Christmas season questions

Tongiejayhawk

We leave this week for a 7 night cruise. This is our first time cruising with the ship decorated for Christmas. Do they allow door decorations on the entire door - meaning we wanted to have the door covered in wrapping paper to look like a present? Also, do they have carolers roaming the common areas singing? Do they have special Christmas musical performances? Any other differences for the weeks preceding Christmas?

6 minutes ago, Tongiejayhawk said:

We leave this week for a 7 night cruise. This is our first time cruising with the ship decorated for Christmas. Do they allow door decorations on the entire door - meaning we wanted to have the door covered in wrapping paper to look like a present? Also, do they have carolers roaming the common areas singing? Do they have special Christmas musical performances? Any other differences for the weeks preceding Christmas?

We are on Koningsdam now and have seen entire cabin doors decorated for Christmas.

There are some decorations around the ship, especially in the Atrium on decks 1-3. The only singers I have heard outside of the Music Walk performers are the bartenders and patrons at the Ocean Bar, spontaneously breaking into song and Hip Hip Hooray cheers. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have done two cruises over Christmas in the past and have never seen carolers.  And while there are some decorations, they really are not extensive.

Regarding cabin door decorations, I have seen doors done up (at all times of the year), but was told by someone once they were told no paper door decorations due to fire risks in the hall.  My guess is that if you ask, you are told the company line of no decorations, but if you just do it (and not excessive) no-one is going to tell you to take it off.  The old, beg forgiveness rather then ask permission.

1 minute ago, Tongiejayhawk said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little bummed that there won't be Christmas performances but am completely jazzed to be on the open seas again.

If you are on roll call for that cruise maybe someone will organize caroling around the ship (like the cabin crawls) or speak to the entertainment director/staff to see if they will do something spontaneous. When on the VoV in July, we asked the CD (who was on the GWC 2020) to put together a happy hour for GWC 2020 alum (we were all left in Perth Aus during the shut down). It was spontaneous, great getting everyone together and free drinks flowed. 😁 He also did a sing along at the piano (he plays) when the piano player got ill. (No free drinks then 🙄). They may not have free drinks but I'm sure they can put something together if asked. 

• Like 1

As the quasi-organizer for two Roll Calls (back-to-back for me), I received confirmation info from the ship's Event Coordinator, which included the following:

"Holland America Line Travel Agent partners are no longer permitted to place signage on guest stateroom doors during any voyage (including Grand Voyages, World Voyages, etc.)."

I'm pretty sure this is boilerplate with the confirmation and not directed at me. What I don't know is what it means to the "Travel Agent partners" -- no advertizing, or no decorations on doors?