Upgrade Offer - opinions welcome!

mathed101

My husband and I are on the NA sailing this Sunday, December 4th in stateroom 4168 which has the double sized balcony and is a VB category.

The offer we received today is as follows for a 7 day cruise:

Neptune $499 pp or Signature $199 pp.

What do you think about this offer? What would you do and why?

Thanks for your input! 

Need more info:

Are you 4 star yet? If not free laundry in Neptune.

What is the blank space next to 4168? The balcony is great size but is there noise factor? 

The signature suite is almost similar size as Neptune but you won't have the Neptune Lounge and Concierge which is nice (used to be better lounge food pre covid). If you haven't booked a Neptune suite, why not try it. We used to travel Neptune but found we didn't need the space and SS is just as well (without the lounge 🙁). I would say try Neptune if you don't think you will ever get a chance although be careful you'll get spoiled. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I would enjoy the double wide balcony more than I would enjoy the extra room in the Signature Suite.  Now, the Neptune is a different story…all the perks!

Agreed! The Neptune seems to be the only option because we chose that room for the balcony!

• Like 1

How interesting, we are in the other double-balcony room exactly one week later than you. If I got a similar offer I think I would give it much consideration - but probably pass. Sig suites seem not much larger than regular rooms. Neptune are about double the size, but price not quite worth it to me.

1 hour ago, mathed101 said:

My husband and I are on the NA sailing this Sunday, December 4th in stateroom 4168 which has the double sized balcony and is a VB category.

The offer we received today is as follows for a 7 day cruise:

Neptune $499 pp or Signature $199 pp.

What do you think about this offer? What would you do and why?

Thanks for your input! 

You have the room you wanted. Would you have paid $1000 more for the Neptune when you booked originally?

That is a good question! We have thought about that too but since this cruise was originally booked in 2019 for March 2020 we had FCC to use so it didn't cross our minds at that time. So much has happened since then that it's difficult to say. Thanks for your input!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mathed101 said:

That is a good question! We have thought about that too but since this cruise was originally booked in 2019 for March 2020 we had FCC to use so it didn't cross our minds at that time. So much has happened since then that it's difficult to say. Thanks for your input!!

The other question would be where the Neptune suite is located. It's nicer on 7 deck with the lounge but you may be on a different deck if that matters to you. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

The balcony would be almost twice as big as a regular verandah balcony, so it would be almost the same as your double wide verandah balcony.

I upgraded from a verandah to a signature suite on the Oosterdam.  The room was significantly larger.  The balcony was not.

We upgraded to an SS a few months ago (have had them before on deck 6).  This one was on deck 8, which has all public space above.  We definitely heard trolleys from the Lido in the wee hours.  Would not upgrade to that again.

Normally the upgrade for a Signature to a Neptune runs $200-300.  Add more to go from a Verandah of course.  IMO, the real value of the upsell is that you get to pick your cabin - the difference from an SC to SA cabin can be as much as $700 to $1000 for a 7 day cruise.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I upgraded from a verandah to a signature suite on the Oosterdam.  The room was significantly larger.  The balcony was not.

??? confused here.  The SS cabins are significantly wider than verandah cabins, therefore, the balcony is also much wider.

• Like 2

You have probably decided what to do but here’s my input.  I love balcony on your booked cabin on deck 4. But you should choose the Neptune Suite as long as you know what cabin you are getting.  The SQ Neptune Suites  on the front of the ship have practically no balcony.  Don’t take a NS guarantee, know which cabin you are upgrading to.  With the NS you will get free laundry, priority tender boarding, the neptune lounge, a lot more space in the room and a big balcony.

• Like 3

@julia We usually book aft verandahs which are deeper BUT not as wide as the Signature suite we upgraded to on the Oosterdam.  I’m not sure if you measured square feet which verandah would be larger.

I was hoping the SS would allow us to have a meal on the verandah but there was not a table large enough to hold our dinner plates.  We ate on the cocktail table in the cabin instead of outside. Not the experience I was hoping for in a suite.  We will stick to our aft cabins.  Others may prefer the room in the suites.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, REOVA said:

Need more info:

Are you 4 star yet? If not free laundry in Neptune.

What is the blank space next to 4168? The balcony is great size but is there noise factor? 

No noise factor there. We have stayed in both the double wide balcony cabins on NA on deck 4. Loved them. 4168 has nicer than average bathroom configuration but has the ever irritating shower curtain. I prefer the showers in verandahs on the Pinnacle class ships. 

All that said, Neptunes are mighty sweet suites and Signatures offer some good space plus usually have a nice balcony (though not all are equal). I'd jump at the upgrade. 

• Like 1

Thanks so all of you for your opinions, they really helped me with the decision! 

I decided to go with the Neptune suite! 

Since the price of the suite $3199 pp is out of our normal range the upgrade allows to try it without the full expense. Our cabin was $1169 with HIA and crew appreciation so I think we did pretty good!

I only have three days to learn all about the Neptune. I have checked HAL's website and I will do some searching on CC. If anyone wants to tell me about any and all things that they like about the Neptune suite life, please do!! 🙂

• Like 7