Cruising out of Miami--September 2023

Deciding on 2 different cruises. 

1-Oasis of the Seas from NJ--Port Canaveral, Cococay and Nassau

Pros-can drive to Port so no airfare and hotel

Cons--been on ship twice and Nassau multiple times

2-Harmony of the Seas from Miami--Cococay, Aruba and Curacao

Pros--never been on Harmony (even though I know it is an Oasis class), Miami, Aruba and Curacao

Cons--will have the extra expense of airfare and hotel

Question--never been to Miami so are there hotels that shuttle to the port and are they inexpensive for just 1 night to come in the day before?

Many (if not most) of the hotels have a shuttle to the port. Even if they don't, there are plenty of other options available. Easy.

Hotels aren't inexpensive there. Seems they aren't inexpensive anywhere now.

Harmony has the better itinerary, hands down. I don't even get off the boat in Nassau anymore.

What time of year are you sailing? It can get cold on the first and last days of NJ sailings.

2 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Pros--never been on Harmony (even though I know it is an Oasis class), Miami, Aruba and Curacao

Question--never been to Miami so are there hotels that shuttle to the port and are they inexpensive for just 1 night to come in the day before?

I cruise MOSTLY out of MIA, always fly in the night before, always book near downtown (midway between airport and cruise port) and always take Uber and it's not expensive.

If you're cruising out of Miami in Sept of 2023, it'll be nice weather except for the occasional hurricane that comes through.  There are no 'inexpensive' hotels in Miami, even for one night.  If I had to choose, I'd pick something in the Brickell Area.  Close by the port and near the Metromover.  I also like the Intercontinental but it by no means is inexpensive but it's right on the bay and you can see the cruise ships if you're on the bay side high enough up.  But, there's always the Holiday Inn on Biscayne Blvd right near the entrance to the cruise port and just across from Bayfront Marketplace.  And YVE although many have said the rooms are super tiny.  Haven't stayed there myself but have walked past it many times before it was YVE.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

Many (if not most) of the hotels have a shuttle to the port. Even if they don't, there are plenty of other options available. Easy.

Hotels aren't inexpensive there. Seems they aren't inexpensive anywhere now.

Harmony has the better itinerary, hands down. I don't even get off the boat in Nassau anymore.

What time of year are you sailing? It can get cold on the first and last days of NJ sailings.

Thank you. Oasis is the beginning of September, Harmony end of September.

6 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

If you're cruising out of Miami in Sept of 2023, it'll be nice weather except for the occasional hurricane that comes through.  There are no 'inexpensive' hotels in Miami, even for one night.  If I had to choose, I'd pick something in the Brickell Area.  Close by the port and near the Metromover.  I also like the Intercontinental but it by no means is inexpensive but it's right on the bay and you can see the cruise ships if you're on the bay side high enough up.  But, there's always the Holiday Inn on Biscayne Blvd right near the entrance to the cruise port and just across from Bayfront Marketplace.  And YVE although many have said the rooms are super tiny.  Haven't stayed there myself but have walked past it many times before it was YVE.

Thank you very much 🙂

I always have to fly to the port so that never factors into my decision. I always just pick the ship and itinerary that looks best to me, and then I can price shop the hotels and flights to that one place (vs picking the ship based on which port is cheapest to get to).

So if it were me with the 2 options you gave, I would hands down choose Harmony out of Miami. I wouldn't even consider the one out of New Jersey. First off - who wants to start a warm Caribbean vacation from a cold location (if given a choice)? Second, the Oasis itinerary is garbage! Cococay is ok, but it's the best option out of the whole itinerary, which isn't saying much. 

I just cruised out of a Miami 3 weeks ago. Stayed at the Hampton Inn Miami/brickell-downtown. It's an average hotel, with average prices for that area of Miami ($250-$300/night if you book several months early, but closer to $450/night if you book last minute).

They have free breakfast. It's very close to the free metro-mover. It's about 2 blocks from a CVS, and there's tons of restaurants on the same street as the hotel. Anything closer to south beach is gonna cost you around $1,000/night or more, so to me, $300-ish per night was cheap for the area.

