11 Day Iberian Adventure - 9/5/2023 - Nieuw Statendam

julieannerelph

Welcome to Cruise Critic; I see this is your first post. There is a wealth of information here, and I encourage you to read through the various threads, especially those that pertain to the ship and cruise you are interested in. 

The Nieuw Statendam is a beautiful ship, although huge. The service on the ship when I was aboard last August was excellent. I can't remember ever having better service, with the exception of the former Prinsendam. But she was a small ship, and there is no fair comparison between large and small ships. 

The various dining rooms were all excellent. Rudi's Sel de Mer had the best service of any restaurant on any ship I have ever sailed (a lot of ships). The food was delicious there, as it was in Pinnacle, Tamarind, and Canaletto. 

Entertainment was not up to the standards I have enjoyed over the years on HAL, making evenings rather boring, but the cruise itself was lovely. 

As to your ports, since you didn't say where the cruise is going, it's impossible to answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your response.

Sorry,  the cruise leaves from Copenhagen, goes to Brest France, Porto Portugal, Lisbon, Seville Spain,Barcelona ending in Rome.

Actually, my old handle on cruise critic got messed up somehow.  I have been on cruise critic

since 2006, my old handle alas could not be fixed.

But, you are so right, a wealth of information on cruise critic.  

We have never sailed on Holland America.   Looking forward to it.

We have sailed Carnival, Norwegian, Regents, Seabourn and Seadream.   We just love

to cruise...  

2 hours ago, julieannerelph said:

We are looking at this cruise for next year....

Looking for thoughts on the ship and the ports.

Thank you in advance!

Hi JulieAnne!

There is already a RollCall for this cruise, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2810169-ns-september-6-2023-11-days/#comment-62061652

Only 5 CC members so far but you might see what they are thinking and planning.

We have visited both Copenhagen and Barcelona for several days on the ground, at one end or other of TransAtlantics. Loved both cities!

ETA: If you can spend two nights in Copenhagen before your cruise, I recommend Tivoli Gardens for a lovely outing. You could easily spend the whole "free day" there. Also, taxis are safe and plentiful.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

Copenhagen, Barcelona and Rome are great cities to visit. If you haven't been to Copenhagen or Rome I would strongly encourage you stay a few nights before/after the cruise - its a long way to go for just an 11 day cruise. I would want at least 2 full days in Copenhagen and more in Rome (which is about about 75kms from the cruise port). There is so much to do and see in Rome you could easily fill in a week. Check out the ports board to determine a list of must dos for each port.

• Thanks 1

We're booked on this cruise for 2023 as well! Holland America gave away a number of cruises on our 2022 Alaska cruise, and we snagged this itinerary as one of our bucket list trips. We're hoping to fly Iceland Air to spend a few days in Iceland, then a few in Copenhagen (and a few more in Rome after the cruise). Waiting on our TA to get us details there, but already excited to be back on the NS in September!

• Like 2

I cannot speak on your itinerary, would love to do that one day.  But we just got off the N Statendam, loved the ship & crew.  It is a beautiful ship.  Entertainment was a bit lacking, but we found plenty to keep us busy.  Grand Dutch Cafe on deck 3 mid ship was our favorite space on the ship.  The "world theatre" deck 2,3 forward is a beautiful showroom, but not used nearly enough.  There wasn't anywhere to place our drinks while watching a show, so this was a bit inconvenient, otherwise a beautiful theatre.  Not sure you will have the same crew, but we had great service most everywhere on the ship.

• Thanks 1