room is large enough to easily drive a chair around.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guindalf said:

We're also booked in an accessible Sky Suite!  We're in 2132 I think. is that the one you're in? 

That's the one. we are in.   It is almost totally aft and like I said noisy.  You can hear carts about every 15 minutes and walking from OV.

1 hour ago, cruzzzinma said:

I think it is bigger. We were in 2130 for the first leg of a back to back in September. Recommend you ask for extra towels to keep the shower from flooding. No matter what we did we always had some overflow.

This one has a triangle shaped dame across the threshold and so fare ZERO water.    When on Millennium we had one and had to build a dyke of rolled up towels as water would flow everywhere.     That was the one thing I hated about the shower.   So far very pleased.

I do have to say we are having incredibly smooth waters so that may change if we get into heavier seas.    So far expected to remain glass smooth.