Newly Platinum

reeinaz

18 minutes ago, Middleager said:

There wasn't "group one".  There were no groups, no groups called. 

I never heard of this before.  Has anybody else boarded an NCL ship where there are no assigned boarding groups?  I can understand that by an hour or two after they start boarding, they may drop the assignment of groups, but I can't believe they would do this from the beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I never heard of this before.  Has anybody else boarded an NCL ship where there are no assigned boarding groups?  I can understand that by an hour or two after they start boarding, they may drop the assignment of groups, but I can't believe they would do this from the beginning.

I never talked about going to embarkation at the "beginning" of the day, when they just started embarkation.  Post covid, things have been much different. 

On the Jewel this past March, it was the first time Jewel re-started sailing.  At Colon (most people went from Panama city that morning).   The process (one line, one person taking cash for Panama exit fee, then stamp your passport),  then wheel your own luggages to inside the terminal to be checked for vaccination record.  Then continue to wheel your own luggages to be checked for passport/cruise-doc and hand over luggages to porters behind that counter, then go line up for check-in counters, etc.   They didn't have priority lines for plats.

On Epic this past Nov, it was the first time they did a turn-around (i.e. disembarkation, then embarkation) in Haifa port.  When we got there at 5:30pm, there was one line outside (between train station and cruise terminal) to check your passport, then to hand over luggages to porters, then long walk in the dark to cruise terminal to line up for check-in counters, then long walks in the dark to another building, with shopping area, then long walk outside in the dark to to the ship.  Several of us walked together, otherwise it can look scary for an old lady who might have had to walk by herself in the dark.  Shorter faster priority line for the check-in might be nice, but the whole thing looked unorganized with few staff directing people or to give feeling we are walking to the right places.

17 minutes ago, Middleager said:

I never talked about going to embarkation at the "beginning" of the day, when they just started embarkation. 

We appear to be talking about two different things.  When I hear "priority embarkation" I think of being in the waiting area when they begin boarding and being able to get on immediately (with the other platinum and above and special assistance).  I've done this three times post Covid and it has been the same every time.  Also the same is the presence of a Platinum and above express line to get to the check-in counters.  I don't know anything about embarking from ports in Panama or other foreign countries, so maybe that's why you experienced something that didn't meet your expectations.

53 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We appear to be talking about two different things.  When I hear "priority embarkation" I think of being in the waiting area when they begin boarding and being able to get on immediately (with the other platinum and above and special assistance).  I've done this three times post Covid and it has been the same every time.  Also the same is the presence of a Platinum and above express line to get to the check-in counters.  I don't know anything about embarking from ports in Panama or other foreign countries, so maybe that's why you experienced something that didn't meet your expectations.

I never talked about going to embarkation at the "beginning" of the day, when they just started embarkation. 

On 12/22/2022 at 11:34 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

If booking in advance, book fixed price (e.g. Teppanyaki) first to avoid having to prepay.

Thank you for that Platinum voucher pre-booking tip!! We just made Platinum as well and that’s a great strategy to use! Prebook an a la carte restaurant 125 days out at the desired time. Then when you show up tell the restaurant host we’ll be using one of our Platinum vouchers to pay for it. This way we can avoid standing in the long Dining Reservations line to make those reservations once we board. Are we interpreting this strategy correctly?

2 hours ago, Middleager said:

Then why the heck are you asking about "priority" embarkation.  You don't want to show up when they start boarding but you want priority?  You don't want to be among the first on the ship?  Then what would you expect priority to mean?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Then why the heck are you asking about "priority" embarkation.  You don't want to show up when they start boarding but you want priority?  You don't want to be among the first on the ship?  Then what would you expect priority to mean?

I was sharing my experience with the OP about the various plat benefits, and mentioned we never got "priority" embarkation, even though there was supposed to be shorter lines for "priority embarkation" vs general lines.  I even mentioned it was no big deal because the general line was not long anyway.

Priority to me means being able to go to the line that has sign showing priority, not Haven, but for those with Plat status, or other higher category cabins.  Priority to me doesn't mean to be first on the ship when they begin the entire embarkation of the day.  Priority to me means when we get there and there is supposed to be a line for Plats, we can go to that (shorter, or empty) line rather than the general line.

Next time you do embarkation, read what the lines say then you'll understand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Middleager said:

I was sharing my experience with the OP about the various plat benefits, and mentioned we never got "priority" embarkation, even though there was supposed to be shorter lines for "priority embarkation" vs general lines.  I even mentioned it was no big deal because the general line was not long anyway.

Priority to me means being able to go to the line that has sign showing priority, not Haven, but for those with Plat status, or other higher category cabins.  Priority to me doesn't mean to be first on the ship when they begin the entire embarkation of the day.  Priority to me means when we get there and there is supposed to be a line for Plats, we can go to that (shorter, or empty) line rather than the general line.

You seem to be confusing priority check in (where you stand in the lines) with priority embarkation (where you actually walk from the terminal to the ship).

Priority embarkation refers to the fact that:

Haven boards first

Second is those needing assistance (wheelchair, etc)

Third is priority latitudes...no boarding group number needed

Fourth is Group 1

Fifth is Group 2

Sixth is Group 3, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You seem to be confusing priority check in (where you stand in the lines) with priority embarkation (where you actually walk from the terminal to the ship).

Priority embarkation refers to the fact that:

Haven boards first

Second is those needing assistance (wheelchair, etc)

Third is priority latitudes...no boarding group number needed

Fourth is Group 1

Fifth is Group 2

Sixth is Group 3, etc.

