Typical sea conditions in January and February? (I'm a novice!)

Parachute07

New to the board and to cruising - I hope you'll forgive my newbieness. I'm looking at the possibility of cruising on the Celebrity Infinity from Buenos Aires to Antarctica. I know that conditions can be unpredictable, but I'm trying to get a sense of how rough of a ride to likely expect. I tend to get seasick very easily without medication, but I've been mostly fine on boats with Dramamine (and on large cruise ships the motion hasn't bothered me much -- I took Dramamine during one rough sea day in the Mediterranean on a large cruise ship this year and on a recent Caribbean cruise I didn't take any medicine and I was fine). I have very young kids (ages 5 and 2) and they have been fine on large cruise ships, but both got seasick within an hour on a catamaran in the Mediterranean on a pretty calm sea day. I'm trying to get a sense of what to expect on a boat the size of the Infinity going down past Cape Horn and out to Paradise Bay, Gerlache Strait,  Elephant Island, etc. Are we very likely to hit seas rough enough to be knocking things off of shelves? If that is likely, is it likely to be that way for days at a time or hours or what? Has anyone done it and been completely miserable (or who expected to be miserable and was totally fine)?

I completely understand that it is impossible to predict sea conditions, I'm just hoping that someone here is familiar enough with it to help me make a more educated decision rather than winging it thinking "It'll probably be fine". I'm alternatively considering the same ship from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, which goes through the Strait of Magellan / around Cape Horn (doing that late March to early April). I'm going to post separately on the South America forum about that and I recognize that both of these cruises might be poor choices for us given sea sickness concerns (I'm open to being convinced not to pursue this course at all), but like I said I am trying to make an educated decision and I include that alternative in case anyone has done both and can offer a comparison. 

I appreciate any and all advice / wisdom.  

No one here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.  We went to Antarctica last February/March.  The first Drake Passage was very rough.  The return was fine. The cruise before us missed most of their landings due to terrible weather.  We were able to make two landings per day since our weather was glorious.  It is really a crap shoot.  On the voyage over, most of the ship, crew included, was ill.  It lasted 24 hours.  Take the meds early-long before you think you will need them.  Those that did had mild symptoms.

We are in Chile, abs will be boarding a ship for Antarctica this afternoon. 

You might consider doing what Silversea calls a “Bridge” cruise, in which you fly over the Drake Passage and join the ship in Antarctica (if I understand it correctly). 

We were all noobs at one time. Most folks here are very friendly and helpful. Asking questions is a good way to get answers. 

Sea conditions in the Drake Passage vary more from day to day than from month to month. You will experience anything from a perfectly calm sea with no waves to ...the opposite.

If the conditions are especially bad, the captain my choose to adjust the itinerary to delay or accelerate the crossing, because crossing the Drake in a storm is not pleasant for anyone.

You should absolutely plan for the worst. If you have ever gotten seasick, plan to have meds, and consider taking them at first sign of movement, before you start to feel sick. If you have anything particularly fragile, keep it in a safe space where it won't fall or slide. The bigger ships are going to be more stable than the smaller expedition ships, but this is a part of the world that is notorious for having rough conditions. And yes, conditions can change over the course of a few hours (including while you're sleeping, so it's important to secure your belongings before going to sleep).

On my first Drake crossing, we experienced a perfectly calm Drake Lake with virtually no waves at all. My most recent crossing was completely the opposite. One passenger broke her arm when the ship movement threw her balance off, and more than once we had everything in our cabin go toppling onto the floor and across the room. Hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

Edited by kaisatsu

I am going to give you the same answer that everyone else gave you.  It depends.  When we did our trip we had reasonable seas going over and mostly reasonable seas coming back.  Then when we got close to Cape Horn we hit a storm w more than 70 mph winds and high seas.  I like high seas so I enjoyed it.  Much less enjoyment for my wife and also for many of the other passengers based on the number of people in the dining room.

On another trip I went to the Falklands and to South Georgia Islands.  There was a really bad storm in the southern ocean but our captain managed to find a fairly calm route to the Falklands.   He did say though the storm was bad enough that some of the ships in Ushuaia were not going anywhere that day or maybe even the next day.  We did have a good storm on one of our days in South Georgia.

You may luck out or maybe you won't.   However if you can manage it will be one of the best cruises that you have ever taken.

I do note that you are planning to do the cruise on a larger cruise ship and not an expedition ship.  My trips were on expedition ships.  Most of your responses seem to assume that you are going to be on a smaller ship with landings instead of on a large ship. I would assume that the larger ships would handle rough seas better than the smaller expedition ships.  I should add that you can never totally predict sea conditions anywhere in the world.  You can get storms anywhere and even though captains avoid them if possible stuff happens.

Hope this helps.

