***HELP*** NCL AIR QUESTION

KAYKAY121

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We usually fly United basic economy, no changes, not even with fees.

Thank you. I was curious so I looked it up, and this is what United's website says about Basic Economy:

"Basic Economy tickets can’t be changed, and refunds aren’t allowed except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy. After 24 hours, Basic Economy tickets may be eligible for a travel credit when canceled, less a Basic Economy cancellation charge starting at $99 for a roundtrip itinerary."

So while not a change, per se, you might be entitled to a travel credit, which is something at least. (And I'm aware the OP was on American, not United.)

On 11/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, Karaboudjan said:

Look up throwaway ticketing if you want to know what could happen and what is likely to happen.

I am glad you italicized the could part, because it's definitely a "it's in the rules, but takes a lot to get the airline to enact" kind of thing. I have done throwaway tickets several times throughout the years, even with the same airline, and nothing happens. Doing it once or twice has an almost zero percent chance of getting penalized. Now, if you make a regular habit of it on the same airline, that may start causing penalties and issue. 

On 11/29/2022 at 3:52 PM, davencl said:

Assuming you won't be checking luggage I don't see a problem.   Yes you'd  not get any refund, or are you due any for that leg.

Even that can be a "it depends" kind of thing. For example, if you're booked, say, LHR-ATL-BNA and but want to get off in Atlanta, it's not really an issue because you'll need to claim your bag in Atlanta anyways to clear customs...you just wouldn't re-check it afterwards, and would instead just walk out of the airport with it. 

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Can you explain what you mean by this? What do you mean they don't allow changes? I've never heard of that. Do you mean "free changes," or no changes at all? I think depending on the fare class you might have to pay a change fee, cancellation fee, or rebook fee, but in all my years of flying I've never heard of an airline saying you can't make any changes whatsoever. That would be news to me. Anyway, regardless, I hope it all works out for you, I can certainly understand wanting to get home earlier.

Definitely happens with some fares. I believe the "basic economy" fare (or equivalent) on United, Delta, America, Alaska, and Hawaiian all restrict changes/cancellations, even with a fee.