We booked a Viking Mediterranean Cruise in August, for April 2023 .  We paid in full by the end of September, but it was fully refundable, less $100, until Dec 4.  I have yet to buy insurance and wondering if I have waited too long.  Neither my husband or I have any illnesses or take any meds.  We purchased our airfare last week.  Please advise our best option.  Mainly, we would like to be covered if our flights/baggage is delayed and major medical issues that could arise.

Thanks so much for your help.

too late for "Cancel For Any Reason" and for a waiver for Pre-Existing condition, but neither of those seem to be a concern.

Since Steve at TripInsuranceStore is sponsoring this section of the board, why not visit his site at Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)    or give them a call at 888-407-3854

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, springtravel said:

We booked a Viking Mediterranean Cruise in August, for April 2023 .  We paid in full by the end of September, but it was fully refundable, less $100, until Dec 4.  I have yet to buy insurance and wondering if I have waited too long.  Neither my husband or I have any illnesses or take any meds.  We purchased our airfare last week.  Please advise our best option.  Mainly, we would like to be covered if our flights/baggage is delayed and major medical issues that could arise.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi springtravel,

The deadline to get a travel insurance plan is the day before you leave home as long as nothing has happened where you would file a claim.

Steve Dasseos

Once you have paid your final payment, your money is at risk if you have to cancel. Buying insurance now would protect you if a medical issue or some other covered reason caused you to cancel. A comprehensive policy will cover cancellation, interruption, and delay as well as medical expenses that may occur during your trip.

As Steve says, you can wait; however, you are at risk for any hazard that could cause you to cancel such as an accident or a new diagnosis.

If you are concerned about travel risks en route, look for a policy with generous Trip Delay benefits. Some offer as little as $500 per person, but you can find policies with higher caps. If you have more than one flight to your destination, look for a policy with Missed Connection, which will help you catch up to your trip or possibly reimburse if you can’t. Be sure to contact the insurance company for instructions if you have problems along the way.

The people at Trip Insurance Store can help you find the right policy to match your concerns.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1