DON

We did this itinerary  on one of the inaugural cruises on the Infinity.  First point -  over 12 seasons, the Infinity has done the trip at least 36 times, encountering severe wind and waves and she still floats!  Pretty great stats. Having gone thru 75 knot winds and 38 ft seas myself in the Drake, I was amazed at the engineering and construction aspect that such a ship could handle mother nature so well.  I would not hesitate to take this cruise again.

Second point.  Abandon higher level cabins and choose a cabin midship on Deck 6 or 7.  It is so much stable in heavy weather so you are covered if you encounter it.,  During our cruise pax from high and forward cabins slept in the grand Foyer because it was so bad up above,.

just sayin

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

On 12/12/2022 at 12:00 AM, Parachute07 said:

I completely understand that it is impossible to predict sea conditions, I'm just hoping that someone here is familiar enough with it to help me make a more educated decision rather than winging it thinking "It'll probably be fine". ...  

The above well-intentioned query generated these responses: 

On 12/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, scottjeanne said:

No one here is going to be able to give you a definitive answer.  We went to Antarctica last February/March.  The first Drake Passage was very rough.  The return was fine. ...

On 12/12/2022 at 3:40 PM, kaisatsu said:

Sea conditions in the Drake Passage vary more from day to day than from month to month. You will experience anything from a perfectly calm sea with no waves to ...the opposite.

On my first Drake crossing, we experienced a perfectly calm Drake Lake with virtually no waves at all. My most recent crossing was completely the opposite. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:41 PM, donaldsc said:

I am going to give you the same answer that everyone else gave you.  It depends.  When we did our trip we had reasonable seas going over and mostly reasonable seas coming back.  Then when we got close to Cape Horn we hit a storm w more than 70 mph winds and high seas. ...

I totally understand that this very common question is met with the standard answer that it is unpredictable, and go into "Drake lake" and "Drake shake" explanations, etc.

However, I believe that such answers are unsatisfactory.  Altough it may be correct that noone can predict when they book what the weather will be on the Drake Passage at the time of the cruise, surely there is enough data gathered over the years to give an expected value, or a distribution curve of the expected weather. 

Each of us understands that when you roll a fair die, to borrow a frequently used analogy, nobody can predict what the result will be.  But each of us would advise a novice to take a 1:10 payout gamble, and to avoid a 1:3 payout.  Why?  Because we understand that there is a 1 in 6 chance that a certain number will be thrown.

Likewise, I am confident that there is a database which lists how many days in a particular month the Drake exhibits each of the WMO Sea States.  Determining the average Sea State and standard deviation thereof, or a WMO Sea State population graph would help @Parachute07 and others to determine whether to make the gamble or not.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:56 AM, pdmlynek said:

I am confident that there is a database which lists how many days in a particular month the Drake exhibits each of the WMO Sea States.  Determining the average Sea State and standard deviation thereof, or a WMO Sea State population graph would help @Parachute07 and others to determine whether to make the gamble or not.

I think that would be great! I really look forward to seeing the statistics you come up with. They will indeed be very useful information to share with future travelers.

2 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I think that would be great! I really look forward to seeing the statistics you come up with. They will indeed be very useful information to share with future travelers.

Well, my very brief look into this has not turn up anything, but I am sure that such data is out there, and is analyzable. If so, I'll post it her in due time.  🙂 

Actually, given your expertise in Antarctica, particularly cruising in Antarctica -- you seem to be the most knowledgeble person on the subject -- I am surprised that you did have this information at your fingertips just like you have about almost any subject on Antarctica.

Your contributions to cruisecritic are important; I am one of your many fans.

I just did the "Bridge" trip where you fly into King George Island instead of taking the Drake.  The expedition leader told us the seas has waves up to 6 meters for what would have been the trip over AND the trip back.  So grateful I didn't cross the Drake.

That being said, flying into Antarctica can be just as weather-reliant as sailing.  If the weather is bad in the South Shetland islands, the planes won't fly, or they will turn around.  We were lucky - our flying weather was good.  A couple on our ship, however, had been scheduled on a Bridge cruise before ours, and it got canceled because they couldn't fly out to meet the ship.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:30 PM, Rothko1 said:

I just did the "Bridge" trip where you fly into King George Island instead of taking the Drake.  The expedition leader told us the seas has waves up to 6 meters for what would have been the trip over AND the trip back.  So grateful I didn't cross the Drake.

That being said, flying into Antarctica can be just as weather-reliant as sailing.  If the weather is bad in the South Shetland islands, the planes won't fly, or they will turn around.  We were lucky - our flying weather was good.  A couple on our ship, however, had been scheduled on a Bridge cruise before ours, and it got canceled because they couldn't fly out to meet the ship.

Thank you for this.  A few newbie questions, if you don't mind.

