Anyone just back from Seascape?

jame_g

Yes, I've seen a couple of posts from the inaugural cruise and from someone who is currently on-board. I know inaugural cruises can have some rough spots since it's a new ship and a crew that is just learning to work together. Just wondering people feel that things a slowly starting to improve and if overall they liked the ship and enjoyed their experience. I know it's still early.

I have a cruise booked later in 2023 on Seascape. I didn't specifically pick the Seascape, it just worked out for what I was looking for. And it's a sister ship to the Seashore which we thought was a nice ship. However, I am getting ready to book another cruise for early 2024. For the time and itinerary I was looking at, it is the Seascape again. So I was hoping to get some additional perspectives before I actually booked a second cruise on the Seascape. The plan is to be in the YC, so hoping for that perspective as well.

Thanks for any input from those who have been on the initial sailings.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the ship. Any specific things you want to know?

We liked the ship. It's brand new and food was good. Also went to specialty restaurants Butcher's Cut and Ocean Cay Restaurant. Both were great. Service was hit or miss. Cabins are great. Bathrooms very small. Great entertainment. 

• Like 1

We got off the ship 1/2/23.   Here are some observations from someone who has cruised over 25 times mostly on Royal Caribbean and first time on MSC.   The Ship is beautiful and the food quality is very good.  My six grandsons enjoyed the water slides greatly.  Now the bad news.   It is doubtful that we ever cruise on MSC again unless we go the Yacht Club route.   We believe that Royal Caribbean is much better.  Embarkation and debarkation ran about two hours behind schedule.  It is utter chaos.  It did seem Yacht Club people got on and off easier and quicker.    Also for breakfast, only the buffet is open for non Yacht Club people.  It was constantly overcrowded and understaffed.  Elevators system is a mess.  Some elevator would be overcrowded and the next empty.  You can only take the elevator that you are assigned in order to stop at the floor you are hoping to get to.  We witnessed at least 6 bathroom floodings.    While we were traveling with our two adult children and 6 grandkids we were determined to have a great time and we did.  I just think for the money, there are better options, at least for us. 

2 hours ago, indianaguy said:

We got off the ship 1/2/23.   Here are some observations from someone who has cruised over 25 times mostly on Royal Caribbean and first time on MSC.   The Ship is beautiful and the food quality is very good.  My six grandsons enjoyed the water slides greatly.  Now the bad news.   It is doubtful that we ever cruise on MSC again unless we go the Yacht Club route.   We believe that Royal Caribbean is much better.  Embarkation and debarkation ran about two hours behind schedule.  It is utter chaos.  It did seem Yacht Club people got on and off easier and quicker.    Also for breakfast, only the buffet is open for non Yacht Club people.  It was constantly overcrowded and understaffed.  Elevators system is a mess.  Some elevator would be overcrowded and the next empty.  You can only take the elevator that you are assigned in order to stop at the floor you are hoping to get to.  We witnessed at least 6 bathroom floodings.    While we were traveling with our two adult children and 6 grandkids we were determined to have a great time and we did.  I just think for the money, there are better options, at least for us. 

Thanks for your honest review. We've also sailed mostly RC over the years, but gave MSC a try several years ago because we wanted to try the YC, and they also did a nice status match. Did Seashore in 2019 and Meraviglia in 2021, both times YC. (The Meraviglia cruise was one of those very low capacity cruises, it was insane with the total being just under 1000 passengers.) I can completely understand the "not RC" feeling you described. We've definitely felt that when we've sailed other lines as well. 

Just booked Seascape for September and crossing our fingers it's a good cruise. 

