Specialty restaurants

MarkWiltonM

1 minute ago, tigerfan75 said:

Mysteriously, on my two bookings for Vista in Summer 2023, the online Manage Account only mentions the allowable number of reservations in Polo and Toscana.  No mention of Red Ginger or Embers.  Perhaps an I.T. issue yet to be resolved?

maybe by the time  you sail it will be sorted out 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You remind me of me and my husband, we are an interracial gay couple with a noticeable age difference.  Have totally given up on sitting at anything but a table for two.  We are both so not sensitive and have a great sense of humor (just ask us Lol) but some of the questions we have been asked, rather quizzed about, were beyond personal and inappropriate.  

It's getting the silent treatment once you're figured out that's most annoying. Only once was it really obvious, when this couple flat out refused to sit with us in Jacques. We were at the table when the couple was brought over. "We're not sitting here! was the response. The waiter asked why. The lady thought first & exclaimed it was too close to the entrance. I said "if we were any further we'd  be sitting in the ocean." I Asked the waiter to please find someone else. We dined by ourselves & couldn 't be any happier.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

This ^^

Ask once on board, right at the start, and make sure you explain that this is *not* an "extra" dining request but rather you are trying to get "your one guaranteed" reservation at whichever restaurant.  You may not get the evening or the time you most prefer, but you will have an opportunity to eat there.

(Include that you want just a table for two; give a reason if you wish, or not.  I'm sure they have heard all kinds of special requests.)

Don't start off with a negative attitude such as "being locked out" before the cruise has even started.  Many difficulties can be remedied, and some/most of them without any difficulties.

GC

Not negative, but never had to deal with ALL the time slots filled this early. Yes we will check on board. Either way we'll be fine.

4 minutes ago, rbtan said:

It's getting the silent treatment once you're figured out that's most annoying. Only once was it really obvious, when this couple flat out refused to sit with us in Jacques. We were at the table when the couple was brought over. "We're not sitting here! was the response. The waiter asked why. The lady thought first & exclaimed it was too close to the entrance. I said "if we were any further we'd  be sitting in the ocean." I Asked the waiter to please find someone else. We dined by ourselves & couldn 't be any happier.

That is too bad  that you were subjected to that type of behavior

We have  had  enjoyable  conversations with several same sex couples 

Hopefully  you will find more suitable table mates if you decide to share a table again

• Like 1

RBtan-

I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope we will be on the same cruise together at some point and I would be thrilled to meet you both and share a meal! Your attitude goes a long way to prove that this is the other couples' problem---not yours!

Edited by mtadk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mtadk said:

RBtan-

I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope we will be on the same cruise together at some point and I would be thrilled to meet you both and share a meal! Your attitude goes a long way to prove that this is the other couples' problem---not yours!

It's true that you'd expect more worldly pax on a line like O. I guess that's not always the case, but we just go with the flow & have a great time.It is tough to beat the ambience on Oceania.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Purely anecdotal, but there were many more same-sex couples on our RT Miami Marina Caribbean cruise which disembarked December 18 than on our previous dozen Oceania cruises, the last of which disembarked March 11, 2020. (Very slow but hopefully steady progress.)

A brief walk down my Oceania memory lane: When we first started cruising, which was not until 2008, our shipboard friends Jim (may his memory always be for a blessing) and Stan really stood out. I never ever will forget the birthday lunch for me that  Jim arranged in Pontone on the Amalfi Coast or the birthday dinner at Polo that Jim arranged in honor of Stan. I never previously had sampled a different wine at every course like he ordered for that wonderful occasion. Great times!

Jim and the late Don Horner taught me so much about cruising and specifically Oceania on this very board.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 5

So sad people get treated this way.  I know many gay couples and trans and they are almost all wonderful people.  Know one gay couple who are total jerks.  Same with all groups some good some bad.  It really doesn't matter will enjoy dining with any nice people.  Different can often be the most interesting.  Hoping for more change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Purely anecdotal, but there were many more same-sex couples on our RT Miami Marina Caribbean cruise which disembarked December 18 than on our previous dozen Oceania cruises, the last of which disembarked March 11, 2020. (Very slow but hopefully steady progress.)

A brief walk down my Oceania memory lane: When we first started cruising, which was not until 2008, our shipboard friends Jim (may his memory always be for a blessing) and Stan really stood out. I never ever will forget the birthday lunch for me that  Jim arranged in Pontone on the Amalfi Coast or the birthday dinner at Polo that Jim arranged in honor of Stan. I never previously had sampled a different wine at every course like he ordered for that wonderful occasion. Great times!

Jim and the late Don Horner taught me so much about cruising and specifically Oceania on this very board.

Didn't know them but have seen many posts from years back. They seemed like a wonderful couple.