Beach recommendation for Seniors

ranchette

1 hour ago, mfabz said:

Port Royal -- please share more about Catherine's Cafe -- distance from port, taxi cost, what is the beach like?  Any additional info would be appreciated.  Thanks

Taxi was US$ 30.00 including tip -

About 50 minutes there, but allow an extra 10 for return because of port traffic.

The beach https://visitantiguabarbuda.com/destinations/pigeons-point-beach/

Catherine’s Cafe is owned by Sheer Rocks - The food quality service is top notch, but genteel and discreet.  They have an extensive “known” guest list.

Prices are in EC Dollars - To convert roughly into US$ - Divide by 2 - Then deduct 25%

On site is a really nice small boutique selling Cafe and Rocks merchandise that is actually useful for travel, holidays and momentous at good prices.

Nice people… but they don’t suffer visiting AHs… finding ways of annoying them so they leave in disgust - If you get one’s drift?

Do book in advance and give them a call to discuss one’s requirements for food, beds, off Menu etc.. They appreciate a call as it shows one is genuinely interested and cares.  Ask about any Day Specials that may be available.

Think an American Country Club, set in a shabby chic ambiance on a beach.

Don’t get put off by the exterior on arrival.

Enjoy…

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Specials

8 hours ago, ranchette said:

Too far want something closer to the ship.

Then, as a recommendation it has to be Sheer Rocks, it’s 15 minutes closer but doesn’t have a beach. But SR more than makes up for no beach in many other ways.

Book one’s day (Rock Pool) in advance.

https://sheer-rocks.com

On 12/20/2022 at 8:22 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Then, as a recommendation it has to be Sheer Rocks, it’s 15 minutes closer but doesn’t have a beach. But SR more than makes up for no beach in many other ways.

Book one’s day (Rock Pool) in advance.

https://sheer-rocks.com

The OP has asked for beach recommendations, not restaurants. 

31 minutes ago, Wacktle said:

The OP has asked for beach recommendations, not restaurants. 

Sorry, one took the OP’s ask being for a personal recommendation, being for a nice place with a beach, having chairs and offers lunch.  One offered Catherine’s, having all the requested criteria, giving a critique and posted the link to the beach web.

Although the OP thought of interest, Catherine’s was too far from the port for the OP.

The only destination one could recommend, closer to the port, was SR.  One did make it clear that SR did not have a beach, but offers Rock Pools, some private, together with a small swimming pool, also lunch and drinks.

Agree one’s recommendations did have restaurants, but most beaches in Antigua do have a restaurant.
One pays the money and makes to choice as to the level of experience wanted for the day.  It’s will be down to the personal preference, not the price.

Thanks to Port Royal's recommendation we went to Catherines on our tour this week and were absolutely delighted with having the combination having the beautiful beach setting and the comfort of lovely chairs on their lawn and the most delicious food and service.  The only down side, be careful, the taxi dispatcher was adamant it was US$50 each way.  We paid it but feel now we were ripped off between him and the driver we were allocated.

17 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks to Port Royal's recommendation we went to Catherines on our tour this week and were absolutely delighted with having the combination having the beautiful beach setting and the comfort of lovely chairs on their lawn and the most delicious food and service.  The only down side, be careful, the taxi dispatcher was adamant it was US$50 each way.  We paid it but feel now we were ripped off between him and the driver we were allocated.

Sorry to hear one’s day at Catherine’s was marred by unscrupulous and greedy people.

As an assist to future travellers, one posts the official taxi rates for 2021 onwards.  
Please retain and present.  Catherine’s is within the Pigeon Point charge band.
https://www.antiguanice.com/v2/page.php?page=25Antigua

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, SueMo said:

It's not listed in your post, but we always to to Valley Church Beach.  It fulfills all of your requirements as to beach chairs, umbrellas, and beach bar.

One offered recommendations based on one’s personal preferences and requirements.  
It appears there are genteel and discerning cruisers on CC, having no wish to visit VC and it’s like, being popular destinations for S.H.T.

