Which ports in Europe?

NCteacherlovescruising

Hope the airfare works out to allow you to spend more time in Italy and no more time in Athens than necessary.  We spent a day in Athens and wouldn't have wanted to spend more time there.  On the other hand, we have visited both Florence and Rome several times and would go back again because there is so much to see in both places.  We especially like Florence because the historic district is all together and walkable (mostly no cars allowed), the people are friendly and the food is great.  

On 12/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

As others have said, there are so many places to see, you'll want to make more than one trip.  Just pick one area and concentrate on that.  If Italy has always been on your bucket list, then start there.  You can do pre- and post-cruise excursions.

On 12/15/2022 at 12:07 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

We are planning to fly in at least 2-3 days early and stay at least 2-3 after so we can see some other places, especially in Italy!  The cruise we currently have booked starts in Athens and ends in Venice.  Not sure if we're keeping that one or switching to Celebrity.

Greece and Barcelona both sound fabulous!  We are thinking about doing a land vacation in Iceland next year. 

I'll keep this in mind, thanks!

Hopefully my husband will want to return to see other places.  So far all our cruises have been in the Caribbean.  While we'd rather start seeing some other places, it's quite a bit more expensive when these long flights are involved.  

Our current itinerary does not include Rome.  The only stop in Italy in Venice, which is where it ends.  We have the NCL air promo, which only allows us to come 2 days early and fly out 2 days after.  That's one of the reasons I'm not sold on them.  I'd rather see more of Italy and fly in earlier than 2 days so we can see as much as possible.  Overall, I think it's a pretty good itinerary.

• Athens (Piraeus)Greece
  • SantoriniGreece
  • MykonosGreece
  • ZakynthosGreece
  • CorfuGreece
  • KotorMontenegro
  • DubrovnikCroatia
  • SplitCroatia
  • VeniceItaly
  • Venice (Trieste)Italy

The cruise we currently have booked is only going to Venice.  It's primarily focused on Greece.

We are talking about doing a land vacation in Iceland next year.

It looks like if we keep our current cruise (would have to switch dates though), we'd be better off buying our own tickets so we could fly in early to explore Italy pre-cruise (or post cruise, whichever way it works out).

On 12/15/2022 at 12:10 PM, Emmandjay said:

Another area not yet mentioned is Scandinavia and the Baltics.  It's a shame cruises can't go to St Petersburg any more, but Helsinki, Stockholm, Tallin, Copenhagen and Norway's fjords are all interesting to visit and all are places where the ship docks close by.

Everything, everyone has said is so valid.

We have been doing cruises and land tours in Europe for over 25 years. We still have lots to see in Europe and don't expect to stop going anytime soon. One thing what we use cruising for is to visit places for a day and then decide that we want to go back to again on a non-cruise trip. This is also so much of Europe that you can not adequately see via cruise, as it only gets to the coasts. For example in 2019 we did a Med trip that ended up in England, touch on Spain and Portugal. Next spring we are doing a short Med Cruise and then doing another 10 days on land via car through central Spain and back to Lisbon. While we stopped in Lisbon on that cruise, we really did not see the city, as we took off out of town on a tour to other places, but what little we saw made us want to go back, so we will.

Start off with one area and just keep on going. Its fun and can be a way of life!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

If you've never been to Europe, I would not choose a cruise as the first experience.  Cruises only providing a sampling of the places they visit and it's a very narrow view better suited to those who have already been there on land trips.  I think you're getting too hung up on the "deal" for the airfare.  If you have to spend a little more to get there but ultimately have a better trip, isn't that the best outcome?  Italy is easy to DIY with a mix of trains and day trips from Venice, Florence, and Rome.  Get a guidebook and log in to some other travel forums for all the tips you would need.

If you insist on a cruise, I'd also factor time in port when making the decision of which one and where.

I'd have to disagree. I think for a first time international traveler a cruise is a good experience to get your feet wet. I myself would prefer to tour Europe not on a cruise because you are so restrcited to tourist heavy drive-bys and you don't get the chance to really immerse yourself in the culture. However - after the first trip you quickly realize that it's not nearly as daunting as it may have seemed. Communicating isn't that hard, the trains are quick and efficient to get from city to city and you can tour on your own rather inexpensively. You first trip on a cruise gets you a taste of the experience, but with the security and familiarity of the ship even though you actual 'on the ground' time is restricted. 

• Like 2

I would point out, to those that talk about Venice, that this port is no longer open to cruise ships.  If you want to go to Venice on a cruise, it may mean docking more than an hour distant in several different ports such as Trieste or Ravenna.  

DW and I do enjoy Venice (been there on cruises and multiple driving trips) and suggest that folks who want to visit that city plan to do it pre or post cruise and plan on 3 or 4 nights in a local hotel.

Hank

Since you have many, many years of travel ahead of you, I like the ports on the cruise you have chosen, but I would prioritize those places that are high on your list due to your research, which I know that you have done.  Honestly, your first cruise is going to be one of those experiences that you will never forget, leaving you wanting more and more.  Being young and full of energy, returning again and again will happen.  I do agree about your airfare not leaving you with enough extra time to explore on your own.  For me, that is extremely important and well worth the time.  Whatever you choose will be amazing!