Ever used only 1/2 of RT ticket?

ioanab

I would really like not to use cruise air, but my cruise is a transatlantic, which means one way back from Europe. I could not find any reasonable one way fares. However, I did find a round trip that's much cheaper than the one way. Has anyone just used the outbound portion of their ticket but not the return? Can you think of any reason why it would be a bad idea to do so?

Also, we plan to use JetBlue into JFK . It arrives around 8 am, cruise departs at 4:30 (May 9th, so weather should be fine). We're still thinking it would be most prudent to fly the day before. Has anyone had any bad experiences/cancellations with JetBlue?

Thanks!

JoAnn

I've done this from time to time. Technically, the airline could pursue you for the difference between the fare you've paid and the fare for the journey you've actually made, but unless you're known to be a regular offender, the chances of this happening are very, very slim. AFAIK, the only individuals who've been pursued in this way are frequent flyers who wave a red flag by including their frequent flyer numbers in all their itineraries so that the airline can see that they're throwing away tickets to evade fare conditions. If you only do it once, the airline will almost certainly never care enough to even lift a finger.

I would really like not to use cruise air, but my cruise is a transatlantic, which means one way back from Europe. I could not find any reasonable one way fares. However, I did find a round trip that's much cheaper than the one way. Has anyone just used the outbound portion of their ticket but not the return? Can you think of any reason why it would be a bad idea to do so?

Also, we plan to use JetBlue into JFK . It arrives around 8 am, cruise departs at 4:30 (May 9th, so weather should be fine). We're still thinking it would be most prudent to fly the day before. Has anyone had any bad experiences/cancellations with JetBlue?

Thanks!

JoAnn

Are you buying an international RT ticket? Starts in Europe/US/Europe? Do NOT buy US/Europe/US ticket, but I figure you already knew that. If you miss US/Europe segment, your ticket is worthless.

IF you get caught, the airline COULD make you pay full fare for your one way ticket.

After all the warnings, lots of people have done this. DO NOT do it on an airline where you have a lot of FF miles or an airline credit card. TOO easy to link you to the non flown segment.

Have you tried Aer Lingus? They are one of the few European carriers that sell one way tickets at reasonable prices. I just popped May 25-$369.00 all in, London to JFK. Not a bad price.

Are you buying an international RT ticket? Starts in Europe/US/Europe? Do NOT buy US/Europe/US ticket, but I figure you already knew that. If you miss US/Europe segment, your ticket is worthless.

IF you get caught, the airline COULD make you pay full fare for your one way ticket.

After all the warnings, lots of people have done this. DO NOT do it on an airline where you have a lot of FF miles or an airline credit card. TOO easy to link you to the non flown segment.

Have you tried Aer Lingus? They are one of the few European carriers that sell one way tickets at reasonable prices. I just popped May 25-$369.00 all in, London to JFK. Not a bad price.

My cruise ends in Europe, so I was planning to buy Europe/US/Europe and use the Europe/US segment (which would come first anyway), and then skip on the US/Europe (I'd already be back in the US by then) - basically not leave the US. Unfortunately, I'm coming back from Copenhagen, so there are not as many options as from London...

My cruise ends in Europe, so I was planning to buy Europe/US/Europe and use the Europe/US segment (which would come first anyway), and then skip on the US/Europe (I'd already be back in the US by then) - basically not leave the US. Unfortunately, I'm coming back from Copenhagen, so there are not as many options as from London...

Take an intra-Europe flight to London. BA has one way flights to LHR for $88.00. If you don't have a lot of luggage, you could book EasyJet to London (Stanstead) for about $50.00. But then you have to figure out how and pay for transport from Stanstead to LHR or Gatwick.

There are soooo many ways to save money on air. Just depends on how much "hassle" you are willing to put up with.

I've found some open jaw tickets not much more expensive than regular round trip--have you tried pricing that way??

My initial searches did not come up with any results. I'll try again just to NY as opposed to all the way back to Sac. Thanks.

Take an intra-Europe flight to London. BA has one way flights to LHR for $88.00. If you don't have a lot of luggage, you could book EasyJet to London (Stanstead) for about $50.00. But then you have to figure out how and pay for transport from Stanstead to LHR or Gatwick.

There are soooo many ways to save money on air. Just depends on how much "hassle" you are willing to put up with.

Great suggestions, I'll look into CPH-LHR. Thanks!

One last thought and then I have to dash to the airport.

I did some serious checking this afternoon. I picked May 9-May 25.

The cheapest looks to be 3 tickets. SMF/NYC, cruise, Copehagen to London, then Continental/Aer Lingus to NY (the routing is AerLingus to Shannon, Ireland, Continental to NY). The European tickets can be booked today for the dates I picked for less than $500.00. $369.60 for the one way ticket to NY and $88.00 for the BA flight from Copenhagen. Then throw in $25.00 or so for a TA to book the London/Shannon/NY flight-two airlines, you may NOT be able to book it on Travelocity. And it comes up $445.00 on Aer Lingus site.

Enjoy!!!

One last thought and then I have to dash to the airport.

I did some serious checking this afternoon. I picked May 9-May 25.

The cheapest looks to be 3 tickets. SMF/NYC, cruise, Copehagen to London, then Continental/Aer Lingus to NY (the routing is AerLingus to Shannon, Ireland, Continental to NY). The European tickets can be booked today for the dates I picked for less than $500.00. $369.60 for the one way ticket to NY and $88.00 for the BA flight from Copenhagen. Then throw in $25.00 or so for a TA to book the London/Shannon/NY flight-two airlines, you may NOT be able to book it on Travelocity. And it comes up $445.00 on Aer Lingus site.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you so much for all your time and research!

Archived