Excursions Question

nikoo.s

Hey!

Just wondering if there is any way to know the timing of excursions before booking them (specifically before the cruise rather than while onboard as I assume on board you can check)? Reason I ask is on our recent Virtuosa cruise one of our excursions didn't start until 3pm and wasn't due to return until around 9pm - we were only told this quite late the night before and when it came to it we knew the weather was about to turn and it would soon be dark so ended up not going on that particular one, and lost out on that cost. We have another 2 cruises booked and one more we are considering and while we like the sound of some of the excursions we want to avoid wasting money if we can help it!

Not a massive issue, but just thought it would be easier to plan your day if they gave a rough time of planned excursions beforehand! Thanks 🙂

Edited by nikoo.s

On 12/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, nikoo.s said:

Hey!

Just wondering if there is any way to know the timing of excursions before booking them (specifically before the cruise rather than while onboard as I assume on board you can check)? Reason I ask is on our recent Virtuosa cruise one of our excursions didn't start until 3pm and wasn't due to return until around 9pm - we were only told this quite late the night before and when it came to it we knew the weather was about to turn and it would soon be dark so ended up not going on that particular one, and lost out on that cost. We have another 2 cruises booked and one more we are considering and while we like the sound of some of the excursions we want to avoid wasting money if we can help it!

Not a massive issue, but just thought it would be easier to plan your day if they gave a rough time of planned excursions beforehand! Thanks 🙂

Hey nikoo, 

I totally get what you mean in terms of organising, I think we'd do more excursions if this info was more readily available. Once onboard, the ship specific booklets (thick with photocopied pages stapled inside ones) often have AM or PM or a time on them. As to finding out pre-embarkation, I don't think its possible 😞 

• Thanks 1

The night before an excursion there is a list on the desk at customer services and/or the excursions desk. We've only ever seen the running of our excursions from this. We've never been able to check with anyone the timing prior to the previous evening. It would certainly be useful to know the timings as soon as you embark. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the replies 🙂

I guess this isn't just an issue with MSC but rather all cruises generally, so I certainly don't want to sound like I'm being negative towards MSC! I'll probably wait until I'm onboard next time to book any excursions in that case even if it does cost more than doing it before the cruise (Unless there's an excursion I know I will do regardless of what time it is!)

The most reliable way is to ask someone who is on board the same ship, doing the same itinerary a few weeks before you. Join an internet group for that ship and someone will probably help you, and you'll learn a lot of other things about the ship at the same time.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 12:13 AM, nikoo.s said:

Thank you both for the replies 🙂

I guess this isn't just an issue with MSC but rather all cruises generally, so I certainly don't want to sound like I'm being negative towards MSC! I'll probably wait until I'm onboard next time to book any excursions in that case even if it does cost more than doing it before the cruise (Unless there's an excursion I know I will do regardless of what time it is!)

Despite being a loyal MSC passenger, their excursion setup does annoy me. At least once on every cruise, we have an excursion cancelled, normally given notice at 9/10pm the night before, leaving you empty handed if there isn't another you fancy. If we want to change plans however, a full 24hrs notice or the cancellation fee is 100% 😮 

By and large; all the itineraries do have an indicative time sheet on itself where you can see docking and departure times. Shore excursions will to work round those times minus an hour for the longer ones. That said on the day before they'll to have the shore ex shown on the shore ex desk, on the daily planner for next day and at guest services.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, voyagerL said:

Despite being a loyal MSC passenger, their excursion setup does annoy me. At least once on every cruise, we have an excursion cancelled, normally given notice at 9/10pm the night before, leaving you empty handed if there isn't another you fancy. If we want to change plans however, a full 24hrs notice or the cancellation fee is 100% 😮 

That is annoying! You'd think they would at least offer a refund for a cancellation given the short notice?! 

1 hour ago, KarimaJ said:

I haven’t booked my cruise yet, but you are saying when searching for excursions they don’t list the time? I know on NCL and Celebrity they always have exact time listed so you can plan. 

Not that I could see for my last cruise, just the time the ship arrives and leaves port. I did book excursions before the cruise though through the website. It seems like when you're actually on the ship it's a little bit easier (but does cost more).