OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE DEC- JAN 8 2023

morpheusofthesea

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

.  I do not recall such a benefit (reserved deck loungers) as the norm in the YC

This is one of the comparisons that we came to appreciate when we took a Thanksgiving cruise this November on the Celebrity Edge. Firstly we much appreciated the bigger balcony on the Seaside class Royal Suites 355 sq ft vs the 70 square footer with the Royal Suite on the Beyond. Next no one could rent/reserve a cabana on the Retreat deck and we overheard a women complain to the Retreat staff of chair hogs coveting the best locations and she demanded that the personal property be removed after 30 minutes of no shows. The staff refused, even though it was written policy to do so. On MSC one can just rent one daily or weekly or just commandeer one.

24 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is one of the comparisons that we came to appreciate when we took a Thanksgiving cruise this November on the Celebrity Edge. Firstly we much appreciated the bigger balcony on the Seaside class Royal Suites 355 sq ft vs the 70 square footer with the Royal Suite on the Beyond. Next no one could rent/reserve a cabana on the Retreat deck and we overheard a women complain to the Retreat staff of chair hogs coveting the best locations and she demanded that the personal property be removed after 30 minutes of no shows. The staff refused, even though it was written policy to do so. On MSC one can just rent one daily or weekly or just commandeer one.

You are preaching to the choir (at least with me) as we love the YC.  However, because of our dedication to world travel, we do cruise on many other lines and also spend time doing on own thing on land.  MSC is not taking us across the south Pacific, to New Zealand, Antarctica, Japan, etc.  But when it comes to a relaxing few weeks in the Caribbean, we have found nothing better than the YC.

As to the YC pool deck, we have always done perfectly fine "commandeering" loungers :).  Our only complaint is the lack of shade.  I am still shaking my head at the interloper problem on your ship.  The YC Manager should clamp down on this problem ASAP as it can effectively have a negative impact on those who have actually paid for YC access.

Hank

• Like 1

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Compared to our inside cabin.

As you mention being in an inside cabin, let me bounce a question off of you that I have already asked on the general MSC board.
Are you able to store your luggage underneath the bed?

Given what seems to be an astonishingly small area for storage that is provided, it seems like using our suitcases as daily storage areas might be the way to solve the problem. 
As you can  probably tell, this will be our first time in a YCI cabin.

Tonight everyone in the Yacht Club received this invitation. Being the third cruise there has not been a tea time in the Top Sail Lounge. Too many on board in the YC. So this is a one time invitation this cruise for tea time. Please notice the venue has been changed to the YC restaurant as it seats 180 guests (there are 329 guests this sailing). (Do I hear the theme music from the Perry Mason Series ?)

IMG_2622.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobbiegentry said:

As you mention being in an inside cabin, let me bounce a question off of you that I have already asked on the general MSC board.

Given what seems to be an astonishingly small area for storage that is provided, it seems like using our suitcases as daily storage areas might be the way to solve the problem. 

Honestly do not know. Never booked an inside cabin on a MSC ship. Been on inside cabins for 50 years on many other now scrapped ships and they had room under the beds except the Independence/ Constitution which didn't have room for us (2 bunkbeds). The steward said he would store our luggage for us. It was either upgrade or DW was on next flight home. Thank goodness they had a just ONE category upgrade for $300 more available.

2 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Unless the YC has deteriorated since our last cruise (Oct) you have nothing to fear.  Most luggage should easily fit under your bed.  If not, just ask one of your cabin stewards/stewardesses or mention it to your Butler  The situation will be quickly resolved.  In the YC we seldom to ever hear the word, "No."

Hanik

2 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Besides this was our first MSC Royal Suite on Divina. Absolutely no storage space for my Diva, so we lived out of our suitcases.

5FCF7D5D-644A-47E9-82F1-4B8AC31B3EDE.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Tonight everyone in the Yacht Club received this invitation. Being the third cruise there has not been a tea time in the Top Sail Lounge. Too many on board in the YC."

Here is a video by Romanian media personality, Leonard Miron, detailing the "Farewell Afternoon Tea" overseen by Director Sheriffs, on a Virtuosa cruise in July.

Perhaps, Morpheus, you can comment as to the similarities and differences between the tea service on Seascape and that which Dl. Miron shows us.

As to my hopes for our March cruise on Seascape, afternoon tea may very well be a make-or-break aspect of annual MSC patronage in the future. If "Americanization" is to be the order of the day going forward, my list of must-haves will be all the more crucial. 

Depending on how things go in March, I don't rule out a drop to the minimum level of cruising needed to maintain Diamond status.

5 hours ago, no1talks said:

Perhaps, Morpheus, you can comment as to the similarities and differences between the tea service on Seascape and that which Dl. Miron shows us

High Tea on board is a quite nice experience as are all the experiences in the Yacht Club, like lunch at Ocean House on Ocean Cay Day. As whenever one has the chance to experience the world famous High Teas  they can be memorable through out ones lifetime. We had a couple to which we compare every other High Tea. Often imitated, rarely duplicated were days now gone by like the High Tea at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong or the Intercontinental Hotel in Istanbul served on Gucci china. One hears of such lavishness, but very few appreciate the effort put out by the establishments. You, sir, know how to appreciate the finer things in life and you dress appropriately for these occasions. One would not be allowed into the Peninsula or the Gucci china would not be used if one was not dressed appropriately for these venues.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

We stored ours under the bed on Meraviglia. I know we are talking about a different ship but I imagine the bed set Up is similar. We had to use the under bed storage bc DH is a heavy packer…. Not like the missus @morpheusofthesea but pretty darn close. He has to have “options”. So on our last cruise, he stored his options under the bed. 

• Like 1

The gist of these 3 20second videos are the ‘smootch’ test of the deck lounge, deck chair at table and cushion all located outdoors at the back stern of the ship. I used a clean white “Bounty” paper towel (DW has one suitcase devoted to cleaning supplies). Could find no evidence of any soot at 8:30 am having been sailing all night.

• Like 1

A 14 second clip from last nights show production "Concert". 

P.S. The reason I like to post how long these videos are, is because many CC alumni find them  difficult.

P.S.S. We know how they feel, having to sit through 45 minutes waiting for a great finale.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
PPS

15 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Morpheous may have had an inside cabin back in his youth!  To answer your question, yes there is ample room to store luggage under the bed.  It if it is an very thick one, you may have to leave it open and use it as a laundry hamper.

Sorry!  Should have read on down the post to see that this was already answered!

Edited by JAGR
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Word is being passed around the Yacht Club to its members that there will be an unadvertised New Years Eve party at the One Pool Deck beginning at 10 pm. 

Mum's the word.

My mother snuck into Yacht Club once. Once!

wgj0kR.gif.94e65a1f08d8a4b0be8a1a8b2aba4334.gif

(Tip o' the cap to you, if you recognize the movie.)