I usually have to pay closer to $600/night when I cruise out of Puerto Rico, which is my favorite way to sail the southern Caribbean, and next summer my hotel is $800/night (but that's because I'm going to Singapore and choosing to stay in the Marina Bay Sands).

So it's all relative. I guess if you're used to driving and having that part of the trip be free, $300 might seem like a lot, but I thought it was a bargain, and would much rather pay the $300 and take a better cruise, than pay $0 and take a cold-weather start to Nassau and Cococay. (Of course flights are another cost, but I'm just using the hotel portion for simplicity).

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

Unfortunately no such thing as an inexpensive hotel in Miami as I’m just finding as cruising out of there in January.

Especially if you’re a solo cruiser. I have booked Best Western at Coral Gables near the airport. $300 for an upgraded room ( I.e with aircon!) includes transfer from airport and there is a $10 fee for port shuttle.

Booked with free cancellation so happy to hear if there are better options!

But re your question I would still choose Harmony. 

23 minutes ago, Deeliteful said:

Unfortunately no such thing as an inexpensive hotel in Miami as I’m just finding as cruising out of there in January.

Especially if you’re a solo cruiser. I have booked Best Western at Coral Gables near the airport. $300 for an upgraded room ( I.e with aircon!) includes transfer from airport and there is a $10 fee for port shuttle.

Booked with free cancellation so happy to hear if there are better options!

But re your question I would still choose Harmony. 

The hotel I referenced above (Hampton Inn Miami/Brickell-Downtown) was a better price than what you're getting, and it had a free shuttle to the port, plus free breakfast.

The caveat is that you have to book the hotel further in advance. I stayed there for 2 nights for a Thanksgiving cruise and with taxes and fees, paid under $600 total.

I didn't take the free shuttle because there was too long of a wait for it, with so many people wanting to get on it. I paid for an Uber and it was under $20, got me to the port in about 10-15 min. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

On 12/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, hazeleyes46 said:

Uber is faster and inexpensive. $10. Go 1/2 earlier than your assigned time and you will be good.

Depending on flight patterns and costs in your area, you may want to consider flying into Fort Lauderdale.  When we flew for Miami cruises, we often got good flights to FLL, stayed in a hotel near the Fort Lauderdale airport, and took a shuttle to the Port of Miami the next morning.  Shuttle back to FLL at end of cruise.  The shuttles were fairly inexpensive.   We now drive to port, so if FLL flights seem to work, check the Florida departure board for up to date info on the best shuttles.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Depending on flight patterns and costs in your area, you may want to consider flying into Fort Lauderdale.  When we flew for Miami cruises, we often got good flights to FLL, stayed in a hotel near the Fort Lauderdale airport, and took a shuttle to the Port of Miami the next morning.  Shuttle back to FLL at end of cruise.  The shuttles were fairly inexpensive.   We now drive to port, so if FLL flights seem to work, check the Florida departure board for up to date info on the best shuttles.

SAS Transportation 

• Like 1

Last year we also stayed at  Hampton Inn Miami/Brickell-Downtown.  We stayed there the night before the cruise and a couple nights after the cruise when our flight was canceled.   It was $244 per night.  Nice place to stay and easy access to the Metromover.  We used the Metromover to visit Bayside Market which was fun.  We used Lyft from the Airport to the Hotel and the Hotel to the Port. Service was good.

I looked up September Hotel cost and it is $240 - $270 from the Hilton website.   

• Like 1

Because you can skip the expense of airfare and night-before hotel, it sounds like Oasis will be considerably less expensive.  How much does this matter to you? 

I have no great love of Miami.  It's crowded, and the traffic is crazy.  When we sail out of MIami, we stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale (much cheaper hotel rooms), and it's less than an hour's drive to the port.  

Both cruises hit CocoCay, which is a big positive in my mind.  

Looking at the other island stops, Harmony seems to have the edge.  Aruba is nice, and Curacao is certainly head and shoulders better than Nassau.  Is the Port Canaveral stop short?  It seems to be on some cruises, and that really affects what you can do.

