Al Pastor tacos in walking distance.

tallyho8

I was looking for a place to try real Al Pastor tacos on my next cruises to Cozumel that are in walking distance from the main roads where the docks are. My 2 future cruises are at the Carnival dock and the downtown dock. I found many restaurants that serve them but most don't open until 6 PM with a few opening a couple hours earlier but still too late for us to make it. A few are open during the day but require taxis to get to and fro.

If the blue taco truck directly up the road (Avenida Cuadillo?) from  International Pier is still around, that's your best bet.

Downtown the old Los Otates (new name?) would be a to go to. Avenida 15 and Calle Sur

Cuarto Tacos on the main road and Calle Sur opens at 1PM each day.

Sunset Beach, on the road between International Pier and downtown, has good tacos.

You can ask at Pancho's Backyard in Puerta Maya.  I know they have fish tacos but not sure about other types.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

I was looking for a place to try real Al Pastor tacos on my next cruises to Cozumel that are in walking distance from the main roads where the docks are. My 2 future cruises are at the Carnival dock and the downtown dock. I found many restaurants that serve them but most don't open until 6 PM with a few opening a couple hours earlier but still too late for us to make it. A few are open during the day but require taxis to get to and fro.

Seems you have done your homework and are correct on all counts! A few comments.

@crewsweeper is correct Los Otates (Los Tacotales) opens usually late lunch ( maybe 12-1pm?) and serves al pastor, although I am informed it is reheated from previous night. It is near our usual rental, and regularly recommended although it is very much hole-in-the-wall - whilst it is good, it never really excites me! They have a menu online.

cuatro tacos is no more.

Food truck sounds good option near Puerta Maya although not sure if they actually do Al Pastor? For local Mayan food at Royal Village we are still looking to try 1xKool,  but again not sure about Al Pastor.

In town, there are a couple of food- truck type courtyards set up since covid with various local food vendors:

Callejón de la diez (not tried yet, but gets good reviews and one mentioned Al Pastor but usually not all vendors are present all day).
Also, Gastropark 140 again all vendors not present at all times.

I see one of our favorites,  Aqui y Ahora has Al Pastor on the menu but i haven’t actually tried it there. We go for the view from the roof on Melgar but you have to be prepared to climb a quirky metal staircase at the back of the shop! They do have  streetside seating.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

We docked downtown this cruise so I did not try to get a taxi to the Blue Taco Truck but I was reluctant to try a truck because it doesn't seem like they would have enough room to make the real Al Pastor tacos. Next time we dock at the Carnival dock so I will try them out then.

My wife can't negotiate many steps so that leaves out some places we can't go to. We just went to Novena Ola restaurant in the Museum and were happy they had the handicap elevator working. No tacos but good food and 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

We docked downtown this cruise so I did not try to get a taxi to the Blue Taco Truck but I was reluctant to try a truck because it doesn't seem like they would have enough room to make the real Al Pastor tacos. Next time we dock at the Carnival dock so I will try them out then.

My wife can't negotiate many steps so that leaves out some places we can't go to. We just went to Novena Ola restaurant in the Museum and were happy they had the handicap elevator working. No tacos but good food and 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour.

Sounds good! You would get same view but Aqui y Ahora would be a definite no for you.

i believe the museum is quite good since renovations but we haven’t been back yet. Saving for a rainy day!

The food truck will be quite a walk from Puerta Maya.

Edited by c-leg5

23 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Sounds good! You would get same view but Aqui y Ahora would be a definite no for you.

i believe the museum is quite good since renovations but we haven’t been back yet. Saving for a rainy day!

The food truck will be quite a walk from Puerta Maya.

Agree the truck would be a bit of a hike for you and your wife from Puerta Maya.

Also disappointed Cuarto Tacos is no longer around.  

A taxi ride could get you to Tacqueria El Pique or Mister Taco.  But  don't think Three Amigos has al bly Pastor on its menu.  And that and Pancho's are probably the only 2 places in Puerta Maya.