Wheelchair traveler

Ski Mom

Hello! I’m interested in taking a cruise with Viking on the Great Lakes expedition. I can walk short distances but do most of my transport on vacation in a manual wheelchair. I know this cruise is geared towards a more active traveler but the itinerary really interests me because I’ve never been to Niagara Falls or Mackinac Island and would also love to see the Great Lakes! I know there are no accessible cabins accept for suites and the ship does not allow scooters. My question is how friendly is the Viking cruise line to people with physical disabilities. Will they assist in boarding and is there any priority given to wheelchairs or people with mobility problems. I am traveling with my husband and I am only familiar with Princess and Celebrity both of whom are wonderful to people with disabilities in making their boarding and embarking safe and worry free. I spoke to a very nice representative from Viking and he said he could provide a raised toilet seat and a shower chair in the bathroom. I have read some of the brochures and faqs on Viking’s website and it states that although they allow wheelchair passengers that they cannot assist in pushing or lifting a wheelchair. I fully understand that and like I said I will be traveling with my husband who is perfectly capable of doing all that. It’s just that in the past cruises I’ve been on the crew always took over when we were getting on and off the ship. My question is would I be comfortable traveling with Viking or should I stick with a line that I’m familiar with and that welcomes people with physical challenges. Unfortunately none of the cruise lines have this itinerary.  Thank you for any information or feedback you could give me.

Have not been on either of the expedition ships, but Viking expect travellers to be able to cope without help from crew, there is no priority boarding, but allowances are made for disabled seating on tour buses if requested in advance. 

The disabled rooms are ADA standard and don't meet UK requirements (if that is relevant) 

All equipment must be accommodated in your room and any health impairments or disabilities should be notified to Viking in advance. 

The boarding ramps on the ocean ships are actually stairs of varying steepness. Viking don't arrange a crew person to assist (although frequently somebody will) 

I travel on Viking ocean with a wheelchair without major problems, but suitability depends on individual abilities

Yes, but the Expedition ships are an entirely different experience. 

OP should discuss suitability directly with Viking, as there are itineraries that cannot accommodate pax in wheel chairs because of considerations that go beyond the ship and the crew. 

Contact them at tellus@vikingcruises.com.  It is a few rungs up the customer service ladder and should be able to discuss not just issues onboard the ship but at the various ports as well.  

Edited by Peregrina651