Hold that 2nd Lobster Tail and 3rd Entree in the MDR

MACE

4 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Such an emotional topic! 

I can see why people are disappointed. Lobster night has always been a thing, and some waiters really play it up with the extra tails. Maybe its success is part of the problem. It has become somewhat of a competitive eating challenge for some folks. But nothing is really free. The rest of the passengers have to subsidize the few who are having four+ tails. Having never personally consumed that many, I can't argue against charging for it, though charging after two would be my preference. They are tiny, two seems reasonable as a portion size. 

I can't imagine canceling a cruise over this issue but I understand the disappointment. Loving lobster night doesn't mean you are some gluttonous hog who deserves a trough in the back of the buffet. We all have things that are important to us.

As mentioned, apples to oranges.  They are replacing warm water tails with cold water Maine tails.  The market price difference is about 2 - 3x.  Rather than moaning about having to pay for an extra, better quality Maine Lobster tail, maybe everyone should be bombarding Royal Caribbean to stick with the smaller, poorer quality warm water tails so that they can gorge on them.

4 hours ago, Robo1098 said:

The F&B manager said that the Symphony "test" menu will be rolled out fleet wide in January.

Were you on Symphony and heard this directly from the F&B manager? Or is this from the telephone game that is currently happening on FB? You were on a cruise in October from Port Canaveral, so not Symphony. Have you been on Symphony after that when they started the test?  

Until there is an official announcement that the menu, EXACTLY as being currently presented with no study of the results or feedback, is made by Royal Caribbean, nothing can be believed. It is all speculation and wild theories. Just the fact that nobody realizes the difference between the two lobsters speaks to the lack of credibility of the rumors.

Why in the world would the F&B manager start announcing things before the test is completed?  Does he personally know the results of the test. It makes no sense. And even if he did, it is still his own speculation since nothing has been announced.  I highly doubt he has early insider information to the suits' final decisions.

Edited by cured

Well... If someone doesn't care for the new MDR menu daily menu changes, the Premium Selections of Lobster Tail, Chop's Filet Mignon and the Surf and Turf all seem to have survived the changes and remain on the new MDR menus.

4 hours ago, cured said:

As mentioned, apples to oranges.  They are replacing warm water tails with cold water Maine tails.  The market price difference is about 2 - 3x.  Rather than moaning about having to pay for an extra, better quality Maine Lobster tail, maybe everyone should be bombarding Royal Caribbean to stick with the smaller, poorer quality warm water tails so that they can gorge on them.

People need to read the details before jumping straight in. On a ship where you can virtually get something to eat 24/7 I know I would prefer 1 of the much higher quality and larger lobster tails. It's like going to chops and saying you can have all you can eat small Round steaks or 1 large juicy rib-eye.  

I'm new to cruising.  That said, if certain menu items were being offered for an upcharge and I didn't think the price was justified ... fine ... I'd book a cruise on another line.  What's so difficult about that?  Not happy, leave.  It strikes me as silly to argue about this.  Over time things change.  Adapt or make other decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cured said:

Were you on Symphony and heard this directly from the F&B manager? Or is this from the telephone game that is currently happening on FB? You were on a cruise in October from Port Canaveral, so not Symphony. Have you been on Symphony after that when they started the test?  

Until there is an official announcement that the menu, EXACTLY as being currently presented with no study of the results or feedback, is made by Royal Caribbean, nothing can be believed. It is all speculation and wild theories. Just the fact that nobody realizes the difference between the two lobsters speaks to the lack of credibility of the rumors.

Why in the world would the F&B manager start announcing things before the test is completed?  Does he personally know the results of the test. It makes no sense. And even if he did, it is still his own speculation since nothing has been announced.  I highly doubt he has early insider information to the suits' final decisions.

It's not really a test menu, it's really going to be the "New" menus.

I don't think Royal needs to test anything they do. They just do what they want and you either go with it or you jump ship and book another cruise line.

Not that big of deal to them., They don't need our opinions as far as calling it a test.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Longford said:

Cruising might be good "bang for your buck", but for many of us ... probably not.  An alternative to other forms of vacation and travel?  Yes.  But less expensive?  

I'm a solo traveler, so my per person cost is higher than what a couple pays ... individually.  Add various expensive drink packages, internet, specialty dining, excursions, gratuities, etc. and it can be the more expensive option ... depending on the level of travel one chooses otherwise.

BTW:  I don't like imitation lobster ... such as "lobster tail".  Give me real Main lobster, and I might eat it.  It's not a choice I make eating in restaurants where I live, so I'd not be ordering lobster stomach/tail onboard the ship.  🙂  Offer me a quality filet of beef, or some lamb chops ... and I'd take the bait!

As the majority of people travel with at least one travel partner, a cruise is still the most bang for your buck. If you chose to travel alone then of course there are expenses that would normally be a shared cost that is solely on the person traveling. Thats the way a lot of things in life work. Technically these are not "imitation Lobster" as they are in that family classification. But as you stated, its your choose to not have it if you dont like it. When you break down  the price of a basic cruise with no add ons, a reduced menu in the MDR seems on par. As for "skimpy" I have eaten at various restaurants around the world that offer one or two choices daily based on freshness, availability and chef's mood. Those have been my absolute favorite meals. Michelin stars have been awarded to food windows offering only two  items. The "skimpy" doesnt bother me as long as the choices are good.

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It's not really a test menu, it's really going to be the "New" menus.

I don't think Royal needs to test anything they do. They just do what they want and you either go with it or you jump ship and book another cruise line.

Not that big of deal to them., They don't need our opinions as far as calling it a test.

Its just like the post-cruise survey. Nothing changes... they do what they want no matter the input. Save your time. 

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I don't believe most see it as just a "trial". It's about the start of endless cost cutting and nickel and dimming. The road to less choice of food, while at the same time charging more for extras etc. IMHO

You hit the nail on the head!  This is nothing more than cutting costs AGAIN.  

• Like 3

My post was in regard to Royal doing a trail of adding new Fees, this time in the MDR

Some have replied it's nothing more than Royal cost cutting and and nickel and dimming.

We all know once a mainstream Cruise Line does something like this, others usually follow.

Have you all read that Guests onboard Norwegian Cruise Line ships have begun to confirm a new $4.95 service fee for continental breakfast room service is now being charged?

Edited by MACE

On 12/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, fredmdcruisers said:

Its just like the post-cruise survey. Nothing changes... they do what they want no matter the input. Save your time. 

I am confused. How is it a cost saving measure to sub out the mini Caribbean lobster tails when the market value of the Maine lobster is about 3x+ the warm water lobster?   This is the same type of lobster that has always been available at Chops for a fee. Now every cruiser can get one complimentary in the MDR. Sounds like an upgrade to me.

Edited by cured
  • Thanks 2

On 12/4/2022 at 7:50 PM, bretts173 said:

People need to read the details before jumping straight in. On a ship where you can virtually get something to eat 24/7 I know I would prefer 1 of the much higher quality and larger lobster tails. It's like going to chops and saying you can have all you can eat small Round steaks or 1 large juicy rib-eye.  

The devil is in the details. No one has any idea as to the size or quality. 

• Like 1