Anyone Else Receive This Email? HAL Needs Cash?

Roz

Yesterday I received this email from HAL regarding my Alaskan cruise next September:

"Dear Roz,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard your upcoming cruise! To show our appreciation, we’d like to extend a special offer. Receive a bonus $100 Onboard Credit on or before January 31 when you pay your remaining cruise fare balance in full by January 3.*

Your Onboard Credit is the best way to enjoy a relaxing massage, more adventures ashore or perhaps an elegant dinner at the Pinnacle Grill."

Usually when companies make offers like this it means they're having cash flow problems.  Your thoughts?  I have 2 cruises coming up shortly so I'm in no position to pay off the Sept. cruise even if I wanted to.

One of the reasons I'll never sail with Viking is their onerous final payment schedule, which requires you to make final payment shortly after putting down a deposit, even though the cruise may be one or two years away.  I've always thought they use their passengers as a bank to finance their rapid expansion.  

I suspect that incentivizing early payment is more about smart cashflow management rather than a more ominous problem (the later would likely result in policy change versus softer incentives). The incentive has a second value, too, as many people spend more than their OBC anyway to avoid losing it (and it's easy to justify because of "free money"). 

We do know that Carnival refinanced some of their debt recently, so there is certainly some strong pressure to perform ... but I don't think it's critical (yet). The most likely outcome if they're unable to meet their obligations is restructuring or selling off less profitable units, which likely would not affect many bookings. Generally, when there is a strong brand with a good inventory of rolling stock and strong sales potential, lenders prefer to adjust terms and eventually receive payment versus more severe remedies (where they could take more of a loss).

• Like 3

HAL made the same offer to me through my TA early in the Covid shut down.  I accepted the offer at that time, who would have thought the shut down would last so long!  

I got the same offer recently.  I had booked with a $1 deposit (an impulse buy) and I’m pretty sure I’m going to cancel before final payment is due. They can keep my dollar deposit.

If you pay off the cruise off early it will be more difficult to cancel.  HAL must have a cash flow problem.

• Like 1