Train from Livorno to Florence

Macdooger4

Can somebody provide me very specific information on the train from Livorno to Florence? How long is the trip? Where is the station in relation to the cruise port? How do we pay (can we use credit card or pay in Euros)? Is it best to purchase a ticket in advance? is it safe? How far is the station in Florence to the sights? How often does it run, etc....whatever info you have would be much appreciated!!! THANK YOU!!

EN - Trenitalia

Livorno Centrale to Firenza SM Novella.  Takes around 1 1/2hrs each way.

We docked in Livorno in Sept 2019. There was a free shuttle to the Port entrance, then a city bus to the train station. At that time, NCL offered a direct shuttle from the ship to the station for $25. Pricey for what it was, but so we took it rather than waste time with transfers.   

We didn't know when we would arrive at the station so we just bought tickets on arrival. Two one-way tickets to Florence were cheaper than the shuttle to the station!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

EN - Trenitalia

Livorno Centrale to Firenza SM Novella.  Takes around 1 1/2hrs each way.

We docked in Livorno in Sept 2019. There was a free shuttle to the Port entrance, then a city bus to the train station. At that time, NCL offered a direct shuttle from the ship to the station for $25. Pricey for what it was, but so we took it rather than waste time with transfers.   

We didn't know when we would arrive at the station so we just bought tickets on arrival. Two one-way tickets to Florence were cheaper than the shuttle to the station!

Can you walk from the port to the station in Livorno? Do you know how long it would take?

The Livorno port is industrial. No passengers are allowed to walk through it. 

There are several options:

-- If you are on NCL you can take their shuttle direct to the train station. No other line (that I know of) offers this option.

-- There will be a line-up of taxis when you get off the ship. You can negotiate with them for a ride to the train station but many are unwilling to undertake this short trip -- they are looking for full-day fares to Florence or Pisa. Expect to pay 20-25 euros if you can find one willing to take you. (This would cover up to four people so you could try to find someone to share....)

-- The remaining option is to take the ship shuttle to a central piazza in Livorno that is also a transportation hub of sorts. Once there, take a city bus to the train station. OR consider the buses that leave directly from this piazza to Florence or Florence/Pisa (these are special buses laid on for tourists, not city buses and can be a good option). 

To answer your other questions about the train:

-- Yes it is safe. As always in urban areas, look out for pickpockets; keep your valuables in a spot that is not accessible.

-- You can use cash or credit card to purchase tickets. I would wait and buy them at the station just in case of changes to your schedule. There are machines in the station or you can wait in the ticket line. You can also purchase tickets in the little shop to the right of the ticket windows. 

CHECK THE TRENITALIA SCHEDULE (shared above) CAREFULLY.  As I recall, the trains from Livorno are frequent in the morning but when returning in the afternoon there is a period in the early-mid afternoon where there are not very many options.  Best advice I learned here is to always figure out what is the last train that you could take and still make it back to your ship (allowing time to get back once on the ground in Livorno) -- and then plan on taking the train BEFORE that one so that you have a "just in case" option.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Macdooger4 said:

Can you walk from the port to the station in Livorno? Do you know how long it would take?

No, you can't walk in the port; it's a busy industrial port, therefore a shuttle is provided. 

I checked my notes and the port shuttle drop off was at Piazza dei Municipo.  Use google to find the walking distance from there to Liverno Centrale. 

We felt perfectly safe using public transportation and wandering around, but were mindful of pickpockets as in any city.

When you leave SM Novello RR station you're just a few blocks from the Duomo. Again, use google maps to find specific distances.

• Like 1

Also, the trains between Livorno and Florence are all regionales, so there is no financial benefit to purchasing in advance.  You can, however, buy your ticket on your phone on the way to the station to avoid the lines at the ticket machines.  Or if you have a previous port stop in Italy you can buy your ticket at any train station with a ticket machine or ticket office.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

All good (and accurate information) above as far as I can recall.

When I went (years ago, now), there was no shuttle directly to (and hopefully from) the train station.  Had there been, I would have jumped on it in a heartbeat to simply things.  Even at a cost.

Instead, my group of 3 headed to the taxi line to see if we could convince one to take us to the train station.  Along that short walk, we teamed up with 2 strangers to make a group of 5 to split the cost of the taxi.  We paid 25 euros for the trip (keep in mind this was years ago, so it may be higher now).  So, we effectively paid 5 euros each for the taxi.  The first few taxi drivers declined us.  But we found one that eventually said yes.

We purchased tickets inside the train station at the service window.  We were able to find seats together on the train.  The train was safe.  Watch your valuables.  The Santa Maria Novella train station in Florence was just a short walk from the sites, so there should be no issue there.  Have a decent map (paper or on your phone) and you're good to go to walk everywhere.

