Book Safe Travel Insurance Question for Medical Evacuation on NCL

Red-Sol

I always get some form of insurance for any of our cruises. I sleep better knowing I have it. My biggest fear has always been what would happen if either of us needed Emergency Evacuation. I have also always heard that Medical Evacuation could easily run over $100,000 so I always get that amount as a minimum. We have an upcoming cruise in April to Bermuda on Prima. I started looking at BookSafe Travel Protection through NCL and noticed that their Standard Plan has up to $20,000 for Medical Evacuation while the Platinum Plan has up to $50,000 for Evacuation...and it got me thinking that maybe the numbers I have always heard about for Medical Evacuation have been too high. So my question is do any of you out there have any thoughts as to what the actual costs of a medical evacuation might really be? Thanks!

This article might offer some info as to price ranges, which vary widely as expected - $20,000 would be on the low end.  Probably a good idea to check into one's own health plan coverage as to the fine prints, ours supposed to include worldwide emergency care.  

https://health.costhelper.com/air-ambulances.html

• Thanks 1

The broker who answers questions on the insurance forum said the average he has seen is in the $25,000 range. Remember that evacuation in travel insurance means transfer from one hospital to another if you need a higher level of care. It does not necessarily mean you will be flown directly to the US to a hospital of your choice. Usually people are treated locally and are flown home by commercial air when they are able to travel.

Evacuation does not mean air/sea rescue. That is performed by the appropriately trained and equipped division of the military from the nearest country capable of providing the service. When it happens, there is no charge until the patient is handed over to the civilian medical care system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

This article might offer some info as to price ranges, which vary widely as expected - $20,000 would be on the low end.  Probably a good idea to check into one's own health plan coverage as to the fine prints, ours supposed to include worldwide emergency care.  

https://health.costhelper.com/air-ambulances.html

That is very helpful...Thank You!

43 minutes ago, Babr said:

The broker who answers questions on the insurance forum said the average he has seen is in the $25,000 range. Remember that evacuation in travel insurance means transfer from one hospital to another if you need a higher level of care. It does not necessarily mean you will be flown directly to the US to a hospital of your choice. Usually people are treated locally and are flown home by commercial air when they are able to travel.

Evacuation does not mean air/sea rescue. That is performed by the appropriately trained and equipped division of the military from the nearest country capable of providing the service. When it happens, there is no charge until the patient is handed over to the civilian medical care system. 

Thank you very much I have learned something new from you! I always assumed that evacuation meant being flown off the ship to somewhere.

• Like 1

You might want to spend some time in the travel insurance forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

The broker who is present in that forum, Steve, from TripInsuranceStore is very helpful.  You should visit his site, educate yourself a bit and then feel free to call him.  He and his staff (there are only a couple others on staff) are extremely helpful and knowledgeable.   www.tripinsurancestore.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Besides the excellent advice above, you may also want to look into an annual membership with Medjet, which will transport you home from one hospital to another (as long as you are at least 150 miles from home). 

https://medjetassist.com/

To be more clear, MJA will transport you from the hospital where you are an "inpatient" at least 150 miles from home, to the hospital of your choice in the USA (for USA-based clients).  That could be your home hospital or some specialty hospital (but then, getting home would be "on you" after that).

You would need to be stable enough to travel, which makes sense, although it's with full air ambulance if required.

When we travel (e.g., pre-COVID!), we get an annual plan which then covers our major trips as well as any short notice visits to friends/family or for business, when we don't need regular travel insurance, but we'd prefer to have any extended hospital stay be at home, where the medical staff know us, if we are able to be transported, etc.

They do have "per trip" coverage as well.

And we strongly recommend TripInsuranceStore.com - but CALL them, as the fine print can really matter; they can discuss your specific situation, which might not be clear from limited online summaries.

GC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

You might want to spend some time in the travel insurance forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

The broker who is present in that forum, Steve, from TripInsuranceStore is very helpful.  You should visit his site, educate yourself a bit and then feel free to call him.  He and his staff (there are only a couple others on staff) are extremely helpful and knowledgeable.   www.tripinsurancestore.com

I 2nd this. Steve is extremely nice and helpful, as well as knowledgeable. He helped us choose insurance for our trip which starts tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

Just a Blanket Thank You for all the replies. I am a little stunned at my own lack of knowlege regarding the way some of the insurance plans actually work along with the varied options and will be taking everyone's advice to heart.

• Like 2