(1) The flight to South Shetland Islands is to the Chilean Marsh Airport, correct?  If so, then are the flights for cruisers generally from Chile as well, or do they fly there from USH as well? 

(2) I take it that you meet with your ship in Punta Arenas (or Ushuaia) before the cruise, and the ship takes your luggage?

(3)  Do you fly out the same day as the ship leaves and you wait for them at Base Friei, or does the ship leave first and then you fly out there day or two later?

(4) Is it significantly cheaper to fly then to sail?  Flying just seems like an extra headache, and it robs you of two or four sea days.

(5) Can you decide to fly only one leg, such as outbound or return, or do you have to book both?

(6)  Because you are not crossing any international boundaries while on the ship, do you have to pay any cabottage penalties?

(7) I presume that if the weather is predicted to be too bad for a return flight, then you would just remain on board, right?  They are not just going to let you off at Base Frei with the hope of making it back with the next flight, right?

(8)  Is there any chance of spending some time on King George by yourself?  Say, a few hours, or a few days, or a week? Just go out and enjoy back packing around the King George Island? Can you catch an ealier flight out to King George or catch a later flight out? With the exception of ASPA125 and ASPA150, and presumably the several stations, are there any other areas of Fildes Peninsula?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, pdmlynek said:

"...With the exception of ASPA125 and ASPA150, and presumably the several stations, are there any other areas of Fildes Peninsula?..."

should read: 

With the exception of ASPA125 and ASPA150, and presumably the several stations, are there any other areas of Fildes Peninsula that are off limits to tourists?"

47 minutes ago, pdmlynek said:

Thank you for this.  A few newbie questions, if you don't mind.

(1) The flight to South Shetland Islands is to the Chilean Marsh Airport, correct?  If so, then are the flights for cruisers generally from Chile as well, or do they fly there from USH as well? 

(2) I take it that you meet with your ship in Punta Arenas (or Ushuaia) before the cruise, and the ship takes your luggage?

(3)  Do you fly out the same day as the ship leaves and you wait for them at Base Friei, or does the ship leave first and then you fly out there day or two later?

(4) Is it significantly cheaper to fly then to sail?  Flying just seems like an extra headache, and it robs you of two or four sea days.

(5) Can you decide to fly only one leg, such as outbound or return, or do you have to book both?

(6)  Because you are not crossing any international boundaries while on the ship, do you have to pay any cabottage penalties?

(7) I presume that if the weather is predicted to be too bad for a return flight, then you would just remain on board, right?  They are not just going to let you off at Base Frei with the hope of making it back with the next flight, right?

(8)  Is there any chance of spending some time on King George by yourself?  Say, a few hours, or a few days, or a week? Just go out and enjoy back packing around the King George Island? Can you catch an ealier flight out to King George or catch a later flight out? With the exception of ASPA125 and ASPA150, and presumably the several stations, are there any other areas of Fildes Peninsula?

Thanks!

1.  Yes, that's the airport.  We flew in from Punta Arenas, Chile, on DAP (Antarctic Airways) charters.  They had 3 planes for all the cruise passengers.  They took off and landed 30 minutes apart.  I don't know if there are flights in from Argentina or not - but I doubt it.  Our transportation was part of the Silversea "Antarctica Bridge" program - they take care of all logistics.  As far as I know, Silversea is the only cruise line that offers an air bridge to Antarctica.

2.  No.  The ship was in King George Island's harbor.  We flew to the island with our luggage, and then were bused down to the harbor shore and went out by zodiac.  The cruise line took care of getting the luggage from the planes to the ship and to our cabins.  There was a restriction of one bag, 50 pounds or less.  You were allowed one carry on, and a personal item.

3.  The ship was never at Punta Arenas.  It was already down in Antarctica.  They do several "Air Bridge" cruises, and then after the last air bridge cruise, they head across the Drake with just crew to go to Port Williams for reprovisioning and taking on new passengers there for a longer, non-air bridge cruise.

4.  It's more expensive to fly than to sail the Drake, I believe.  At least, our cruise was pretty expensive.  Yes, you lose 2 days for the trip down and 2 days for the trip back, if you went by boat.  But those 2 days could be Drake Lake or Drake Shake.  It was worth it for me not to take the risk of 2 days being seasick followed by a possible additional 2 days returning and also being seasick.  I've been badly seasick before and I'd rather die.

5.  It's one or the other.  You are either on the "Air Bridge" cruise or on a regular cruise.  You can't do a split.

6.  I don't have a clue what those penalties are.  All I can say is that we did show our passports in Punta Arenas, Chile to get on the plane.  Had to do a declaration that we weren't carrying knives, guns, sharp implements, etc.  Flew to the airport on King George Island (which is a gravel runway), got off the plane, walked onto a bus, drove down to the harbor's edge, got in the Zodiac and was taken to the ship.  Turned in our passport once we got on the ship and collected it on the last day as we left the ship to fly back to the mainland.

