Dining Packages - ins/outs ?

Tom-n-Cheryl

I'm looking at a 10-nt Edge sailing for next year and saw the Dining Package option. How does that work in reality? Is that 10 "meals" (where a couple could be lunches)? Does having that give you limited reservation times/nights?

You can't really book anything in advance, correct? 

The last few sailings we were in a RS, so I'm sure this has a few strings attached or compromises comparatively.

THANKS,

Tom

Biggest problem is you can’t make reservations in advance.  And depending on the ship and restaurant, some good times are definitely going to be gone and you will either not be able to dine where you want or when you want on some nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The benefit of the package is the discount the trade off is not booking until you are on the ship.

We the only available time for Fine Cut was 9:30 on last EC night when we had the package.  Could not get a time at Eden.  LPC and Roof Top Grill had more night available but times were either 5:30/6 or 9/9:30.

we were on a 7 night sailing so a longer sailing may not be as booked.

• Thanks 1

We have done dining packages but found the amount of money saved as not worth being unable to guarantee a specific night and time.  Also one must go to the dining room upon arrival if you want good choices to arrange for your reservations after the first night.  We do go to Sushi on Five and using that as one of your choices is not cost effective(for us it averages $30 at most pp).

• Thanks 1

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree.  The tradeoff is booking exactly what and when you want to eat vs a discount.

Personally I would not want to eat every night in a specialty restaurant.   We enjoy eating in a regular dining venue with friends - both old and new - as well.

True - very true. We'd have access to Luminae as well, so that's a good alternate option. I think we ate there twice (for dinner) on our recent 14 nights - though enjoyed breakfast there more often.

Tom

We have only bought a dining package one time and we cancelled it after trying to make reservations. There was a large group on board that booked many speciality dining seats. We were offered 9:30 and 10 PM dining times. Yep, nope. They didn’t want to refund it but I was persistent.

23 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

We have only bought a dining package one time and we cancelled it after trying to make reservations. There was a large group on board that booked many speciality dining seats. We were offered 9:30 and 10 PM dining times. Yep, nope. They didn’t want to refund it but I was persistent.

Heck - sometimes I'm asleep by 10 (even on a cruise!), but then again I usually wake up by 5.

Tom

Guest 4-2-N-8

In my cruise planner, I see time slots available for all the restaurants next month on Beyond. If you bought a package, can't you directly book days/times?

Also, someone reached out to me and asked me what I wanted and which days/times.

34 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

In my cruise planner, I see time slots available for all the restaurants next month on Beyond. If you bought a package, can't you directly book days/times?

Also, someone reached out to me and asked me what I wanted and which days/times.

This is because of your stateroom category, perks & benefits. Not everyone will get that call. 

With a package you can't book any dining until once on board, doesn't matter that the cruise planner has availability. Many buy a package, get on board and dining options are super limited. 

Patty

Guest 4-2-N-8
56 minutes ago, cw2go said:

This is because of your stateroom category, perks & benefits. Not everyone will get that call. 

With a package you can't book any dining until once on board, doesn't matter that the cruise planner has availability. Many buy a package, get on board and dining options are super limited. 

Patty

Well, if nothing else, this is a legitimate and superior problem to gripe about. 😄