Christmas on Oceania

cruiseluvva

A few questions if I may?

We are Cunard loyalists, though have cruised on Riviera once in the Med - and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are looking at booking Vista over Christmas next year, in a Penthouse if that makes any difference, and wondered how Oceania “do” Christmas. Being from the UK, a proper Christmas is important to us, so what could we expect? I am vegetarian by the way.

Our flights would need to be Business, and we would only be able to get inclusive Economy flights from Oceania, so are we better off arranging our own, which we could almost certainly get with miles, or are upgrade costs reasonable via Oceania?

Many thanks for any replies and  Merry Christmas! 🎄

Edited by cruiseluvva

Go for it!  👍🙏🎄 We were on Riviera last year prior to Christmas and the decorations were great and the gingerbread village was amazing. Crew as always was outstanding and attentive. 
No one knows exactly what Vista will be like for Christmas but my guess is 👍👍👍👍👍👍 We will have been on her in May and again in October in a PH and have high expectations because based on the videos and everything we have seen about Vista, she will be magnificent. 
Use your own miles account to fly Business Class, O’s PE is not upgradeable so do your own thing. Have a fabulous Christmas. 
Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

When I went on Riviera 4 years ago, it was very nice, but overrun with children, 90 to be exact. There is no program for them usually, so they hired some people to do something special with them, but many of them did not attend. They were running all over the place on New Years Eve. We were told that there wouldn't be many onboard. Maybe we were just unlucky. But I thought I heard when I was on QM2 last year for the holidays that they only allow 15 passengers under the age of 18. We were just on the Marina. The decorations were beautiful, but nothing like QM2. The dress is not as formal on Oceania, but i must say that on that holiday cruise, people were much more dressed up than the other Oceania cruises we have been on. There was a Gingerbread House. Here are pictures from Marina this month.

MarinaStairChristmas.jpg

MarinaLobbyChristmasTrees.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on Oceania now. 
Christmas Eve was carols. Christmas Day was goose in the GDR. Santa came Christmas morning with gifts for the children. We had a gift left on our bed Christmas Eve. Specialities don’t have special meals over the 2 days. 
You can’t get good old roast potatoes anywhere. We actually ordered them and got wedges! Christmas Eve is staff party night and so things were pretty bad in the terrace for breakfast, Christmas Day! 
Nice to see people dressed up. 
Marina lounge had a Christmas film showing.
We brought gifts for some staff of which they were very grateful. 
Not super exciting I’m afraid, but the shifts have to carry on as clockwork for the staff . They did very well overall . 

Edited by janecambridge
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseluvva said:

We are Cunard loyalists, though have cruised on Riviera once in the Med - and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are looking at booking Vista over Christmas next year, in a Penthouse if that makes any difference, and wondered how Oceania “do” Christmas. Being from the UK, a proper Christmas is important to us, so what could we expect? I am vegetarian by the way.

Our flights would need to be Business, and we would only be able to get inclusive Economy flights from Oceania, so are we better off arranging our own, which we could almost certainly get with miles, or are upgrade costs reasonable via Oceania?

If you book Oceania  make sure there is  a note on your file you are vegetarian/Vegan  whatever the case may be

Some Vegetarians will eat fish some will not  

I am sure you will not starve  but it may not be what you are used to

JMO

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you book Oceania  make sure there is  a note on your file you are vegetarian/Vegan  whatever the case may be

Some Vegetarians will eat fish some will not  

I am sure you will not starve  but it may not be what you are used to

JMO

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thank you.

Edited by cruiseluvva

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

We were on Riviera last year prior to Christmas and the decorations were great and the gingerbread village was amazing. Crew as always was outstanding and attentive....

Were you on Riviera for the W. Caribbean cruise, 12/13-23/21? We had to stop for the Haitian boat that was empty on the way west and then dropped off the sick passenger at Key West on the way back. Watch them put up the Christmas decorations on Sirena on 11/25/22 but no gingerbread houses on her. Two sets of competing crew working on two different trees by reception. They took some nice group photos.

1 hour ago, janecambridge said:

We are on Oceania now. 
Christmas Eve was carols. Christmas Day was goose in the GDR. Santa came Christmas morning with gifts for the children. We had a gift left on our bed Christmas Eve. Specialities don’t have special meals over the 2 days. 
You can’t get good old roast potatoes anywhere. We actually ordered them and got wedges! Christmas Eve is staff party night and so things were pretty bad in the terrace for breakfast, Christmas Day! 
Nice to see people dressed up. 
Marina lounge had a Christmas film showing.
We brought gifts for some staff of which they were very grateful. 
Not super exciting I’m afraid, but the shifts have to carry on as clockwork for the staff . They did very well overall . 

We are on the Insignia right now and we had special meals in both Polo and Toscana on Christmas Eve (goose) and Toscana (Turkey) on Christmas Day.  Guess it depends on the ship.

Terri

4 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

If you are using a travel agent perhaps some of your questions could be addressed by them. Best wishes! 

18 minutes ago, cruiseluvva said:

My apologies, I thought some on here might have personal experience. I’ll ask elsewhere.

Were you able to read all the responses recounting personal experiences both past & present? I found them very helpful, especially all the pictures.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cruiseluvva said:

My apologies, I thought some on here might have personal experience. I’ll ask elsewhere.

Haven't been on a Christmas cruise with Oceania, so I can contribute any insight there.  However, I think the overwhelming consensus of O regulars is that you should purchase your own air if you are flying Business.  Some even report O agents recommending that, as their business flights are no deal and you don't get credit for for any included air, if you choose the included air option.

Edited by 1985rz1

Amen, you can ask anything and get a great response that answers your questions. Really, everything you could ask has been answered more than once on this Board. We talked for over a year with DENIE and they were first timers last summer.  A longtime Celebrity cruiser and now a member of our Oceania family. I am sure you will see him post very soon, great people. 

We always book dinner in Privee with our travel companions and it is ALWAYS Special. Hopefully it is celebrating a special occasion so tell your Butler to make sure there is a delicious cake provided for desert. They are WONDERFUL. You can book your Specialty reservations before your friends, 75 days out for you, and you can book a 4 Top or bigger and include them in the reservation by adding their Booking number. You can book a round of the 4 restaurants and if you are allocated more, just have your Butler take care of it for you. Also, Course by Course dining in your Suite from any restaurant will be great fun too. 

I know it will be tough to cruise on O, but just tough it out 🤪👍🙏

Mauibabes

• Like 1