Vegetarian Suggestions--sailing on the Breakaway Western Caribbean

joy walker

8 minutes ago, joy walker said:

Traveling out of NOLA in March.  A few in our group are vegetarian. Looking for suggestions including suggestions specialty dining nights. TIA.

You can find the specialty dining menu options on the NCL website. 

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

Most of these menus have vegetarian dishes listed.

Here's another source for menus.  This isn't specific to the Breakaway or to any specific cruise but it should give you ideas on what might be available.

https://profcruise.com/norwegian-dining-and-restaurant-menus-2022/

I'm not vegetarian so I cannot give advice on specific vegetarian choices.

We were on the joy. I did list I was a vegetarian before boarding. The first night in the main dining room the assistant maitre d came to our table and said if I needed any special meals besides what was on the menu to let him know. If I went to a special restaurant with the people I was traveling with I could order something special 24 hours in advance. He checked with me every night about the menu.

So just ask for the assistant maitre d if you need any special meals

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You can find the specialty dining menu options on the NCL website. 

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

Most of these menus have vegetarian dishes listed.

Here's another source for menus.  This isn't specific to the Breakaway or to any specific cruise but it should give you ideas on what might be available.

https://profcruise.com/norwegian-dining-and-restaurant-menus-2022/

I'm not vegetarian so I cannot give advice on specific vegetarian choices.

Thank you. This is a great start.  

1 hour ago, Montanagirlalways said:

We were on the joy. I did list I was a vegetarian before boarding. The first night in the main dining room the assistant maitre d came to our table and said if I needed any special meals besides what was on the menu to let him know. If I went to a special restaurant with the people I was traveling with I could order something special 24 hours in advance. He checked with me every night about the menu.

So just ask for the assistant maitre d if you need any special meals

Thank you.   I will make sure vegetarians are listed pre-boarding.  As a vegetarian- is there anything you really liked? or recommend?   

1 hour ago, FlGoodShips said:

I have also spoken to the Executive Chef.

If not in person, just ask for his number at Guest Services and call him when you get on the ship. They are extremely helpful and accommodating.

Great to know that they are accommodating!  Do you have any specific recommendations for something you really liked? 

16 minutes ago, joy walker said:

Thank you.   I will make sure vegetarians are listed pre-boarding.  As a vegetarian- is there anything you really liked? or recommend?   

15 minutes ago, joy walker said:

Great to know that they are accommodating!  Do you have any specific recommendations for something you really liked? 

While it is very nice that you care, the folks who are vegetarians should choose something that THEY like, not what some stranger on an Internet forum liked. Different people have different tastes. Trust that they can choose something to their liking.

32 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

While it is very nice that you care, the folks who are vegetarians should choose something that THEY like, not what some stranger on an Internet forum liked. Different people have different tastes. Trust that they can choose something to their liking.

100% agree!  However, recommendations can led to combinations or offering you didn't know could be.  Which is why I posted here.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joy walker said:

Lots of soups, salads, Portobello muchroom dish in LeBistro, Butternut squash risotto, spinach and artichoke dip, veggie burger..

Too many to remember..sorry.

But just look on the menus...they will have a "V" next to dishes you can have. They are all really good.

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

in the Garden Cafe, you can request a veggie burger. A selection of vegetarian Indian options (yummy) are available everyday too as well as other veg options.

Pre-pandemic Breakaway did a special Indian lunch buffet, not sure if it will be offered again

14 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Was this really necessary? 

Have you NEVER asked someone for a recommendation? Favorite park, book, restaurant, car, gas station, school for your kids?  

There is nothing wrong with someone asking for a recommendation. In fact, that's what web forums like this are all about. Don't spout your "critic" definition quote. It's old, contrived, and artificial as I can find plenty of other definitions that don't support your supposed definition gospel.

The person, @joy walker, can then do whatever they want with the recommendations. Maybe they love cauliflower, so they'll try that cauliflower steak @valleyvillage mentioned (btw, it sounds horrid to this meat eater) or the butternut squash risotto mentioned by @FlGoodShips. Trust that people asking for recommendations can make their own decisions when presented options and opinions that aren't your own. 

Let people use the forum how they want. You're not a moderator, which means you're just a criticer like the rest of us plebes. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

Roasted Cauliflower Steak / Ras al Hanout / Almonds / Grapes at Oceal Blue is one of my favorites!

yes the cauliflower steak at Ocean Blue was very good. I thought it could have done with a little more sauce or maybe even feta cheese if one does cheese. They made me a delicious Tofu stir fry. I believe it had a teriyaki sauce that was delicious.  They will also serve different vegetable curries! So go with ideas and they will make it.  Also eggplant parm was good

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Was this really necessary? 

Have you NEVER asked someone for a recommendation? Favorite park, book, restaurant, car, gas station, school for your kids?  

There is nothing wrong with someone asking for a recommendation. In fact, that's what web forums like this are all about. Don't spout your "critic" definition quote. It's old, contrived, and artificial as I can find plenty of other definitions that don't support your supposed definition gospel.

The person, @joy walker, can then do whatever they want with the recommendations. Maybe they love cauliflower, so they'll try that cauliflower steak @valleyvillage mentioned (btw, it sounds horrid to this meat eater) or the butternut squash risotto mentioned by @FlGoodShips. Trust that people asking for recommendations can make their own decisions when presented options and opinions that aren't your own. 

Let people use the forum how they want. You're not a moderator, which means you're just a criticer like the rest of us plebes. 

Physician, heal thyself.

Yes, I believe that it was necessary. Who are you to say otherwise? Am I not allowed to have my opinion, your highness?

I certainly have asked for recommendations. However, I only ask for recommendations from those who know my preferences, or that take the time to learn them before dispensing advice. It's a waste of everyone's time otherwise.

Besides, all of the options are listed on the menus, and those dining can certainly choose what they prefer without anyone here attempting to direct their own personal choice of what to eat.

Now, let's allow people to choose what they want to eat, and let's let people post as they see fit...assuming that's OK with the board scold.

14 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Physician, heal thyself.

Yes, I believe that it was necessary. Who are you to say otherwise? Am I not allowed to have my opinion, your highness?

I certainly have asked for recommendations. However, I only ask for recommendations from those who know my preferences, or that take the time to learn them before dispensing advice. It's a waste of everyone's time otherwise.

Besides, all of the options are listed on the menus, and those dining can certainly choose what they prefer without anyone here attempting to direct their own personal choice of what to eat.

Now, let's allow people to choose what they want to eat, and let's let people post as they see fit...assuming that's OK with the board scold.

Oooooo! Board scold. I like it! I do work in HR, so I suppose it's appropriate. 🙂

But, yes, let's people post as they see fit. We certainly agree on that. 

On 12/26/2022 at 7:07 PM, joy walker said:

I'm not vegetarian, but the Bloody Mary is an excellent start.  Properly prepared, it comes with a celery stick and an olive, and sometimes a gherkin pickle stuffed in the olive.  What's not to like? ☺️

• Like 2