Cruising out of Miami--September 2023

On 12/17/2022 at 10:14 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Because you can skip the expense of airfare and night-before hotel, it sounds like Oasis will be considerably less expensive.  How much does this matter to you? 

I have no great love of Miami.  It's crowded, and the traffic is crazy.  When we sail out of MIami, we stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale (much cheaper hotel rooms), and it's less than an hour's drive to the port.  

Both cruises hit CocoCay, which is a big positive in my mind.  

Looking at the other island stops, Harmony seems to have the edge.  Aruba is nice, and Curacao is certainly head and shoulders better than Nassau.  Is the Port Canaveral stop short?  It seems to be on some cruises, and that really affects what you can do.

Pros and cons each way.  

No Port Canaveral is 1-9pm but we didn't even get off the ship last time so basically a wasted port.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:46 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

If the airfare and hotel made it so I had to pick the Oasis out of New Jersey, I'd just wait an extra year and take the cruise when I could afford the better vacation. 

It is our 30th anniversary and we try and go every 5 year by ourselves so really don't want to wait an extra year 🙂

• Like 1

It appears it is just two of you, not the whole family. If you can afford it I would definitely take the Miami route. We're doing two cruises next year - one just DW and I and one the whole family. The couple only cruise we're doing out of Miami (got lucky with enough Marriott points to stay right by the port for free), but the Airbnb idea is not bad - just make sure you're getting the whole "unit" not just a room to share the common areas and bathroom with others. The second cruise with all the kids is out of NJ - air fare would choke us and what 20 something kid is going to complain about a free cruise with their SO?

Aruba & Curacao over Port Canaveral and Nassau any day you can afford it.

17 hours ago, mikefromny said:

It appears it is just two of you, not the whole family. If you can afford it I would definitely take the Miami route. We're doing two cruises next year - one just DW and I and one the whole family. The couple only cruise we're doing out of Miami (got lucky with enough Marriott points to stay right by the port for free), but the Airbnb idea is not bad - just make sure you're getting the whole "unit" not just a room to share the common areas and bathroom with others. The second cruise with all the kids is out of NJ - air fare would choke us and what 20 something kid is going to complain about a free cruise with their SO?

Aruba & Curacao over Port Canaveral and Nassau any day you can afford it.

Thank you. I think we are leaning towards the Miami port to do something different and try and look for the most economic way to go or maybe we will find money and splurge lol

• Like 1