Our only challenge was on the return trip.  Upon arrival back at the Livorno train station, there were no taxis waiting to take us back to the ship.  We waited at the taxi stand and others joined in.  After about 15 minutes or so, still no taxis.   I asked the agent inside if they could call a taxi.  He just shrugged his shoulders at me.  Then I saw a public bus waiting at the station and I somehow determined he was heading to the Piazza Grande, which is closer to the city center.  I can't recall if the bus driver spoke enough English or if it was signed on the bus or what.  But my group jumped on board and paid for it with some remaining euros.  I was thinking we'd be more likely to get a taxi to the ship from the more central city location.  However, while looking around, we saw shuttles to the cruise ships around the corner (closer to Piazza del Municipio).  So I approached the one which had a sign for our ship and asked if I could ride back.  I offered money, but the driver just waved us on.  I believe the payment was actually supposed to be done on the ship in the morning for the shuttle, but we never did pay for it.

So, bottom line, we got back to the ship in plenty of time.  But we were a little nervous when we faced no taxis at the train station.  If your ship has a dedicated ship-to-station shuttle that runs both ways, then this will greatly simplify the day.  

Even with that one issue, riding the train into Florence was a great decision for us.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

If you're looking to save time the train timetable seemed to be no faster than the cruise's bus excursion. We too thought about the train but the uncertainty in getting to the station, and returning back on time, made the added costs of the ships excursion to be preferable. There are several private tours available but the common complaints on message boards was the shuttles used had no bathrooms for the hour and a half ride.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikepmcm said:

If you're looking to save time the train timetable seemed to be no faster than the cruise's bus excursion. We too thought about the train but the uncertainty in getting to the station, and returning back on time, made the added costs of the ships excursion to be preferable. There are several private tours available but the common complaints on message boards was the shuttles used had no bathrooms for the hour and a half ride.

If you're on the ball and get your day started right away, you WILL have more time in Florence than via the bus tour, which invariably seems to make a long rest stop enroute to Florence. 

A few years ago I did a detailed post laying out the minute-by-minute process and you can have at least an additional hour to 90 minutes in Florence by using the train. It may not seem like a lot, but adding more than 10% more time over what most tours offer is often the difference between being able to see one more thing in Florence.

Also, I don't understand your statement about bathrooms. Rarely do coaches have working onboard bathrooms. On a true private tour, you can ask your driver for a stop whenever it's needed. If you're talking about a ship tour, surely it is not too much to think that a participant should be able to go at least 90 minutes without a bathroom break?  I just recently returned from a Med cruise where the transfer from Venice to Ravenna to board the ship was 3 hours -- no bathroom stop offered.

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you're on the ball and get your day started right away, you WILL have more time in Florence than via the bus tour, which invariably seems to make a long rest stop enroute to Florence. 

A few years ago I did a detailed post laying out the minute-by-minute process and you can have at least an additional hour to 90 minutes in Florence by using the train. It may not seem like a lot, but adding more than 10% more time over what most tours offer is often the difference between being able to see one more thing in Florence.

Also, I don't understand your statement about bathrooms. Rarely do coaches have working onboard bathrooms. On a true private tour, you can ask your driver for a stop whenever it's needed. If you're talking about a ship tour, surely it is not too much to think that a participant should be able to go at least 90 minutes without a bathroom break?  I just recently returned from a Med cruise where the transfer from Venice to Ravenna to board the ship was 3 hours -- no bathroom stop offered.

THank you everybody. We will be docked overnight in Livorno, so no need to rush back. Planning to do Florence on our own via train (since we can't miss the boat), then next day go to Pisa (we have until 7pm, so should be plenty of time to do on our own).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macdooger4 said:

THank you everybody. We will be docked overnight in Livorno, so no need to rush back. Planning to do Florence on our own via train (since we can't miss the boat), then next day go to Pisa (we have until 7pm, so should be plenty of time to do on our own).

Perfect plan, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Macdooger4 said:

You could stay overnight in Florence.  Enjoy lots of time and dinner there and next day go to Pisa on the way back to the ship. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, marazul said:

You could stay overnight in Florence.  Enjoy lots of time and dinner there and next day go to Pisa on the way back to the ship. 

Not a bad idea, except I don't really want to spend any more money, haha...thjhis trip is already costing a fortune!  

You'll have plenty of time to have dinner in Florence before heading back to the ship, if you want.  The last train departs Florence around 11 PM.  The only issue will be getting back to the ship from the train station, I think I might arrange that in advance.  It might be easier to arrange round trip transfers from the port to Pisa Centrale (you would have to change trains there in any case) rather than to Livorno (it may be too small of a trip for a car service to bother with and/or the price would be the same as going to Pisa).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You'll have plenty of time to have dinner in Florence before heading back to the ship, if you want.  The last train departs Florence around 11 PM.  The only issue will be getting back to the ship from the train station, I think I might arrange that in advance.  It might be easier to arrange round trip transfers from the port to Pisa Centrale (you would have to change trains there in any case) rather than to Livorno (it may be too small of a trip for a car service to bother with and/or the price would be the same as going to Pisa).