We were on the Sescape for the Christmas Cruise in a Fantastica Balcony with a promotion of Easy + drink package and wifi.  We booked it since it was almost 1/3 the cost of a RC Balcony cabin with a drink package.  We have sailed with MSC before in YC and loved it.  We don't use wifi during vacations so I don't know about that but the drink package worked well and the cabin was very nice.  Christmas/NY cruises are going to be crazy busy - we've been on RC and NCL during those times.  There will also be crowds  and rude people.  Two things were nice about this sailing:  I didn't have to use the public restrooms for 2.5 days until the bathroom in our cabin got fixed (Oasis of the Seas) and the adult area rules were actually being enforced by a security crew member at the Infinity pool and the Thermal Spa Area. 

The bar service in the Infinity Bar and the Loft Cafe was perfect. The band in the loft and the shows in the cabaret were entertaining. 

We didn't have any problems with embarkation but the other couple we wer with did.  Their checkin time was 10:30 am and they waited until after 12 before they could get on board.  Our checkin time was 12:30pm, and we walked in.

We didn't have any problems disembarkation either - people who were trying to get off the ship with 2-3 suitcases early created chaos and from what I understand a hostile line formed.  I think people don't consider customs and immigration limitations.  We disembarked a little after 11, got our suitcases and with porter's help went through facial recognition and got out.  There were still waiting for customs and immigration.

Two things that are bothersome:

Buffet is the only free food available besides the MDR.  NCL, RC and Carnival have alternatives.  Not only that but the buffet was not open all the time.

Entertainment - there are no Broadway shows, ice shows, aqua theatre etc.  The singers are very good choreography still needs improvement, everyone is still getting used to working together. The theater shows need improvement.

MDR service slow until we mentioned it - the service itself was actually good - we asked for a cheese plate in the beginning of the dinner with wine while waiting for dinner and it was ready every night for us. We are not foodies, we liked the food in the MDR, we ate breakfast and lunch in the MDR most often too since I don't believe no buffet is sanitary.

We were happy, we enjoyed ourselves and we rebooked YC later in the year on Seascape.

Edited by nednrom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jules815 said:

Just booked Seascape for September and crossing our fingers it's a good cruise. 

We just booked Seascape (not YC because I am cheap) on September 17th ourself. Our previous experience (also not YC, still cheap) on MSC wasn't great, but you can't beat the prices and we'll see if the North America side better suits us. 

Can anyone confirm if there is really only one plug in the entire cabin?

In the year of our lord 2023 it's hard to imagine.

Are there USB plugs at least?

I have no idea how DH and I will manage with only one plug.

35 minutes ago, angelsil said:

We just booked Seascape (not YC because I am cheap) on September 17th ourself. Our previous experience (also not YC, still cheap) on MSC wasn't great, but you can't beat the prices and we'll see if the North America side better suits us. 

Can anyone confirm if there is really only one plug in the entire cabin?

In the year of our lord 2023 it's hard to imagine.

Are there USB plugs at least?

I have no idea how DH and I will manage with only one plug.

I believe there were 4 plugs in our cabin at Seascape (2 US / 2 EU) and 3 USB ports. 2 at the desk and 1 next to the bed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris19821 said:

I believe there were 4 plugs in our cabin at Seascape (2 US / 2 EU) and 3 USB ports. 2 at the desk and 1 next to the bed.

USB next to the bed, and not an outlet, right? 

Just watched a YouTube video of a YC cabin on Seascape, and I can't believe in this day and age of so many people using CPAP machines, that the new builds don't at least have one outlet next to the bed.

8 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Just watched a YouTube video of a YC cabin on Seascape, and I can't believe in this day and age of so many people using CPAP machines, that the new builds don't at least have one outlet next to the bed.

True, no outlets next to the bed. Just one USB port (left, when the bed is next to the window -  right, when the bed is next to the bathroom).

3 hours ago, jules815 said:

Do you mean so many Americans getting fatter and unhealthier… thus the need for CPAP?

• Like 1

I did see someone getting extension cords from guest services for this purpose on our last cruise. It's a little surprising to me not to have at least one regular outlet and one USB by the bed(s).

These posts are helpful because overall it sounds like things are gradually improving on the Seascape vs some of the reviews from the first couple cruises.