7.  We were on the last "Air Bridge" cruise.  The ship took us to the airport at 11:00 a.m. and was expected to depart for Port Williams in the afternoon.  If the weather had been bad and flights cancelled, I assume that they would have taken us back onboard and taken us to Port Williams with them.  Since the weather was nice, however, we didn't have to do that.  There is nowhere on King George Island where we could have stayed overnight if the planes had been canceled.

8.  There was no way to do an independent trip to King George Island.  The "Air Bridge" package starts and ends in Santiago, Chile.  The cruise line flies all passengers to Punta Arenas together, puts them all into hotels in Punta Arenas, and then flies them all to King George Island to meet the ship.  And does the reverse on the way back.  Could you plan your own trip to King George Island for a backpacking hike or whatever?  I suppose so.  DAP does do other flights to King George Island other than Silversea charters.  But I have no idea really about that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

1.  Yes, that's the airport.  We flew in from Punta Arenas, Chile, on DAP (Antarctic Airways) charters.  They had 3 planes for all the cruise passengers.  They took off and landed 30 minutes apart.  I don't know if there are flights in from Argentina or not - but I doubt it.  Our transportation was part of the Silversea "Antarctica Bridge" program - they take care of all logistics.  As far as I know, Silversea is the only cruise line that offers an air bridge to Antarctica.

2.  No.  The ship was in King George Island's harbor.  We flew to the island with our luggage, and then were bused down to the harbor shore and went out by zodiac.  The cruise line took care of getting the luggage from the planes to the ship and to our cabins.  There was a restriction of one bag, 50 pounds or less.  You were allowed one carry on, and a personal item.

3.  The ship was never at Punta Arenas.  It was already down in Antarctica.  They do several "Air Bridge" cruises, and then after the last air bridge cruise, they head across the Drake with just crew to go to Port Williams for reprovisioning and taking on new passengers there for a longer, non-air bridge cruise.

4.  It's more expensive to fly than to sail the Drake, I believe.  At least, our cruise was pretty expensive.  Yes, you lose 2 days for the trip down and 2 days for the trip back, if you went by boat.  But those 2 days could be Drake Lake or Drake Shake.  It was worth it for me not to take the risk of 2 days being seasick followed by a possible additional 2 days returning and also being seasick.  I've been badly seasick before and I'd rather die.

5.  It's one or the other.  You are either on the "Air Bridge" cruise or on a regular cruise.  You can't do a split.

6.  I don't have a clue what those penalties are.  All I can say is that we did show our passports in Punta Arenas, Chile to get on the plane.  Had to do a declaration that we weren't carrying knives, guns, sharp implements, etc.  Flew to the airport on King George Island (which is a gravel runway), got off the plane, walked onto a bus, drove down to the harbor's edge, got in the Zodiac and was taken to the ship.  Turned in our passport once we got on the ship and collected it on the last day as we left the ship to fly back to the mainland.

7.  We were on the last "Air Bridge" cruise.  The ship took us to the airport at 11:00 a.m. and was expected to depart for Port Williams in the afternoon.  If the weather had been bad and flights cancelled, I assume that they would have taken us back onboard and taken us to Port Williams with them.  Since the weather was nice, however, we didn't have to do that.  There is nowhere on King George Island where we could have stayed overnight if the planes had been canceled.

8.  There was no way to do an independent trip to King George Island.  The "Air Bridge" package starts and ends in Santiago, Chile.  The cruise line flies all passengers to Punta Arenas together, puts them all into hotels in Punta Arenas, and then flies them all to King George Island to meet the ship.  And does the reverse on the way back.  Could you plan your own trip to King George Island for a backpacking hike or whatever?  I suppose so.  DAP does do other flights to King George Island other than Silversea charters.  But I have no idea really about that.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day, and providing me (and hopefully others) with this detailed explanation.  I really appreciate it. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:40 AM, Rothko1 said:

As far as I know, Silversea is the only cruise line that offers an air bridge to Antarctica.

I'm not sure if there is something specific re the term "air bridge" but several operators offer fly-cruise or fly-cruise-fly itineraries for those who wish to skip the Drake. I can't remember if we can post links here so I've posted the names of the operators as well as the links. Or just google "fly cruise Antarctica" and they will all come up. 

Quark. 
https://www.quarkexpeditions.com/expeditions/antarctic-express-fly-the-drake

Antarctica 21

https://www.antarctica21.com/

Aurora

https://www.auroraexpeditions.com.au/expedition/antarctic-explorer-express/

Chimu

https://www.chimuadventures.com/en-au/antarctica/antarctica-fly-cruise

• Like 1