Zaandam questions

3rdGenCunarder

It's five years since I've been on an R or S ship. I'm thinking about Zaandam in 2024. Sadly, there are no wake-view cabins, but I am looking at something aft, as most mid-ship Vista "suites" are booked. Any issues with vibration toward the back? Up on deck 6, I should be high enough not to be bothered, but thought I'd ask. 

Also, there appear to be aft deck areas on 6 and 7. Do the hallways have doors to those little deck spaces? And are there any chairs? I'll have a balcony, but sometimes I want to watch the wake. 

When is the next drydock/upgrade? I've been seeing confusing comments about the state of the TVs, and hope that in a year there will be new ones. Given HAL's meager entertainments on the small ships, I may want to just watch a movie some evenings. On the subject of entertainment, I know there's no Lincoln Center. Is there any classical quartet/trio/duo? And a piano and/or band of some sort in a bar at night? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's five years since I've been on an R or S ship. I'm thinking about Zaandam in 2024. Sadly, there are no wake-view cabins, but I am looking at something aft, as most mid-ship Vista "suites" are booked. Any issues with vibration toward the back? Up on deck 6, I should be high enough not to be bothered, but thought I'd ask. 

Also, there appear to be aft deck areas on 6 and 7. Do the hallways have doors to those little deck spaces? And are there any chairs? I'll have a balcony, but sometimes I want to watch the wake. 

When is the next drydock/upgrade? I've been seeing confusing comments about the state of the TVs, and hope that in a year there will be new ones. Given HAL's meager entertainments on the small ships, I may want to just watch a movie some evenings. On the subject of entertainment, I know there's no Lincoln Center. Is there any classical quartet/trio/duo? And a piano and/or band of some sort in a bar at night? 

My guess is there will be an classical group in the Explorers lounge as that's what HAL did before they cut some of the Explorers lounges in half and made a Lincoln Center.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I can answer the music question. I was on the Zaandam in September and there was a nice classical duo in the Explorer’s Lounge most evenings. The Ocean Bar had a pretty good band also. At that time, it was a bit jazzy. I really enjoyed listening to them in the evenings. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The hall doors do end onto the aft decks. You can probably have HAL bring down a chair from Seaview pool area if there isn't one. But others may use it when they find out. Havent seen many other people use these decks. The Is also stairs from pool deck down to deck 7 and 6 which is convenient if you are at aft pool and your cabin is aft. 

On 12/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm thinking about Zaandam in 2024. Sadly, there are no wake-view cabins, but I am looking at something aft, as most mid-ship Vista "suites" are booked

Zaandam/Volendam 7083 and 7086 are Ocean View Partial Obstructed staterooms with wake watching through the window and easy access to that aft deck (which others described in this thread). A few people will discover that public deck but it is not high traffic. You can see pics on the Facts of HAL site.

https://halfacts.com/r-class/7086-volendam/

11 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

Zaandam/Volendam 7083 and 7086 are Ocean View Partial Obstructed staterooms with wake watching through the window and easy access to that aft deck (which others described in this thread). A few people will discover that public deck but it is not high traffic. You can see pics on the Facts of HAL site.

https://halfacts.com/r-class/7086-volendam/

Thanks, but I think a balcony, even if it isn't aft, works better for me. I like being able to step out for fresh air first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I don't want to be roaming the halls in my robe for that early morning weather check!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Question on Zandaam ship, is Club HAL kids club still on board?!  This may make or break our July 2023 cruise from Montreal, I see they removed the offering from the ships listing on the webpage but shows it on the ship layout and spreadsheet of offerings. Any recent updates are appreciated, I asked the HAL online chat but the customer service seemed no way versed in any particulars.

9 hours ago, Jkrouse22 said:

Question on Zandaam ship, is Club HAL kids club still on board?!  This may make or break our July 2023 cruise from Montreal, I see they removed the offering from the ships listing on the webpage but shows it on the ship layout and spreadsheet of offerings. Any recent updates are appreciated, I asked the HAL online chat but the customer service seemed no way versed in any particulars.

Well it doesn’t help you now, but I’m taking this cruise April 29. Hit me up for a reminder if you didn’t hear anything by then

Edited by spleenstomper