Strange Location of Queen Suites on Queen Anne?

BrisbaneR

I have been looking to book a Queen suite on the Queen Anne, but notice from the Deck plans that they are all located at extreme ends of the ship. All the Q5s are literally aft and all the Q6s are fully forward.  This seems to fly in the face of much previous Cunard advertising that used to boast about the Grill suites having an "enviable midship position"'.  I wonder what has changed in their design planning as it seems that many other grades of cabin are better placed on the new ship?

Also, I have never had a cabin at an extreme end of a ship, so am wondering which to prefer? As the Q5s are more expensive, I imagine that is implicitly saying that aft is better?  Is this necessarily the case?

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts or experiences.

29 minutes ago, BrisbaneR said:

I have been looking to book a Queen suite on the Queen Anne, but notice from the Deck plans that they are all located at extreme ends of the ship. All the Q5s are literally aft and all the Q6s are fully forward.  This seems to fly in the face of much previous Cunard advertising that used to boast about the Grill suites having an "enviable midship position"'.  I wonder what has changed in their design planning as it seems that many other grades of cabin are better placed on the new ship?

Also, I have never had a cabin at an extreme end of a ship, so am wondering which to prefer? As the Q5s are more expensive, I imagine that is implicitly saying that aft is better?  Is this necessarily the case?

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts or experiences.

The Q6's are right at the front - looks like they'll have a front facing window - was tempted by them - especially the ones on Deck 7 (but booked a PG to save a bit of money)

My feeling is that the front of the ship will generally have a bit more motion than the back - this was the case on a recent QM2 crossing as the bow hit heavyish seas - so maybe that's why the Q6s are there and Q5s and Q4s at the stern - also the balconies at the rear will be the least windy anywhere on the ship..

Not sure I'd go high Q6 at the front

They've called higher QGs "penthouses" - and all but the huge ones are more equivalent to the bulk of QGs on QM2; they are better positioned for movement and (dynamic pricing aside) aren't too much more expensive than the aft QGs.  The central column is all PGs...so even then QG penthouses aren't exactly midships

Edited by buchanan101

We have had Q's on the stern many times, but not on the corners. The mid-stern rooms have balconies that are very sheltered and usable most days regardless of the weather.

However, last year and next year on QV, we've gone mid-ships in Q3's as we couldn't get our favourites.

2024 on QA will be a Q3 (Penthouse for some reason) on the stern, deck 7.

6 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

We have had Q's on the stern many times, but not on the corners. The mid-stern rooms have balconies that are very sheltered and usable most days regardless of the weather.

However, last year and next year on QV, we've gone mid-ships in Q3's as we couldn't get our favourites.

2024 on QA will be a Q3 (Penthouse for some reason) on the stern, deck 7.

Yes, weird that they have Q3 fore and aft and Q4 "midships" for the "normal" sized QG Penthouses. Presumably they cost a bit more than the "midships" ones on Deck 7

Having experienced a rough Bay of Biscay crossing to the Canaries in November 2019 on the Queen Victoria, I would certainly not have a cabin at the front. We were midships and it was bad enough but folks in forward cabins had a horrendous time.

14 hours ago, siforest65 said:

Having experienced a rough Bay of Biscay crossing to the Canaries in November 2019 on the Queen Victoria, I would certainly not have a cabin at the front. We were midships and it was bad enough but folks in forward cabins had a horrendous time.

Was watching a YouTube video yesterday with Stephen Payne (QM2 designer). He says Britannia restaurant is 2/3rds of the way back as that’s the point of least movement. Which is what I had thought- that the bow moves more than the stern. (On the one rough day on recent crossing Queens Room was a lot more comfortable than Illuminations) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Austcruiser84 said:

Interesting, too, that there are seemingly far fewer QG suites than PG on QA. The deck plans mailed out show the QG restaurant is quite small vs the PG restaurant. 

Bizzare decision making given how popular the grills are and how quickly they seem to sell. 

Yes noticed that too - on QM2 the restaurants are about the same size.

Maybe they can get more passengers on board with a higher proportion of PG out of all grills, maximising revenue - which is also why they now have 200% more BC cabins than on other ships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uReHGiPyULo

One of our roughest voyages ever was with the family for Christmas/New Year 2013/14. The outbound BoB was truly awesome, and just as bad homeward. Some time later I found this video of QE leaving A Corunna, and remember this was before being in the open waters of the ocean. Take a look , you might want to skip to middle of video to start, as that truly gives you the idea of movement. 
It was a game for the grandchildren to get along the corridor without being bumped into the sides😆. A voyage  where we saw flooded areas, and empty public spaces and restaurants.

So going back to the original gist of the thread, about QGs being forward, perhaps Cunard are seeking wealthy thrill seekers to book these suites. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 3:57 AM, BrisbaneR said:

This seems to fly in the face of much previous Cunard advertising that used to boast about the Grill suites having an "enviable midship position"'.

What they said and what they did may not have ever really matched then. If you look at the truly top suites on QM2 they are either forward below the bridge or the duplexes aft. Only the "standard" QG rooms are rally midships above the lifeboats. 

Even on the old QE2 the wonderful Q3s were midships and a lower Deck One (no balconies but huge oval portholes) but the top suites were high on the ship behind the bridge and subject to movement and rolling was very noticeable in them in heavy seas. 

On 12/21/2022 at 3:57 AM, BrisbaneR said:

The forward suites will potentially have more up and down motion if you hit bad weather. The aft suites will have less of that but potentially there will be some vibration from the pods below you. Doesn't bother everyone but you will notice it. Personally I'd prefer the aft as the lesser of the two evils. 

Many thanks to princeton1213211 and others for pointing out that there seems to be no clear design principle for allocating QG cabins on the various ships. I think I'll stick with my plans to book a Queen suite on QA and hopefully both forward and aft locations will be worthy of QG status (and money spent).  My final choice will probably come down to what is available when, and what does it cost.

On 12/26/2022 at 8:22 AM, BrisbaneR said:

Many thanks to princeton1213211 and others for pointing out that there seems to be no clear design principle for allocating QG cabins on the various ships. I think I'll stick with my plans to book a Queen suite on QA and hopefully both forward and aft locations will be worthy of QG status (and money spent).  My final choice will probably come down to what is available when, and what does it cost.

There are only 6 (I think) forward. All should have forward facing windows (balconies obviously to the side) - which could be rather cool. Many more at the stern, generally more expensive. 

Fore or aft either way they seem interesting rooms; only saving a couple of £k made me go PG for a booking. I may regret it. 

20 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

There are only 6 (I think) forward. All should have forward facing windows (balconies obviously to the side) - which could be rather cool. Many more at the stern, generally more expensive. 

Fore or aft either way they seem interesting rooms; only saving a couple of £k made me go PG for a booking. I may regret it. 

Alternatively, if not many people like the idea of them, you may get upgraded. 😀

16 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Alternatively, if not many people like the idea of them, you may get upgraded. 😀

There is that, but with only one Cunard voyage to my name that’s very unlikely especially given the relative sizes of QG to PG accommodation on QA (judged by relative sizes of restaurants) 

56 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

There is that, but with only one Cunard voyage to my name that’s very unlikely especially given the relative sizes of QG to PG accommodation on QA (judged by relative sizes of restaurants) 

I think newness is an advantage, because they hope to get you hooked.