Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

58 minutes ago, vslparis said:

This is defiantly on our list for next year !

Don't you love autocorrect?

We hired a private guide in Bali, Ketut Wirtana, for the 4 days after our Auckland to Bali cruise on our own extension. He took us to the Kecak dance as well and positioned us to watch the sunset. The white monkey sat on my husband's lap. A private guide is certainly the way to go.  It was a great 4 days!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbviking2023 said:

We also hired a great guide for our days in Bali.  I'll email you his contact as well.

I would love his contact information please. TIA. avahondj@gmail.com

Diana

Edited by DJVKN

On 3/8/2023 at 10:15 AM, mbviking2023 said:
...guided trips...

It seems likes lots of folks would be interested in these guides names. Would it be inappropriate to post them here instead of emailing?

Also, how did you go about finding such great guides in the first place?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobCatter said:

It seems likes lots of folks would be interested in these guides names. Would it be inappropriate to post them here instead of emailing?

It's acceptable to post the names of guides and tour companies that you have used.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BobCatter said:

We found Sherif through Tours By Locals. That's a fine company, but they also take a hefty percentage off the top. The guides are not allowed to tell you how much. So to help him, I share his personal contacts and our great experiences.

I Komang Sherif Wirayuda sherifwirayuda@gmail.com

He's also on Facebook as Komang Sherif Wirayuda.

@DJVKN

Five stars!

Edited by mbviking2023
  • Like 3

Our guide was Ketut Wirtana. 

Ketutbestdriverinbali@gmail.com

His fee was ridiculously low and we paid him double. Great guy. We found him on these boards through a gal from Australia. We went to some great local places for lunch. Of course we bought his lunch. We just trusted him to plan our days and it worked out great. If you contact him tell him Dobie and Roger sent you!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Our guide was Ketut Wirtana. 

Ketutbestdriverinbali@gmail.com

His fee was ridiculously low and we paid him double. Great guy. We found him on these boards through a gal from Australia. We went to some great local places for lunch. Of course we bought his lunch. We just trusted him to plan our days and it worked out great. If you contact him tell him Dobie and Roger sent you!

Thanks for the info, we have booked with him for our call on next year’s Neptune WC

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, mbviking2023 said:

We found Sherif through Tours By Locals. That's a fine company, but they also take a hefty percentage off the top. The guides are not allowed to tell you how much. So to help him, I share his personal contacts and our great experiences.

I Komang Sherif Wirayuda sherifwirayuda@gmail.com

He's also on Facebook as Komang Sherif Wirayuda.

@DJVKN

Five stars!

@mbviking2023  Yes - thank you to Mike and Becky for all such great info.  We have started planning with Sherif Wirayuda for our Sky WC next year!  So excited!  Seems like the World Cruise just gets better and better the further you all travel!

4 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

Was this through a private guide?  Or one of the Viking shore excursions?

I was suggesting that if Mcobean  were going BACK to Viet Nam they should considera  RIVER Cruise.  The Mekong River Cruise was outstanding a separate cruise.  sorry for the confusion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Heidi13 and @Jim Avery - totally off topic of the Neptune WC, but since you were both professional mariners for your careers, I am curious whether either of you have read Endurance by Alfred Lansing, the amazing story of Ernest Shackleton's expedition to Antarctica on the Endurance.  Sadly, though the book was copywritten in 1959, Lansing didn't receive the critical acclaim his thorough research and excellent writing deserved during his lifetime.  He died at age 54, in 1975.  However, interest was revived in the book in 1986, and was in 49th printing by 2013, as interest steadily increased over time.  I am riveted to the story (not quite finished!), though it has quite convinced me I'm probably NOT game for one of the Antarctic expedition cruises!  The details which Lansing documented, through scouring documents and in-person interviews with crew members who were still alive at the time of his writing, are incredible.  The photos included in the book, taken by the expedition's photographer, are clear despite their age, and present an amazing visual record of the expedition.  And imagining what these men went through is almost beyond belief - except it really happened.  Just curious to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Great book!  Read it in High School.  And yes, the Arctic (and Antarctic) are dangerous.  I worked a bit over two years running a freighter carrying everything to St. Paul in the Pribiloff Islands in the Bering Sea. Year round.  The Pribiloffs are basically at the Southern limit of the winter pack ice so you can get there year round.....  More or less.....  Then there is the weather...   That's why we go on World Cruises that "follow the sun" and mostly avoid cold places.  Can't see me paying someone to take me to all that ice.  Just an old Sea Dog's opinion.  🍹

• Thanks 1