Swapping cabins in/out of the Haven?

neurosurg

Hi all, I'm hoping we can get some advice here.

We are one month away from a big family cruise, and our family of 4 is with 2 adult relatives in a Haven 2 bedroom family room.  After a bit of family tension over the holidays, these 2 adult relatives want to move out to their own non-haven balcony room.

So I called NCL and they told me:

- $3300 "cancellation fee" to remove these 2 from the Haven reservation  PLUS the $3000 or so to rebook them into a balcony room!

I can tolerate a little family squabbling for $6600!

So I searched the boards here, and I couldn't find anything about this specific situation, but did see that many people just "swap" rooms at guest services as soon as they board, e.g. get key cards for the other room and just physically sleep in the different room.  We do have that option, as there is another party in our group with a balcony room, and would be willing to swap. 

But my question -- is that allowed?  As the two people getting swapped in would not technically have a keycard coded for the Haven, would that cause some trouble for us?  The two people moving out of the Haven don't really care about any of the Haven amenities, but I'm guessing we can't actually swap the names on the rooms once on the ship?  Or does anyone have a brilliant idea on how to avoid this "cancellation fee"?  Thank you all!

4 minutes ago, neurosurg said:

We do have that option, as there is another party in our group with a balcony room, and would be willing to swap. 

You can't just "swap" to give the 2 people in the balcony Haven access. The 2 Haven guests can sleep in the balcony stateroom if they don't want to sleep in the Haven stateroom. 

7 minutes ago, neurosurg said:

But my question -- is that allowed?  As the two people getting swapped in would not technically have a keycard coded for the Haven, would that cause some trouble for us?

The 2 non-Haven guests would not have Haven access. They cannot use the Haven pool, sundeck, lounge, bar, etc. The concierge could allow them to stay overnight in the Haven stateroom but the non-Haven guests wouldn't be allowed to come and go in and out of the Haven. 

11 minutes ago, neurosurg said:

The two people moving out of the Haven don't really care about any of the Haven amenities, but I'm guessing we can't actually swap the names on the rooms once on the ship?

No, you cannot. People are assigned different muster stations, (in this case) different DSC, different amenities, and so on. If the 2 don't care about the Haven amenities, those 2 can just use the room sleep, shower, s.... and spend the rest of their time out and about. 

The best option is for the 2 staying in the 2nd bedroom to stay where they are and just peacefully co-exist with the others in the suite for the duration of the cruise. Nobody has to eat together, spend time together outside of the stateroom, go on excursions together, etc. 

24 minutes ago, neurosurg said:

But my question -- is that allowed?  As the two people getting swapped in would not technically have a keycard coded for the Haven, would that cause some trouble for us?  The two people moving out of the Haven don't really care about any of the Haven amenities, but I'm guessing we can't actually swap the names on the rooms once on the ship?  Or does anyone have a brilliant idea on how to avoid this "cancellation fee"?  Thank you all!

It's been reported that the concierge can see (closed circuit tv) who is using their cards to swipe into the haven and can compare that image to those stored in their computer.  IOW, the concierge would see that unauthorized persons were attempting to access the cabin.  That could cause some trouble.

Having a Haven cabin does not obligate anyone to use the haven amenities.  Nor, does it prevent anyone from using non-haven amenities.  

Sorry you are dealing with this headache on what should be a wonderful family cruise in terrific accommodations....something to look forward to, not spend your time trying to mop-up the mess.  Uggh.

Rather than cancel the 2 from the Haven room to rebook in a separate balcony.... call NCL back and ask to just switch the names on the cabins. Move the 2 Haven folks to the balcony room, and the 2 names on the balcony room into that Haven room.

They may be willing to do that since you still have a month to go for a lot less $$ than 6K. It's just swapping names on cabin rooms. As for the price difference that's for the 4 of them to work out as the Haven room should in theory cost more than their original balcony room.

Just hurry up and call them before you get to the 21 day check-in marker.