How big a deal is it to grab a free drink for a friend who doesn't have the drinks package?

pookel

13 minutes ago, pookel said:

Oof, sorry this turned into such a contentious topic. I'm still trying to gauge how I feel about it. Like, sure, stealing is stealing, right? But there are levels of wrongness, like if I take an extra beer from my friend's fridge without asking, that's pretty different from if I stole his car, and THAT would be pretty different from if I embezzled $1 million from his business. Filling an extra drink for a friend seems on the minor end of things to me, but I'll keep in mind how many people here seem to think it's a serious offense.

I think the reality is nobody feels too bad about taking a drink from someone charging like a 400% upcharge against their cost for a drink or stealing from a huge corporation.  If you were to grab four packs of gum from a mom and pop convenience store everyone would  say it's clearly theft.  Everyone has a different view.  I would have absolutely no problem doing it knowing they get their fair share of skin from me on a sailing.

• Like 2

I hear everyone who thinks they may be justified in breaking the T&C and sharing their drinks with people that didn’t buy the package. It’s very easy to turn your complaint about something into something justifiable. It’s easy to talk about how fast is too fast to drive. How many drinks is too many. And NCL came up with the people in the same cabin must buy it and you feel forced and don’t like it, so it is ok for you to protest by taking the drink and giving it to someone else, because NCL basically asked for it because they set it up this way. 

So if an NCL employee is cleaning your stateroom and thinks you should tip or tip more, how many dollar bills, or clothes or other items of value can they take from your stateroom before you feel like what they are doing is immoral, dishonest, or illegal? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pookel said:

Oof, sorry this turned into such a contentious topic. I'm still trying to gauge how I feel about it. Like, sure, stealing is stealing, right? But there are levels of wrongness, like if I take an extra beer from my friend's fridge without asking, that's pretty different from if I stole his car, and THAT would be pretty different from if I embezzled $1 million from his business. Filling an extra drink for a friend seems on the minor end of things to me, but I'll keep in mind how many people here seem to think it's a serious offense.

Once again, you present extremes. Stealing A is "OK", but stealing B is "BAD"...where you you draw the line? At what point exactly does the "level of wrongness" register on your moral compass?

Or look at it another way...with the drink package you could order rum & coke, after rum & coke, after rum & coke, until you personally consume all of the rum in the bottle at the bar....and that would be OK as it is within the terms of the promotion. However...would it be OK then for you to reach over the bar, grab the entire bottle of rum, and take it with you back to your room to consume as you wish?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

I think the reality is nobody feels too bad about taking a drink from someone charging like a 400% upcharge against their cost for a drink or stealing from a huge corporation.  If you were to grab four packs of gum from a mom and pop convenience store everyone would  say it's clearly theft.  Everyone has a different view.  I would have absolutely no problem doing it knowing they get their fair share of skin from me on a sailing.

This behavior is part of the reason there is a 400% markup. Chicken or the egg. Be the solution, not the problem. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

Right...and once again, we're presented with extremes. Mom & Pop vs a "huge corporation" (ever notice that the corporations are always "huge"?). Where would you draw the line. Its OK to steal from "a huge corporation", so how small would the corporation need to be before you'd not steal?

• Like 3

Just now, SeaShark said:

Right...and once again, we're presented with extremes. Mom & Pop vs a "huge corporation" (ever notice that the corporations are always "huge"?). Where would you draw the line. Its OK to steal from "a huge corporation", so how small would the corporation need to be before you'd not steal?

The cruise industry is trying to survive the pandemic and everything that happened the last three years. I’m not playing the violins for these companies, but it is hard to believe that they are some corporate giant that laughs with every drink package consumers buy. I think they are hurting and feeling the costs of waste and theft. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

BTW...it isn't about "winning" an argument. There is no argument, only a discussion. Likewise, there is no winning, either. Personally, it doesn't bother me if you're wrong about something...that only reflects poorly on you, not on me. However, I also don't have an issue with standing firm on my beliefs.

Hmm, OK, but in my English lexicon, someone who goes to the trouble of asserting that another person is "wrong," as you did, certainly does seem to be concerned about winning. Or at the very least, hoping to be proven right. And I don't have an issue with you standing firm on your beliefs, but it seems you do have a problem with others standing firm on theirs. I'm out. Have a great evening!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

That's not the issue. If one person buys the UBP (Unlimited Beverage Package), then the other adult in the same cabin MUST buy it. That's the "forcing" part. And I was using $99 pppd because that's still the price (January is next month), and when we booked back in April 2022, the price was $99.

You're missing the point.  Why would just one person want to buy the Free Beverage package when they can just do al a cart and buy around eight drinks a day?  It makes far more sense for most people to just not buy the Free Drinks.  And, the real price is not $99 but $119 after adding the gratuities.  

• Like 1

Anyway, I think you ought to ask yourself why it's so important to you to win some pointless argument against a total stranger. I don't really care, it's fine if you don't agree with me. Not going to lose any sleep over it. For me, I'm looking forward to our trip!

If this is so unimportant to you, why are you making so many posts?

• Like 5

Hmm, OK, but in my English lexicon, someone who goes to the trouble of asserting that another person is "wrong," as you did, certainly does seem to be concerned about winning. Or at the very least, hoping to be proven right. And I don't have an issue with you standing firm on your beliefs, but it seems you do have a problem with others standing firm on theirs. I'm out. Have a great evening!

"seems to be" is the operative phrase, no? And I don't need to be proven right...I'm comfortable in my beliefs. When I'm wrong, I own it, and when I'm right...nothing needs to be proven. (Again, much funnier to let those who are wrong show it. You know, like I give you the shovel and you just keep digging your way out of the hole). No problem with others standing firm in their beliefs either, but as PATRLR showed above, yours seem to be very fluid.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

If this is so unimportant to you, why are you making so many posts?

The topic is unimportant to him, not the opportunity to stir the pot.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, juju2454 said:

Wow rough crowd tonight. S.A.L.T.Y.  

Good Answers to be used,
1)Not a good Idea.
2)Could lose your FAS Package.

3)Your friends would expect it.
4)Might feel guilty,

Everything else was just a bunch of holier than thou answers.   Must be  a perfect crowd in here.  Esp that last one with the sorry not sorry apology...  

Years ago this forum became judgemental and pretty salty, apparently it has returned, how sad.  

I’m not reading a y holier than thou answers. Stealing is stealing. Who would ask such a question in a public forum??????

• Like 3

Ok, I'll bite....how does this work with kids drinks? We have the drink package, my son has the soda package. There is no package for mocktails like on Royal. My son wants a virgin daquiri. I'm allowed to get 2 drinks when I walk up to the bar. I order my 2 drinks and hand them my card...the bartender asks why...I tell him to charge the daquiri b/c it's for my son and there is no premium kid package like on RC...he hands it  back and doesn't charge me. Am I free to take the freebee or am I a big lying loser destined for H E double hockey sticks for my sin against Norwegian (and God). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, asmit4 said:

Ok, I'll bite....how does this work with kids drinks? We have the drink package, my son has the soda package. There is no package for mocktails like on Royal. My son wants a virgin daquiri. I'm allowed to get 2 drinks when I walk up to the bar. I order my 2 drinks and hand them my card...the bartender asks why...I tell him to charge the daquiri b/c it's for my son and there is no premium kid package like on RC...he hands it  back and doesn't charge me. Am I free to take the freebee or am I a big lying loser destined for H E double hockey sticks for my sin against Norwegian (and God). 

I think even the hardliners regarding the T&C agreed that an occasional taste or drink isn’t a big deal. In your case you bought packages for your entire family. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

• Like 2