Think the OP may have booked Sheer Rocks, meeting their requirements and closer to the port.

@SueMo May one suggest one does spend the day, taking lunch/drinks etc., at Catherine’s, Cecelia’s or Sheer Rocks next time on Antigua.  They will not disappoint.

Guess I'm neither genteel nor discerning.  I like VC because it's just incredibly beautiful.  I am more about the water and the beach than lunch and drinks.  I'm fine with a good rum punch and burger.  I don't know what S.H.T. stands for, but I do know that I've never been bothered by anybody trying to braid my hair or give me a massage, if that's your meaning.  

• Like 4

On 12/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, ranchette said:

Looking at Fort James Beach,Dickinson Bay or Turners Beach. Would lkie a chair,umbrella, and lunch. Which beach and why?Hope you can help.

We went to Dickinson Bay purely because of its proximity to the cruise terminal. It was a 15 minute taxi ride at a cost of $5 pp each way. The driver scheduled a prearranged time to pick us back up. An umbrella and 2 chair rental cost $30 USD. They dropped us of right by the Sandals resort. While you can’t eat in there, there is a beachside restaurant called Ana’s in the beach.  The beach was pretty with white sand and blue waters but it was quite busy. I’d still return in a heartbeat as it was so easy to get to. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

One offered recommendations based on one’s personal preferences and requirements.  
It appears there are genteel and discerning cruisers on CC, having no wish to visit VC and it’s like, being popular destinations for S.H.T.

Think the OP may have booked Sheer Rocks, meeting their requirements and closer to the port.

@SueMo May one suggest one does spend the day, taking lunch/drinks etc., at Catherine’s, Cecelia’s or Sheer Rocks next time on Antigua.  They will not disappoint.

Curious what your take on Turner's Beach is. Do you recommend?

57 minutes ago, Fivelinks said:

Curious what your take on Turner's Beach is. Do you recommend?

Turners is now a destination for independent holiday makers and tour operators.   It was a good place to visit by genteel cruisers, but now just okay.  Was a fan, not now.
Shared minivans go there at (I think at $8 pp e/w), but the whole on the van have to agree on a return time.  Usually too early for some visitors.
There is a bar and restaurant, toilets, beds for hire with static and umbrellas for shade.  
Restaurant and drink prices are a tad high for what’s delivered.  If going, buy a bottle of rum from Duty Free before leaving, say $10, because a very small shot at Turners was $7 seven years ago.

If any rum remaining in the bottle donate to the oldest local person seen.  It stays on the island.

The beach sand sea can drop sometimes steeply along the whole front, with easier of access to the far left of beach, facing the sea.

If going, as one enters towards the sea, on the right side were stalls, selling shells, clothing etc., ask for beds and umbrella to set up beyond, right of, the stalls, away from the noisy masses.

Hawkers can be persistent.

Yes we do go, but only when travelling with companions who express a wish to do so.

Hope this assists

On 12/30/2022 at 1:41 PM, strobellayjam said:

We went to Dickinson Bay purely because of its proximity to the cruise terminal. It was a 15 minute taxi ride at a cost of $5 pp each way. The driver scheduled a prearranged time to pick us back up. An umbrella and 2 chair rental cost $30 USD. They dropped us of right by the Sandals resort. While you can’t eat in there, there is a beachside restaurant called Ana’s in the beach.  The beach was pretty with white sand and blue waters but it was quite busy. I’d still return in a heartbeat as it was so easy to get to. 

Hi were there bathrooms too?  We are stopping there next month and I believe this is the beach we went to in 2010.  (Remember the Sandals resort being close by).  

On 1/17/2023 at 9:20 AM, Annefran said:

Hi were there bathrooms too?  We are stopping there next month and I believe this is the beach we went to in 2010.  (Remember the Sandals resort being close by).  

We were told there were restroom facilities but we didn’t use them. Ana’s would also have them for their patrons I presume. Hope you have a great time there!

• Like 1