underage alcohol consumption

morich

I will be traveling with teenagers and am hoping that the room keys issued to them will prohibit any charges for alcohol. Has anyone had experience with this issue??

They didn't cut the corner on the cards for my daughter (16) and her 16 year old friend last week. I noticed it wasn't cut and tested it by having my daughter get me a drink, she was able to get it without a problem. I warned the girls that I would be checking the room charges every night, and they would have some explaining to do if any charges occured. They did enjoy being able to get into the spa pool, and also a couple of the late night shows that said they were for ages 18 and up.

I guess I could have went to the atrium desk and had the cards altered, but I wanted to show that I could trust the girls...at least some what.

I believe the lady who checked us in initially was new, she told us the yellow circle sticker (for suite VIPs) on our cards meant that we had missing lattitudes information in our files......LOL.

Margaret

They cut off one of the corners of their seapass card to identify them as ineligible to purchase alcohol. You're covered. :)

I have never seen them do that.

The onboard system will not alow a minor to charge alcohol. The most cooman way arround is to "borrow" your card. I picked up my son's card by mistake in Alaska and tried to charge a drink. The bartender said this can not be your card because I know you are not 19. :D

In the end a minor would be foolish to charge booze that would appear on his/her parents room charge. The bill is detailed with time and location. If you see charges while your sleeping it is time for a conversation.

While I agree about the need for conversation with underage drinking. I am actually travelling with two of my own children and two teens who are not my kids. I plan on establishing the rules of a great vacation prior to leaving, just prefer a belt and suspenders approach.

Thanks for your quick replies - I do appreciate

Watching your sign and sail account is a very good idea, as Shoreguy said, time and locations are noted on each charge. I was worried with my two kids with charges at the Bimimini Bar until I realized they were buying virgin frozen foo foo drinks, wait till the kids learn they can charge candy bars from the store to the card. :mad: It was a few days into the cruise before the kids realized I was watching just about every move by thier sign and sail cards. :D

This reminds me of a story a few years back about a kid that racked up $1500 in Internet bills in the ships internet cafe. I seem to recall the father trying to dispute it. My thought was - why aren't you watching your kid???? :o

This reminds me of a story a few years back about a kid that racked up $1500 in Internet bills in the ships internet cafe. I seem to recall the father trying to dispute it. My thought was - why aren't you watching your kid???? :o

We just returned from the Dawn with our 16 year old. They did not cut the corner off his card, but every time his card was swiped it indicated his age quite visibly. We noticed this when returning to the ship from a port.

The worst part for him was that they could not seem to straighten out his account, and every time he tried to make a purchase in the gift shop he was told he needed permission from his parents to make a purchase! :eek: After several attempts to rectify the problem at the Purser's Desk, and being told each time that the problem was fixed (only to have the same issue again) we finally gave up! The poor kid felt ridiculous!!!!!! :mad: Hopefully they'll rectify this situation soon.

They didn't cut the corner on the cards for my daughter (16) and her 16 year old friend last week. I noticed it wasn't cut and tested it by having my daughter get me a drink, she was able to get it without a problem. I warned the girls that I would be checking the room charges every night, and they would have some explaining to do if any charges occured. They did enjoy being able to get into the spa pool, and also a couple of the late night shows that said they were for ages 18 and up.

I guess I could have went to the atrium desk and had the cards altered, but I wanted to show that I could trust the girls...at least some what.

I believe the lady who checked us in initially was new, she told us the yellow circle sticker (for suite VIPs) on our cards meant that we had missing lattitudes information in our files......LOL.

Margaret

I'm glad you were able to trust the girls; when our granddaughters were teens I have no idea about the cards, I did think they were coded in some way; this was probably a slip up on NCLs part with your daughter. It is nice that the girls could do a few adult type things; I know when our one granddaughter was 17 and a senior, she didn't really want to hang out with the teen crowd so spent time with her 21 sister. Of course she couldn't drink (sure, as if sis didn't buy her anything) anyway she was at the inbetween stage. NMnita

When I was on the Dawn in Aug. 2005 I saw roving packs of 13 year olds with beer bottles in hand, presumably someone else bought it and gave it to them.

or they smuggled it onboard - but we don't want anyone checking for that:rolleyes: :D

There was just an interview on the Today show this morning with a father whose fifteen year old daughter fell overboard after having bought 12 drinks on her card. He was complaining that they sold the liquor to her, among other things.

Dottie

There was just an interview on the Today show this morning with a father whose fifteen year old daughter fell overboard after having bought 12 drinks on her card. He was complaining that they sold the liquor to her, among other things.

Dottie

did they mention what ship?

They did mention what ship but I don't remember. I just went to the Today site but couldn't find it. They were covering a story about Congress opening hearings on cruise ship crime. They talked about the George Smith issue on RCL line and said that 20 people have disappeared over the past three years.

Dottie

This is from CruiseJunkie.com's site...

January 5

Costa Magica

Costa Crociere

A 15 year old female passenger from Ireland was reported to have jumped overboard at 2:10AM as the ship was making its way toward Cozumel. A passenger wrote:

The young girl was extremely drunk. We (and others around us) called security many times because of the noise…they even came up at least 3 times to her room. She was partying with other kids in her family in that room.

She jumped overboard (or fell when she bent over the rail to vomit). We know this because ser sister came screaming down the hall: “My sister jumped overboard! Help!” I thought it was more drunken antics until security got there and she started talking with them. My two-door-down neighbor heard her tell security that she got in a fight with her boyfriend earlier and also that the bar cut her off. Here are several photos of the search -- there's not much to see -- they can be viewed by clicking here.

Ladies and gentelmen, I can tell you stories about underage drinking. I've got three sons who have been cruising with my wife and I for the past ten years. No matter what their room keys indicated, there were always other young people, over 21, who would buy kids booze. Face it, that is the way things are today. If kids, especially young girls, can hook up with older kids, the situation exists.

Aboard the Veendam, a young officer would buy young girls drinks in the observation lounge. I actually had a meeting with the Captain and the Food and Beverage Manager on the last evening of that cruise regarding this issue. There is a very old thread here some place titled "lock up your daughters". That young officer ended up getting fired.

Parents who bring teenagers on cruises should understand what can, and does happen. As a high school teacher, and parent, I know what I'm talking about!

How did I miss hearing the cruise line name? Hmmm....wait...I have a four month old. LOL :)

Yes Ma'am! And a mighty cute four month old, too! :D Nathan truly gets more adorable with every photo you take! Glad to see he's such a happy and healthy little boy.

Archived