Thank you, we will def eat there, but likely will not stay too too late. Is it easy to get a taxi from livorno or Pisa train stations back to the ship, if we arrived back around 9PM?

As most restaurants don't even open for dinner until 7 PM or so, and the train ride back requires about 90 minutes, I doubt you'd be back by 9 PM.

At any rate, your odds of getting a taxi are much higher at Pisa than Livorno.  I would not count on taxi availability at Livorno, although you could get lucky.  If you speak Italian well enough to make a phone call you can call the company posted at the station.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

As most restaurants don't even open for dinner until 7 PM or so, and the train ride back requires about 90 minutes, I doubt you'd be back by 9 PM.

At any rate, your odds of getting a taxi are much higher at Pisa than Livorno.  I would not count on taxi availability at Livorno, although you could get lucky.  If you speak Italian well enough to make a phone call you can call the company posted at the station.

13 hours ago, Macdooger4 said:

Not a bad idea, except I don't really want to spend any more money, haha...thjhis trip is already costing a fortune!  

Macdooger- 

A taxi from Pisa should be about 50-65 euros.  Certainly more at night. 

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Pisa/Piazza-Luigi-Orlando-Livorno-Province-of-Livorno-Italy

A transfer service will be more expensive than the taxi. 

Not to sound crazy, but you can book a good, simple room in Florence for between 50 and 100 euros and it will include breakfast.  You can train to Pisa the next day for sightseeing.  Then train to Livorno followed by inexpensive bus or shuttle to the port.

I just did a fake booking for early May on one of the hotel search engines and it came up with about 115 rooms between 50 and 100 euros.  Some with very good ratings in simple guest houses or 1 or 2 star hotels.  They generally do not require prepayment and can be cancelled up to a day or so before arrival.  You could book one at no risk while you decide on other arrangements or reconsider your plans.  A night in Florence is something to really be enjoyed. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2022 at 2:38 AM, Rosebud3 said:

This is all very helpful, our ship also doing overnight in Livorno and we have hotel booked in Florence. The logistics of the train travel are still a bit confusing but at least we have lots of time

What hotel will you use? Thinking of this option as well. 

20 minutes ago, Macdooger4 said:

You should look for a B&B near Ponte Vecchio, preferably on the other side of the Arno River from the tourist sights. It’s more charming, and less chaotic. Its walking  distance to all the sights and train station. The views from Piazzale Michelangelo are pretty, if you are able interested in a moderately strenuous walk.

I would be wary of staying north of the main town or near the train station because it’s noisy and not as pretty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

You should look for a B&B near Ponte Vecchio, preferably on the other side of the Arno River from the tourist sights. It’s more charming, and less chaotic. Its walking  distance to all the sights and train station. The views from Piazzale Michelangelo are pretty, if you are able interested in a moderately strenuous walk.

I would be wary of staying north of the main town or near the train station because it’s noisy and not as pretty.

1 hour ago, Macdooger4 said:

I agree with Green Family's advice.  Make sure you check the hotel locations on a map. 

We have stayed at several locations in Florence. Just wanted to say that one of those was at a lovely hotel near the train station -- we did not hear any noise and thought the area nice enough -- perhaps not THE prettiest area but Florence is not like Rome in that the area around the train station is fairly unattractive. We were just next to the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella (it was between us and the train station).  Hotel Santa Maria Novella -- Very convenient to drop any bags from train station and also easy to get everywhere.  Probably not in a budget price-range in high season (we were able to get a rate just above $100/night in November....).  Plenty of good eateries nearby and safe of an evening to walk anywhere.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, marazul said:

Macdooger- 

A taxi from Pisa should be about 50-65 euros.  Certainly more at night. 

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Pisa/Piazza-Luigi-Orlando-Livorno-Province-of-Livorno-Italy

A transfer service will be more expensive than the taxi. 

Not to sound crazy, but you can book a good, simple room in Florence for between 50 and 100 euros and it will include breakfast.  You can train to Pisa the next day for sightseeing.  Then train to Livorno followed by inexpensive bus or shuttle to the port.

I just did a fake booking for early May on one of the hotel search engines and it came up with about 115 rooms between 50 and 100 euros.  Some with very good ratings in simple guest houses or 1 or 2 star hotels.  They generally do not require prepayment and can be cancelled up to a day or so before arrival.  You could book one at no risk while you decide on other arrangements or reconsider your plans.  A night in Florence is something to really be enjoyed. 

So we are reconsidering a hotel in Florence, this way we will have the entire day/night and the morning to explore. Any reccs for a decent hotel thats not too pricey and is near all the sights?