Ok, so I was mistaken with the terminology.  Since becoming Plat, even though there is supposed to be a line for priority check-in (not Haven, but Plats and other higher category cabins) and the general line where they may call group numbers or maybe not when there is not a lot of people sitting/waiting.   We thought we should be able to go to the line for priority check-in because we are Plats, but the staff standing/blocking the entrance to that priority line for Plats, just waved us toward the general line.

We shouldn't have to show up early in the boarding process, in order to go to the priority line.  It should be whenever we arrive.  But probably because the ships were sailing with less than half capacity those times, the general lines were not long, so it was no big deal.

27 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Priority to me means when we get there and there is supposed to be a line for Plats, we can go to that (shorter, or empty) line rather than the general line.

I have.  And I also posted:

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've done this three times post Covid and it has been the same every time.  Also the same is the presence of a Platinum and above express line to get to the check-in counters. 

Well @ChiefMateJRK, we have had different experience for embarkation/check-in.  Since becoming Plat, we have NOT been able to go into the express line to get to check-in counter.  They were blocked off and/or staff waving us toward the general line. 

But you've also said you've not done embarkation at a foreign port, while our embarkations have all been at foreign ports since the pandemic, with different procedures.

6 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Well @ChiefMateJRK, we have had different experience for embarkation/check-in.  Since becoming Plat, we have NOT been able to go into the express line to get to check-in counter.  They were blocked off and/or staff waving us toward the general line. 

But you've also said you've not done embarkation at a foreign port, while our embarkations have all been at foreign ports since the pandemic, with different procedures.

That's likely the difference.  We've sailed out of Seattle twice and MCT once since Covid, and in all cases there was a priority check-in line (we were only Platinum the last two) and priority embarkation (the first called for Gold after Platinum, which we were).

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

Ok. My next NCL cruise is from Panama so I will make a note on how priority check in works for me. 

42 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Ok. My next NCL cruise is from Panama so I will make a note on how priority check in works for me. 

It should be different.

For us on the Jewel this past March, it was the first time Jewel started sailing after 2 years of pandemic and many cancelled cruises.  Both the port of Colon and NCL were unorganized, didn't communicate well with each other.  After we got off our shuttle, we saw a line to a small building booth, and another line to the cruise terminal.  We then found out we're supposed to go to the first line to pay a Panama exit fee, in US cash.  But we then saw a bus unloading people and they were just waved inside cruise terminal, some then came out to line up but not all of them coming back out. 

In the line going into the cruise terminal, we also had to show proof of vaccination, and a negative Covid test within 48hr (we did go to a clinic in Panama city to pay and get that testing).   Then we continue to wheel our luggages (no porters outside), in one line, to have our passport and cruise docs checked, and leave our luggages with the porters behind that counter.   After that we go line up for NCL check-in.    Fortunately the ship only had 1/3 capacity, so there were line ups, but not huge long line ups.

Oh, all the cabins were ready as soon as we get on ship, again because it was the first sailing of the Jewel, so there were no passengers before us.

Ship capacities have been going up, and the Covid testing/vaccination requirement have changed a lot, so the check in experience going forward should be a lot different.

Well regardless of what status or supposed 'priority' anyone might think they have, for the Gem TA from Barcelona on Dec 8 had whomever was nearest the top of the lines going first to 'embark' onto the ship.

The 9am time slots meant nothing to the Spanish workers. Anyone could check in any time.

58 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Well regardless of what status or supposed 'priority' anyone might think they have, for the Gem TA from Barcelona on Dec 8 had whomever was nearest the top of the lines going first to 'embark' onto the ship.

Which lines were these exactly?  Lines to get into the terminal?  Security lines?  Check-in lines?  Lines to board the ship?  Lines for the restrooms?  Please clarify.

Can someone clarify the differences in what/amounts you can order from menu Platinum dining vs FAS dining. I think FAS dining you can order 2 apps and Platinum dining only 1 app?  Does someone know all of the "rules" for the different dining "vouchers"? Thanks 🙂

On 12/24/2022 at 2:48 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

Thank you for that Platinum voucher pre-booking tip!! We just made Platinum as well and that’s a great strategy to use! Prebook an a la carte restaurant 125 days out at the desired time. Then when you show up tell the restaurant host we’ll be using one of our Platinum vouchers to pay for it. This way we can avoid standing in the long Dining Reservations line to make those reservations once we board. Are we interpreting this strategy correctly?

Your conclusion is basically correct, but that isn’t what ChiefMate was saying.

Yes, I would recommend booking in advance, not just those with platinum

meals. It saves time on embarkation day when there are far better things to be doing. There is nothing to stop you booking platinum meals prior to the cruise, whatever some NCL phone staff may say.

However, Chiefmates point was that when you do book them, make sure you book fixed price places first (Moderno and Teppanyaki) to avoid having to pay when booking. This only works if you have a dining package.

There is a link to a guide to this in my signature. It is out of date (I’ve been promising to update it for about a year now), but it still Covers this bit OK I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For us (Platinum) this month in Miami:

We arrived around 11:15 and were waved into the general check in line because the line was so short. One couple in front of us. It would've been a pretty much non-existent (okay, maybe two minute max) difference for us to get into a Latitudes Priority line, so we didn't quibble when staff blocked it and waved us into general.

We DID still get priority boarding. Called to board right after mobility assist group around 11:50 and on ship by noon.

• Like 1