Montevideo, what to do? Safe to do it on your own?

Shella73

HI, I am scheduled to be there January 14th, have not been impressed with the cruise lines offerings or anything I can find on typical sites. I was thinking of just doing it on my own but, am having problems getting enough information to make a plan to do it. Details on safety, activities, walkability have been hard to come by. I was wondering if someone has any 1st hand knowledge of the port they would like to share.

Thank you

11 hours ago, Shella73 said:

HI, I am scheduled to be there January 14th, have not been impressed with the cruise lines offerings or anything I can find on typical sites. I was thinking of just doing it on my own but, am having problems getting enough information to make a plan to do it. Details on safety, activities, walkability have been hard to come by. I was wondering if someone has any 1st hand knowledge of the port they would like to share.

Thank you

I am going on December 19 and arranged a tour of a local but we’ll known winery. Transportation from port,tour,tasting and food comes out to about $52 a person payable by card day of. If want details you can email me at Patrickhenneberry@yahoo.com prior to 12/15

Patrick

I do not know if it is the same now, but when we visited, the local Tourist Office gave out maps of a DIY walking tour around the centre of town. which began at the dock.

Had been warned it wasn't the safest place to be due to the risk of pickpocketing, soo advised to leave jewellery onboard and carry only the minimum cash/cards absolutely necessary.

As we followed the map of the walk, either the local council or the Tourist Info folks had stationed persons at corners and other strategic points, presumably to keep visitors on track and to keep an eye on them. Visitors could also ask them any questions.  I vaguely remember, but cannot be certain, that they were all wearing the same type of coloured  bib/tabard and official badges,so they could be easily identified as approachable. We did not feel at all unsafe.

We visited on a Saturday, and by the time we were finished sightseeing and  browsing stores for purchases, they were either already closed or about to close, so if there on a Saturday do shop before lunchtime.

Uruguay is known for the huge selection of coloured minerals and stones found there and there is a vast selection  for sale. We only bought a selection of smaller stones due to size and weight issues, but they come in all sizes and weights..

this was not a recent visit, so perhaps others could advise if it was the same or different for them.

Edited by edinburgher

Montevideo is very doable on your own.  Not far from the port there is a nice walk along a street closed to traffic that is lined with shops and cafes.  It passes several little parks and leads to the big arch opening to a square with all the government buildings and historical stuff.

Like any city - SA or Europe - be aware of your surroundings, wear your backpack on your chest, put your purse cross body, don't put wallets in pockets and leave all your valuables in the safe. We were there in 2020 and felt safe with cautionary measures.

• Like 1

In 2019 we went on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus. The tour began right across the street right outside the port gates. At that time the cost was $22/person and could be purchased with a credit card right at the bus.

After doing the full loop on the bus, we spent time walking through the stands at the Mercado del Puerto by the port. 

It was an enjoyable day and didn't require any preplanning to do.

Blog post from Montevideo

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AryMay said:

In 2019 we went on the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus. The tour began right across the street right outside the port gates. At that time the cost was $22/person and could be purchased with a credit card right at the bus.

After doing the full loop on the bus, we spent time walking through the stands at the Mercado del Puerto by the port. 

It was an enjoyable day and didn't require any preplanning to do.

Blog post from Montevideo

Perfect, thanks for the information! This sounds perfect. 

21 hours ago, edinburgher said:

I do not know if it is the same now, but when we visited, the local Tourist Office gave out maps of a DIY walking tour around the centre of town. which began at the dock.

Had been warned it wasn't the safest place to be due to the risk of pickpocketing, soo advised to leave jewellery onboard and carry only the minimum cash/cards absolutely necessary.

As we followed the map of the walk, either the local council or the Tourist Info folks had stationed persons at corners and other strategic points, presumably to keep visitors on track and to keep an eye on them. Visitors could also ask them any questions.  I vaguely remember, but cannot be certain, that they were all wearing the same type of coloured  bib/tabard and official badges,so they could be easily identified as approachable. We did not feel at all unsafe.

We visited on a Saturday, and by the time we were finished sightseeing and  browsing stores for purchases, they were either already closed or about to close, so if there on a Saturday do shop before lunchtime.

Uruguay is known for the huge selection of coloured minerals and stones found there and there is a vast selection  for sale. We only bought a selection of smaller stones due to size and weight issues, but they come in all sizes and weights..

this was not a recent visit, so perhaps others could advise if it was the same or different for them.

Good to know, and yes, we will be there in a Saturday. 

we will be there in a Saturday. 

Do allow for early closing if they still close at lunchtime on Saturdays  and shop before then.

Biggest difficulty is choosing from the vast selection of coloured gemstones and minerals which in addition to being sold in natural forms, are also incorporated into many other items such as jewellery, coasters etc.

One of the nicest places we browsed was the Artesan Market right in the city centre which we came across by chance.. Some beautiful hand crafted items for sale in there so definitely worth seeking out.

Edited by edinburgher

One of the nicest places we browsed was the Artisan Market right in the city centre which we came across by chance.

i should have clarified that this was not tables/stalls  set up at a street market, but a craft market/stalls/tables inside a building.  I think i remember it had more than one level of craft stalls, but whatever, it was inside a building.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 6:58 AM, soccermom4 said:

Well, that's a bummer.  What does one do in Montevideo on a Sunday? Guess I'll do some more research.  Church and a nice walk on the quiet city streets might be in order.

There is a nice walk along the beach (wide sidewalk) that you can do directly from the port. There will be lots of people around on a Sunday.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 8:57 AM, tony s said:

I am going on December 19 and arranged a tour of a local but we’ll known winery. Transportation from port,tour,tasting and food comes out to about $52 a person payable by card day of. If want details you can email me at Patrickhenneberry@yahoo.com prior to 12/15

Patrick

Was really excited to do this, but the transport leaves at 10:00 and we do not get into port until 11:00 am.

Well, that's a bummer.  What does one do in Montevideo on a Sunday? Guess I'll do some more research.  Church and a nice walk on the quiet city streets might be in order.

Or maybe this would be the time to look at shorex?

Instead of opting to stay in town that day (it was a Saturday)many of the pax on our sailing opted for a shorex which was visiting a gaucho ranch. which included a BBQ.  I don't know what else they did there, but they did seem to enjoy it.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...