Pros and cons each way.  

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on the itinerary Harmony wins by a mile in my opinion. However, the financial difference is pretty significant. You are in the best position to determine if the financial impact is worth it to you. 

If the airfare and hotel made it so I had to pick the Oasis out of New Jersey, I'd just wait an extra year and take the cruise when I could afford the better vacation. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, poocher said:

We sailed out of Miami over Halloween and flew into and stayed near Ft Lauderdale airport.  Hotels are much cheaper and found SAS Transportation at $15pp each way reasonable and efficient.

Yep, I've always recommended staying near FLL airport (Griffin Road and I-95, several hotels) or in Dania Beach or even in Davie on Davie Road Extension just off of I-595.  Cheaper, safer, cleaner and friendlier.  That's my experience.  I'm with ya on this, @poocher.  However, I always drive in the day before and drive to the Port, Port Everglades or Port of Miami, in the morning.  Easy Peesy.  Getting a shuttle to the Ports, FLL, MIA, Everglades or Port of Miami, shouldn't be tough either.  As you said, SAS Transportation.

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, I've always recommended staying near FLL airport (Griffin Road and I-95, several hotels) or in Dania Beach or even in Davie on Davie Road Extension just off of I-595.  Cheaper, safer, cleaner and friendlier.  That's my experience.  I'm with ya on this, @poocher.  However, I always drive in the day before and drive to the Port, Port Everglades or Port of Miami, in the morning.  Easy Peesy.  Getting a shuttle to the Ports, FLL, MIA, Everglades or Port of Miami, shouldn't be tough either.  As you said, SAS Transportation.

We like Dania Beach. Lots of restaurants in walking distance of Hyatt, Marriott, etc. Uber was $35 and we got there right at our check-in time. Shuttles stop other places and you do not have the control like with Uber.

• Like 1

Just now, fredmdcruisers said:

We like Dania Beach. Lots of restaurants in walking distance of Hyatt, Marriott, etc. Uber was $35 and we got there right at our check-in time. Shuttles stop other places and you do not have the control like with Uber.

True

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:05 PM, poocher said:

SAS Transportation 

That's what we are doing for our cruise from Miami in April. 

Flying into FLL and staying at the Hyatt House in Dania Beach. The morning of the cruise SAS will be picking us up from the hotel and taking us to the port in Miami for $15pp

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

I always have to fly to the port so that never factors into my decision. I always just pick the ship and itinerary that looks best to me, and then I can price shop the hotels and flights to that one place (vs picking the ship based on which port is cheapest to get to).

So if it were me with the 2 options you gave, I would hands down choose Harmony out of Miami. I wouldn't even consider the one out of New Jersey. First off - who wants to start a warm Caribbean vacation from a cold location (if given a choice)? Second, the Oasis itinerary is garbage! Cococay is ok, but it's the best option out of the whole itinerary, which isn't saying much. 

I just cruised out of a Miami 3 weeks ago. Stayed at the Hampton Inn Miami/brickell-downtown. It's an average hotel, with average prices for that area of Miami ($250-$300/night if you book several months early, but closer to $450/night if you book last minute).

They have free breakfast. It's very close to the free metro-mover. It's about 2 blocks from a CVS, and there's tons of restaurants on the same street as the hotel. Anything closer to south beach is gonna cost you around $1,000/night or more, so to me, $300-ish per night was cheap for the area.

I usually have to pay closer to $600/night when I cruise out of Puerto Rico, which is my favorite way to sail the southern Caribbean, and next summer my hotel is $800/night (but that's because I'm going to Singapore and choosing to stay in the Marina Bay Sands).

So it's all relative. I guess if you're used to driving and having that part of the trip be free, $300 might seem like a lot, but I thought it was a bargain, and would much rather pay the $300 and take a better cruise, than pay $0 and take a cold-weather start to Nassau and Cococay. (Of course flights are another cost, but I'm just using the hotel portion for simplicity).

Thank you. End of September so it would still be warm in NJ but MUCH warmer in Miami 🙂