Be Careful How You Use HIA - ALWAYS Use Both Cards

Guardsy

My wife and I went on N. Statendam in November.  14-days.  Over the first week or so, we had numerous bartenders and MDR waiters only take one card for our drinks, usually mine.  As a result, when we checked our stateroom bill halfway through the cruise, I had numerous charges for drinks over my daily 15 (we get lots of water and coffees that get charged against it, not just alcohol) due to this process.  They only put the drinks to my account.

$130+ in charges due to this.  I went to the front desk and asked what could be done.  They looked at my wife's account and found she had only had 4-5 drinks over the same time period.  They could not reverse the charges, but said they would contact the bar management.

After 2-3 days we heard nothing.  I wrote a note to the bar manager asking that the charges be reversed.  Nothing in response.  I put it in our HAL review survey and still heard nothing.  

Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it will most certainly stick in my craw even looking at HAL cruises.  Back to Princess.

• Like 2

Thanks for the warning. Not sure what happens but the bar is probably the most difficult department to get corrections. We were charged for drinks that should have been within the package ($11). It wasn't until daily pestering of guest services (whose hands are tied until beverage manager acts) and a message in the Let Us Know feedback in Navigator app that we noticed the reversal. We check our statement every night but you will find charges added on the last day as department's finalize things. Before disembarkment is when it is important to make sure things are resolved. Once you are off ship....crickets. 

26 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It was always one drink at a time per card.  Some ships are more lenient.  If you are buying 2 at a time it is best to ask your server 

Thanks, Mary.  We know that.  After 12+ sailing on Princess using their package system, which is similar, we never had an issue.  This one, after 30 years not sailing HAL, we did.  We know what the rules are.  So do the waiters/servers.  They should take both cards, or ask if you have 2 cards, especially when they see the little HIA printed on the card.  Worst case, when they can clearly see the disparity on the accounts, make the adjustments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guardsy said:

Thanks, Mary.  We know that.  After 12+ sailing on Princess using their package system, which is similar, we never had an issue.  This one, after 30 years not sailing HAL, we did.  We know what the rules are.  So do the waiters/servers.  They should take both cards, or ask if you have 2 cards, especially when they see the little HIA printed on the card.  Worst case, when they can clearly see the disparity on the accounts, make the adjustments.

Keep in mind that the drink package limitations on Princess only apply to alcohol drinks.  Unlike on HAL, they do not count the non-alcohol drinks towards the 15 drink daily limit.  

As to expecting HAL to simply make adjustments means that HAL would need to use some common sense.  HAL has long shown that it can be blind when it comes to using common sense with accounting issues.

Hank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guardsy said:

All this really takes is a #drinks communicated via staff or receipt.   Not sure that HAL can do this which seems brain damaged.

Just saw on another HIA post that the staff are encouraged to take only one card for 2 drinks as it speeds up their processing time when they are busy.  Making more sense now, but cost us an extra $130+.  We won't make that mistake again.

1 minute ago, Charlene1985 said:

Follow up question:  If I am using the fitness center and want two bottles of water, can I get two at the same time without my husband’s card?  Or can I down to the cafe for a coffee and get one for each of us?  We have HIA.  Thx. 

I don't believe there is any limitation on how many non-alcoholic drinks you can have at one time. Just know that if you only have your card, YOUR daily limit will be charged for two of whatever you get.