Texting with iPhone

upgrayders

I am using an Apple iPhone 13.  Will going on Airplane mode also disable the ability to use WiFi.  I know airplane mode disables cellular.  

Am I better off just turning off cellular data on my iphone in order to maintain WiFi connection and messages to other iPhone users.  .  Thank you

You can enable airplane mode and then subsequently re-enable wifi (without disabling airplane mode), or turn off cellular data only but leave airplane mode off. These will have a similar result, with minor differences. For example, doing the latter still allows your clock to be updated automatically if you change time zones and phone calls will still cause your phone to ring (no charges if you simply don’t answer) and incoming text messages (the green, non-iMessage sort) will also come through (also free so long as you don’t reply). Airplane mode is safest as far as avoiding extra charges go and if you can live with the few additional limitations, it’s probably better (or at least easier) for most people.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, upgrayders said:

I am using an Apple iPhone 13.  Will going on Airplane mode also disable the ability to use WiFi.  I know airplane mode disables cellular.  

Am I better off just turning off cellular data on my iphone in order to maintain WiFi connection and messages to other iPhone users.  .  Thank you

If you turn off only data, you would still be subject to the ship's exorbitant cellular charges for texts and voice.  So, as the others have said, turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi.  If your phone and plan supports WiFi calling (you may need to turn it on or activate it), you'll be good to go for voice and texts as if you were at home.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

If you turn off only data, you would still be subject to the ship's exorbitant cellular charges for texts and voice.  So, as the others have said, turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi.  If your phone and plan supports WiFi calling (you may need to turn it on or activate it), you'll be good to go for voice and texts as if you were at home.

You also have the option of selecting which apps use cellular data. I turn them all off just in case I accidentally turn on cell service.

6FD0C101-A16C-469D-8418-DAA07A19D57A.thumb.jpeg.1d0bf5aa9fafdf3200d14a58747c67d7.jpeg

OK.  Turn Airplane mode on.

then i would have to go to settings and turn on wifi by connecting to the available network

Also in settings i can also individualy turn of cellular data on my apps (solitaire, wordle etc.)

i may also turn on wifi calling which i can find in settings >phone >then enable wifi calling on this phone

i am so sorry for being so "anal" about this subject and I appreciate all of your help.

• Like 1

This works for me, multiple cruises and European trips. 
1. Turn on Airplane mode, don’t touch it again until on home soil! 
2. I also turn off cellular service and data as a precaution. 

3. Turn ON WiFi when onboard or in a location with free WiFi, like a cafe or hotel. I usually keep WiFi Off to conserve battery. 
4. I communicate with family at home by texting or calling via WhatsApp or FB Messager. Both are free . Family needs these apps too for it to work. Traveling companions also have WhatsApp for shipboard texts.

I had a friend who got charged by ATT and she thought she had WiFi calling, I’m not willing to risk big charges so I use the free Apps only. My sister teaches in Italy, and she uses WhatsApp. 

Edited by CDR2001
Added
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

then i would have to go to settings and turn on wifi by connecting to the available network

Also in settings i can also individualy turn of cellular data on my apps (solitaire, wordle etc.)

i may also turn on wifi calling which i can find in settings >phone >then enable wifi calling on this phone

Yes.  I don’t turn off cellular data for individual apps, as airplane mode is sufficient unless you forget to turn it on.  Turning it off is a habit for me, and if I do forget, my cell service warns me. Be sure to check your cellular plan and your phone to make sure that they support WiFi calling

15 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

OK do not enable WiFi calling.  just text iphone to iPhone (blue bubbles) or email

That may be an option, if WiFi is turned on and connected (and you enabled airplane mode), but I prefer to use WiFi calling so I can do voice calls and texts in a normal way, since my plan and phone support it.

Edited by 1985rz1

53 minutes ago, upgrayders said:

It isn’t necessary to connect to a WiFi network - just turn it on even if no network is available. I do this each time I get my seat on the plane. If I’m flying on United, as a Mileage Plus member, I can often get free iMessage during the flight (iMessage only - no text, calls, email, web, etc. unless I pay extra). Other frequent flyer groups might offer other WiFi services. 

I understand the above suggestions and have done the same on previous cruises with other lines.  However, this time we will have to arrange our own transportation to the port because we are flying into the UK the day before departure.  We plan to use a car service and I assume they will want to keep in contact with us by phone upon arrival.  We have ATT and I know I can activate international usage for the day for $10 but can I then turn it off for the rest of the trip?  

Edited by SoBaycruiser

1 minute ago, SoBaycruiser said:

I understand the above suggestions and have don’t the same on previous cruises with other lines.  However, this time we will have to arrange our own transportation to the port because we are flying into the UK the day before departure.  We plan to use a car service and I assume they will want to keep in contact with us by phone upon arrival.  We have ATT and I know I can activate international usage for the day for $10 but can I then turn it off for the rest of the trip?  

The ATT $10 deal lasts 24 hours from when you invoke it - then cell service shuts off. Use or lose the full 24 hours.

1 minute ago, Squawkman said:

The ATT $10 deal lasts 24 hours from when you invoke it - then cell service shuts off. Use or lose the full 24 hours.

Thanks!  I think that would work.  We could keep contact with the car service the day we arrive and arrange a taxi from our hotel to the ship the next morning… all within 24 hrs.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

It isn’t necessary to connect to a WiFi network - just turn it on even if no network is available. I do this each time I get my seat on the plane. If I’m flying on United, as a Mileage Plus member, I can often get free iMessage during the flight (iMessage only - no text, calls, email, web, etc. unless I pay extra). Other frequent flyer groups might offer other WiFi services. 

Interesting.  We have Androids, and that function is only available if we're connected to a cell service.  Does the iPhone use the ship's cell service, and,  if it does, wouldn't that incur the ship's cell fee for texting? (Curious minds want to know 🤔)

57 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Interesting.  We have Androids, and that function is only available if we're connected to a cell service.  Does the iPhone use the ship's cell service, and,  if it does, wouldn't that incur the ship's cell fee for texting? (Curious minds want to know 🤔)

While on a Viking ship, only the ship’s WiFi is used. I’m always in Airplane mode so no cell service can be accessed. When we’re out on a excursion and have “free time”, I usually look for a Macdonalds or Burger King and use their free WiFi. 

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

24 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

While on a Viking ship, only the ship’s WiFi is used. I’m always in Airplane mode so no cell service can be accessed. When we’re out on a excursion and have “free time”, I usually look for a Macdonalds or Burger King and use their free WiFi. 

I thought you had said that's it's not necessary to connect to a WiFi. Maybe you were referring to your MP member experience on United. That's why I asked.  I didn't want to original poster to think it was not necessary to connect to the ship's WiFi, which is what he was asking about.

Edited by 1985rz1

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

I thought you had said that's it's not necessary to connect to a WiFi. Maybe you were referring to your MP member experience on United. That's why I asked.  I didn't want to original poster to think it was not necessary to connect to the ship's WiFi, which is what he was asking about.

I meant it wasn’t necessary to connect to a specific WiFi network to activate WiFi when airplane mode is turned on. Sorry for any confusion.