Are Itinerary Choices Anemic?

BrianLo

Much of this is surely chalked up to load factors and ‘post’-pandemic profitability. I’ve just noted that as 2024 deployment rolls out that variety is few and far between. A lot of itineraries are far leaner compared to competitors with more sea days (albeit with the ship focus maybe that is the point).

Of course they are all in on the Caribbean and the shift to Australia seems a bright spot. I get why Asia and the Baltics are still absent. Where is South America, or really any consistent British Isles or Northern Europe. Let’s not even get into the African continent or Middle East.

Was Royal shifting like this pre pandemic? 

Yes!  It seems Royal is doing more shorter cruises and is hitting more lackluster islands.  Personally, I'm hoping for better choices in February-March when 2024 schedules come out.  

Do you think this is some kind of "hold over" from the pandemic?  I'm trying to see a reason, and I can't.  Well, I know they want to push their own Perfect Day at CocoCay -- I'm sure it's a big money day for them -- but, aside from that, I just can't see any reasons.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianLo said:

I’ve just noted that as 2024 deployment rolls out that variety is few and far between.

Don't look for variety with RCI, especially with O and I class ships

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Royal hasn't done South America for a long time and I don't remember them doing Africa.

Celebrity does South America and NCL does Africa.

Ah I guess it was always more this way. I was expecting more this go round and was chalking it up to the pandemic. Though on their destination splash page they talk about exploring Arabian nights and when you look at the actual options there are zero.

I didn’t want to call it out specifically, but I keep looking to do royal and my calendar is almost exclusively going to NCL since the itineraries are almost always more interesting. 

Part of the problem is me as I am not looking for any Caribbean itineraries. Albeit when I stand in front of the plaque walls on the ships their past destinations are a lot more all encompassing than current itineraries suggest.

23 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes!  It seems Royal is doing more shorter cruises and is hitting more lackluster islands.  Personally, I'm hoping for better choices in February-March when 2024 schedules come out.  

Do you think this is some kind of "hold over" from the pandemic?  I'm trying to see a reason, and I can't.  Well, I know they want to push their own Perfect Day at CocoCay -- I'm sure it's a big money day for them -- but, aside from that, I just can't see any reasons.  

I think you hit the nail on the head. RCI wants as many ships as possible to visit Coco Cay. To a lesser degree the same principle applies to Labadee. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

22 hours ago, BrianLo said:

Ah I guess it was always more this way. I was expecting more this go round and was chalking it up to the pandemic. Though on their destination splash page they talk about exploring Arabian nights and when you look at the actual options there are zero.

I didn’t want to call it out specifically, but I keep looking to do royal and my calendar is almost exclusively going to NCL since the itineraries are almost always more interesting. 

Part of the problem is me as I am not looking for any Caribbean itineraries. Albeit when I stand in front of the plaque walls on the ships their past destinations are a lot more all encompassing than current itineraries suggest.

I think RCI is more focused on the ship being the destination than the ports. There are also a lot of people out there like me who have visited most Caribbean ports multiple times, so the itinerary is not too important.  But like you mentioned, there are also a lot of people out there who’s top priority is the ports, so they are more likely to look at other cruise lines outside of RCI. 

• Like 1