Short Review - Luminosa to Great Barrier Reef - 4/12/22

Disembarked on Sunday, 11/12 from 7 day cruise to Great Barrier Reef

Absolutely loved my cruise on Carnival's Luminosa, a medium sized ship  (I'm usually a small ship person).

This is a really beautiful ship well decorated for Christmas - big Christmas tree with tree lighting ceremony, stationery for letters to Santa, ginger bread village by catering.  I never tired of going up and down in the glass lifts over the atrium.  I didn't have to wait for a lift up or down.

Used my balcony every day

perfect sunny tropical weather

smooth seas all the way

met the nicest friendly passengers and crew at all levels

spotless ship

Food on ship was excellent, if you were selective -

freshly made thin pizzas from 4 to 4 am by the happiest staff member after a twelve hour day.  (Are you going to visit port?  No, I'm going to bed with a smile.)

freshly made omelettes to order from 6am/6.30 am by bright as a button cook

breakfast in restaurant/brunch on sea days from 8.30 am to noon.  I ate a lot of Indian meals which were always good. 

fresh fruit - bananas and grapefruit were my choice 

pancakes and french toast 

normal breakfast meals

etc.

Note buffet meals are on both sides of ship.  Only discovered Asian meals after commenting I was disappointed there was no Asian food. (Should have signs).  There was also another delicious section, next to Asian, where I had yummy orange chips, etc.

Discovered their delicious croissants on second last day, And I was reading "One More Croissant for the Road" by Felicity Cloake.

Suggest passengers walk all around ship and check out food on first day. I didn't get around to $$ food - no need!

Loved the three ports of call in the North

Airlie Beach (morning walked to markets and lagoon.  Picked up at 11am from wharf for drive to Cape Gloucester Resort, Whitsundays,  for fresh seafood lunch from 11.45 am on beautiful white sand beach)

Cairns (splurged $4.80 on day bus pass cash only.  Spent day at Palm Cove.  All beaches closed due to stingers.  Had lunch at Surf Life Savers overlooking ocean.)

Port Douglas (walked to town then along main street to Four Mile Beach.  Paddled in crystal clear surf after I saw  man check for stingers.  Don't swim near edge of enclosure.  Signs for stingers and crocodiles.  

Bottles of Vinegar on beaches.

Had a refreshing gelato tropical juice drink on way back. 

Bought birthday presents at book shop for my daughter (beautifully gift wrapped) and chimes for me.

Three port visits - Cape Gloucester was highlight, with cold drink at Dingo Beach Hotel, on way back to wharf.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank You, for a fantastic Review. Being a loyal Carnival Cruiser was a bit upset about getting Luminosa down here. Plus all the Whining about water parks not being onboard. 

It looks like there winning them with great food options & that Carnival Fun Friendly Staff. Picked up a 7 night real in March, looking forward too it.👍❤️🚢

On 12/12/2022 at 4:12 PM, MMDown Under said:

Absolutely loved my cruise on Carnival's Luminosa, a medium sized ship  (I'm usually a small ship person).

This is a really beautiful ship well decorated for Christmas - big Christmas tree with tree lighting ceremony, stationery for letters to Santa, ginger bread village by catering.  I never tired of going up and down in the glass lifts over the atrium.  I didn't have to wait for a lift up or down.

smooth seas all the way

spotless ship

freshly made thin pizzas from 4 to 4 am by the happiest staff member after a twelve hour day.  (Are you going to visit port?  No, I'm going to bed with a smile.)

breakfast in restaurant/brunch on sea days from 8.30 am to noon.  I ate a lot of Indian meals which were always good. 

normal breakfast meals

etc.

Note buffet meals are on both sides of ship.  Only discovered Asian meals after commenting I was disappointed there was no Asian food. (Should have signs).  There was also another delicious section, next to Asian, where I had yummy orange chips, etc.

Discovered their delicious croissants on second last day, And I was reading "One More Croissant for the Road" by Felicity Cloake.

Suggest passengers walk all around ship and check out food on first day. I didn't get around to $$ food - no need!

Airlie Beach (morning walked to markets and lagoon.  Picked up at 11am from wharf for drive to Cape Gloucester Resort, Whitsundays,  for fresh seafood lunch from 11.45 am on beautiful white sand beach)

Cairns (splurged $4.80 on day bus pass cash only.  Spent day at Palm Cove.  All beaches closed due to stingers.  Had lunch at Surf Life Savers overlooking ocean.)

Port Douglas (walked to town then along main street to Four Mile Beach.  Paddled in crystal clear surf after I saw  man check for stingers.  Don't swim near edge of enclosure.  Signs for stingers and crocodiles.  

Bought birthday presents at book shop for my daughter (beautifully gift wrapped) and chimes for me.

Three port visits - Cape Gloucester was highlight, with cold drink at Dingo Beach Hotel, on way back to wharf.

Awesome. So many of the things I love about cruising. Thanks!!

On 12/12/2022 at 3:12 PM, MMDown Under said:

smooth seas all the way

spotless ship

normal breakfast meals

etc.

Tips which improved my cruise.

Balcony - Took large square cushion with handle from discount shop and small soft rectangle cushion.  This transformed the small uncomfortable chair in to a comfortable chair on which I spent time every day. 

Balcony - Few large strong pegs to hold togs and larger washed clothes so they don't fly off balcony,  

Take extra underwear, as you shower more often in the tropical heat.  (Cruise to GBR)

Take large cake of soap for shower and a small cake of soap for sink.  Shampoo and conditioner, Sunscreen and body milk and insect repellant. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 4:50 PM, MMDown Under said:

Tips which improved my cruise.

Balcony - Took large square cushion with handle from discount shop and small soft rectangle cushion.  This transformed the small uncomfortable chair in to a comfortable chair on which I spent time every day. 

Balcony - Few large strong pegs to hold togs and larger washed clothes so they don't fly off balcony,  

Take extra underwear, as you shower more often in the tropical heat.  (Cruise to GBR)

Take large cake of soap for shower and a small cake of soap for sink.  Shampoo and conditioner, Sunscreen and body milk and insect repellant. 

Barb didn't like the shampoo/conditioner on Majestic Princess - declared as horrible. At Coles in Port Douglas she bought shampoo and conditioner bars, and thought they were awesome. I also like the idea, as they are easy to pack and travel with.

shampoo.jpg.1391134881ff3aa49ecbd42402b515ee.jpg

26 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Barb didn't like the shampoo/conditioner on Majestic Princess - declared as horrible. At Coles in Port Douglas she bought shampoo and conditioner bars, and thought they were awesome. I also like the idea, as they are easy to pack and travel with.

shampoo.jpg.1391134881ff3aa49ecbd42402b515ee.jpg

I brought little leftover shampoo and conditioner bottles with me.  However, I love those shampoo and conditioner bars which are so convenient for travel.  We bought ours in Northern NSW on our last land trip.  This one must have smelt beautiful.  

• Like 1