Venice to Chiaggio-What the best way to get there?

miami mama

We will be taking the Venice, Adriatic and Greece cruise next year. After confirming with Viking about the port they will be using in Venice (on numerous occasions), we made reservations to come in a day early and spend the night in Venice. We planned on doing a private tour in the morning and then transferring to the port in the afternoon. Today we received an email from Viking informing us that the port will now be in Chiaggio. I am totally frustrated by this as when I called Viking each time I mentioned that the new regulations required cruises to use ports in other areas and I needed to know if Chiaggio was going to be used since I would need to make other arrangements for transportation.

I am now looking into car (taxis, etc.) services to facilitate the transfer to the port. I've already looked at tripadvisor about car service between Venice and Chiaggio but have not found anything. I believe longterm had to engage a car service for this very thing so I'm guessing others might have also. Any recommendations for reliable service between the two areas would be greatly appreciated.   

• Like 1

There is no convenient way to get to this port on your own.  We're doing the Venice 2 day pre extension so Viking will arrange transport to the ship after the hotel stay.  But even with this extension, there will only be one full day in central Venice (not counting arrival day or hotel checkout/ship transfer day).  I thought the original plan was to use Marghera.  The potential for 3 hours on a bus to again visit central Venice from Chioggia is unappealing.  Viking might consider expanding the Venice pre to 3 days if they continue to use Chioggia as a docking location.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, millybess said:

We received the same email today. The email states that if needed you can arrange for a Viking transfer from Venice to Chioggia. I believe this can be done through MVJ. 

Can it be done through MVJ? I couldn't find a way, and the email states to contact the reservations desk to book a Viking transfer.

We come in on the 16th and typically Viking will not consider transfers for those that come in early. Because of the difficulty of getting to Chioggia, we thought to go back to the airport and get a transfer for the 17th.

Going back into Venice on the 18th is not very appealing to us knowing half of the time will be on the bus. I know docking at this port effected the amount of time available in Split on a previous cruise. If that occurs, in addition to limiting time in Venice, we will be very disappointed. 

We were assured the port was right there across from Venice at Marghera. In fact, the agent just couldn't understand why I kept asking the question.

Really not looking forward to spending that extra time on travel trying to get to Chioggia, whether it is on our own or doubling back to the airport and going with Viking. 

We are doing a B2B with Venice in the middle of that. We spent a lot of time in Venice a few years ago so we aren’t anxious to see it again. On this trip, we would like to see the outer islands, so now we’re scrambling to find a way to do that without the bus ride from Chioggia. 

33 minutes ago, millybess said:

Yeah but that form says to use it "If you are arranging your own air and purchased an airport transfer from Viking", which to me implies you should already have purchased the transfer before you use the form.

On the other hand, the link to that page from MVJ says "To purchase transfers from the airport to your ship or hotel because you have arranged your own air travel, please complete and submit the Transfer Request Form."  Which, in direct contrast to the form itself, sounds like it's a way to purchase your transfer.

So who knows. I'll probably just wait a few days for the rush to die down and call them instead to be sure.

4 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Yeah but that form says to use it "If you are arranging your own air and purchased an airport transfer from Viking", which to me implies you should already have purchased the transfer before you use the form.

No. We have purchased the transfer this way 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

On the other hand, the link to that page from MVJ says "To purchase transfers from the airport to your ship or hotel because you have arranged your own air travel, please complete and submit the Transfer Request Form."  Which, in direct contrast to the form itself, sounds like it's a way to purchase your transfer.

Which is exactly what we did, but in the end, we cancelled it because it was cheaper (and more fun!) to have a private driver. However, that might not be the case here. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, miami mama said:

Roll call is a possibility. Thanks millybess.

And take a look at Trip Advisor forums. That’s usually where we find well-recommended ground transportation. It has always worked out for us. Normally, you’ll get a nice little tour of things you didn’t get to see, with excellent local commentary, on the way to your destination. 

Yes that is the thread I remember reading, just got the name wrong on who booked a private car. Thanks for bringing that back up. It is because of that thread I contacted Viking in September to again be assured we would be next to Venice, not in Chiaggio. 

I will review that thread, post on Tripadvisor and as well as contact our hotel in Venice for a recommendation. 

• Like 1

We’re booked for Empires of the Med in April on the Viking Sea leaving out of Venice and just got this generic email too. Despite saying there will be excursions from Chiaggio, the Sea does not stay overnight—so there should not be any excursions for our embarkation day.

We are arriving into Venice three days early and staying there. The generic email says if traveling independently to this cruise we can book transfers to the ship. We’ll try it and see—even though the generic form for transfers in MVJ asks what our flight numbers and times are for our transfer day. Have always been told before that you can’t even buy if not flying in on day of embarkation. We will try to get them to pick us up at the airport in conjunction with other Viking transfers on embarkation day. Worth a shot—because that link to the thread referenced above says they booked a private car or taxi for €140! Ouch!

• 3 months later...

Hello all, Steve and Tracy from Houston here. I have been deep diving into the fastest and most affordable way to get from VCE airport to the port in Chioggia. So far "Connectotransfers" see https://connectotransfers.com/en/transfer/venice-airport/chioggia/1/2023-04-02/FoRm has the best rates at 110 Euro for up to 3pax but only 28 Euros more for up to 7 travelers! Does anyone feel like splitting this transfer? We arrive at Marco Polo airport at 1400 on April 2nd. Any other options that seems better would be most appreciated. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hockeydoc2112 said:

We arrive at Marco Polo airport at 1400 on April 2nd. Any other options that seems better would be most appreciated. Thanks!

If you are on the April 2nd Mediterranean Odyssey, you might want to post in the roll call. We are on the pre cruise extension but others are looking for transportation options. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 6:30 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

So will our free included excursion for each port of call be an excursion to Venice or an excursion to Chioggia?

Thanks for asking this -- I realize your post is a little older... what did you find out (if anything) since then?

On 8/24/2023 at 9:11 PM, wannavacay said:

Thanks for asking this -- I realize your post is a little older... what did you find out (if anything) since then?

The excursion to Venice was included. The tour part was pretty basic. More of an orientation of where the highlights are. And then you had free time on your own.

• Thanks 1