Has anyone gotten an upgrade AFTER getting the upgrade letter a few days ahead of sailing?

resetjet

We got a letter stating that our upgrade bid is still standing.  We leave tomorrow.  It says you can get upgraded up to zero hours before.  I suppose that means if somebody's plane breaks down!!!   I assume if they had space, by this time they would have accepted our bid.

Yes, lately ... it's been reported to be possible, depending on the specific category(s) that you are bidding for, and whether you are almost/on the edge of being the next one on the queue to be "processed"   With the widely popular Haven bids, they are known to go to "live bidding" but for club and regular balconies ... odds are 50:50, either you do or don't.  

This can happen as you check in at the pier and/or either even after you've boarded your ship.  Just remember to pack all the essentials, personal meds & at least 1 change of clothes in a smaller carry-on or backpack, kept with you at all times ... since your checked bags might be tagged with the "original" cabin #'s if this surprise upgrade happen inside the cruise terminal or onboard with a knock at the door or call from Guest Services.  Good luck & happy cruising. 

My guess is this email represents the point at which plusgrade has no free room to move you up to.  Everything has been juggled pre cruise and there is nothing available.  At this point they send it to the ship and let them figure it out if anything opens up due to a no show etc.  I guess at the bottom end of the spectrum there is a chance, but someone not showing for an owners suite who paid $20k is highly unlikely.  

42 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Our last trip we heard of people unpacking into their assigned cabins, just to be moved out and upgraded after already being on board. I'm not a fan of that system.

I wasn't unpacked on Joy in Sept. but had indeed checked into the inside cabin only to get a knock on the door at nearly 2 pm telling me my upgrade bid to balcony had been accepted.  The Guest Svcs Coordinator who came to the cabin had quite a stack of such letters with her.  NCL had emailed me about my winning bid at 1:37 pm.

So yes, it can happen right up to the end!  Good luck!

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

My guess is this email represents the point at which plusgrade has no free room to move you up to.  Everything has been juggled pre cruise and there is nothing available.  At this point they send it to the ship and let them figure it out if anything opens up due to a no show etc.  I guess at the bottom end of the spectrum there is a chance, but someone not showing for an owners suite who paid $20k is highly unlikely.  

9 hours ago, resetjet said:

We got a letter stating that our upgrade bid is still standing.  We leave tomorrow.  It says you can get upgraded up to zero hours before.  I suppose that means if somebody's plane breaks down!!!   I assume if they had space, by this time they would have accepted our bid.

This is "normal" right now. With a lot of COVID cancellations, they continue to process upgrades with all of the late cancellations and no-shows. We got our final "unable to upgrade" email about 90 minutes after sailing.