How much in Pesos for taxi?

cidymom

I usually take one of the shuttle vans from the terminal to the Malecon, at $5US per person.  On my last cruise, we hired a driver for a several hour tour.  I have not taken a cab from the port to the Malecon in a few years, so I am guessing.

If you walk out to the street, the local taxis are less expensive than the federal taxis right at the port.

Wild guess, about $250Mx ($12US) if you are skilled at the art of negotiation.  For me, more like $300 - 400Mx because I feel sympathetic towards the drivers.  Each way.  Per cab, not per person.

Hi Mike - thanks for your input.  I didn't realize they have shuttle vans at the terminal that goes to the Malecon.  In that case, I won't even bother getting Pesos and just pay in USD.  I don't feel comfortable negotiating so paying a set price works for me and the price difference doesn't appear that big.  Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, cidymom said:

Hi Mike - thanks for your input.  I didn't realize they have shuttle vans at the terminal that goes to the Malecon.  In that case, I won't even bother getting Pesos and just pay in USD.  I don't feel comfortable negotiating so paying a set price works for me and the price difference doesn't appear that big.  Thanks so much!

Be aware the vans/cabs at the terminal can only bring you to town, they are not allowed to bring you back from town. On the return you need a local cab or bus Most of the drivers will accept US$ but check that as well as the price before entering.  Also many restaurants will accept US$ but at a low exchange rate. 

Edited by Ine

2 hours ago, cidymom said:

To return to the ship go one block behind the Malecon (one way traffic) and flag down a taxi. It was $10 for the two of us recently and agree price it before you enter. They can drop you off at the port or across the street at the Walmart if needed.

We pay $10 per taxi ride to and from downtown in PV. $12 to Zona Romantica. And then we add a few bucks for a tip.  As others have said, make sure you negotiate the price before you get in the cab.  

It will be basically the same price to use the vans inside the port as a cab to get to downtown, if there are two of you. If there are more than 2 in your party, the private cab will be a better deal because the cost is per cab, not per person.  With the van, you will have to wait there until they fill the van.  Depending on how quickly they gather up passengers, it can take a bit.  If you don't want to wait, it's very simple to get a cab.  Just walk out the port gates to the main street.  Stand at the curb and hail a cab.  Cab drivers will often be standing around right there to offer you a ride as well. We prefer this over the vans because we can be dropped exactly where we want to be dropped, and we don't have to wait on others.  Our preference is to be dropped in Zona Romantica at Playa de Los Muertos.  We choose a restaurant there to spend some time.  Then we slowly make our way back across the bridge and into downtown and walk the Malecon.  When we are ready to go back to the ship, we hail a cab from there.  Works better for us than walking the other way as we aren't interested in shopping, but more just want time on the beach and some good food.  

18 hours ago, cidymom said:

I plan to bring some Mexican Pesos with me for taxi rides and souvenirs and wondered how much it would be in Pesos for a return taxi ride from the PV port to the Malecon in town.  Thanks all.

Kwik re-cap . . .  

Fed taxis (inside the port) charge per person in USD's and will take you away from the port to downtown. They cannot bring you back.  City taxis (yellow 'n white), located just outside the port, charge per taxi ride with a max of 4 passengers.  City taxi rate are fixed, by zone, but will try to get more if they can.  Fixed rates are in pesos but they will take USD's at whatever exchange rate they want to charge.

I just returned from a four-week stay.  The rate between el Centro (downtown) and the cruise ship port is 105 pesos but most drivers ask for 120 pesos.  Add 20 pesos if traveling to/from Zona Romantica.

$10 US (worth roughly 190 pesos) should get you a taxi ride anywhere between the tourist areas and the port. 

Pesos are not "required" when in port. However, expect to pay more overall when using dollars compared to those that pay in pesos.  Those of us that stay for extended periods save significantly by using pesos.   

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MSN-Travelers said:

Kwik re-cap . . .  

Fed taxis (inside the port) charge per person in USD's and will take you away from the port to downtown. They cannot bring you back.  City taxis (yellow 'n white), located just outside the port, charge per taxi ride with a max of 4 passengers.  City taxi rate are fixed, by zone, but will try to get more if they can.  Fixed rates are in pesos but they will take USD's at whatever exchange rate they want to charge.

I just returned from a four-week stay.  The rate between el Centro (downtown) and the cruise ship port is 105 pesos but most drivers ask for 120 pesos.  Add 20 pesos if traveling to/from Zona Romantica.

$10 US (worth roughly 190 pesos) should get you a taxi ride anywhere between the tourist areas and the port. 

Pesos are not "required" when in port. However, expect to pay more overall when using dollars compared to those that pay in pesos.  Those of us that stay for extended periods save significantly by using pesos.   

If we find all the shelves empty of Tequilia, we will know who to blame :).

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

If we find all the shelves empty of Tequilia, we will know who to blame :).

Hank

My liver told me I had to leave and go home.  I am now back in the land of sunsets before 5PM, daily highs on the 30's (F) and I haven't seen the sun since last Saturday when I left Vallarta.  The Christmas shelves at La Playa have been restocked with tequila for the holidays so you won't have to endure a dry stay.    

• Thanks 1