Oosterdam - Port Stanley - 12/27 Make it or Not?

drowelf

Can anybody on board comment if you made Port Stanley today? I've been tracking the ship to see if it makes it to the Antarctic this season and it was scheduled to be in port today, but cruisemapper has it cruising south at 17 knots at 13:30 local. It was supposed to be in port until 17:00, so I presume that due to the weather (20+ mph winds, 3+ meter seas) that was a no go. 

2 minutes ago, REOVA said:

@ShipWalkeris onboard and can clarify but in another post it was noted Oosterdam entered the harbor, did not anchor, and left. So most likely weather did not allow (pretty common). 

Thanks. I figured that might be the case from the ship track on CruiseMapper. If I remember correctly, ships don't make port about 1/3 of the time at the Falklands. I know that our friends on board are bummed about missing that port, as its one of the best for penguin excursions. 

Edited by drowelf

We did the Falklands a few years back and was very aware that the tendering was a problem.
Made sure we were on the first tender ashore with the first tour going to the other-side of the island.
It was a rough ride.
Another tender arrived and that was it for the day.

They could not recall the Land Rovers so we had the day ashore. It was sad for those stuck onboard.

Oosterdam did stop at Port Stanley.  We got close but the Captain announced on the bedroom speakers (never a good sign) winds were about 20+ and we turned around and left.

Seas were rough the night before so it was a good indication this might happen. 

Todays sea just as rough all day. Beautiful day just rough ride.

EF04EAB4-EF5E-4C3B-9A81-38F32CD001C1.thumb.jpeg.a7b0ea339e7b209d2eff24dc765b12e6.jpeg

Edited by ShipWalker

20 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

Oosterdam did stop at Port Stanley.  We got close but the Captain announced on the bedroom speakers (never a good sign) winds were about 20+ and we turned around and left.

Seas were rough the night before so it was a good indication this might happen. 

Todays sea just as rough all day. Beautiful day just rough ride.

EF04EAB4-EF5E-4C3B-9A81-38F32CD001C1.thumb.jpeg.a7b0ea339e7b209d2eff24dc765b12e6.jpeg

Looks like snow drift. How'd you get the wind in the shakers. 🤔

On 12/27/2022 at 6:13 PM, Seacruise said:

We did the Falklands a few years back and was very aware that the tendering was a problem.
Made sure we were on the first tender ashore with the first tour going to the other-side of the island.
It was a rough ride.
Another tender arrived and that was it for the day.

They could not recall the Land Rovers so we had the day ashore. It was sad for those stuck onboard.

Can you expand on your nice day ashore comment. When did you get back on the ship?

We hiked out to Gypsy Cove in the cold wind to see the Penguins out there. A word of warning though is you better stay on the trail as there are possible Land Mines still in place. It is very well signed saying this. We also visited the Cenotaph to pay our respects. We took a car (they don't have taxis) back to town then visited the Church and whale bone then into the Shops and then the pub. We headed back to the tender about 3 PM and boy it was a rough ride back.
Very friendly locals and you will see lots of Royal Marines still posted there. Oh and if you like Land Rovers they are the number one car there.
Just be warned at this time of year (December) it is breading season and the limit is 200 yards away from penguins or behind the rope if they have one. The photo I have attached was on the trail we were walking on and I was not going around because of the Land Mine situation.

Hope this helps.

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

57 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We have sailed to Stanley three times and made it in all three times (Princess ships).  I am feeling blessed.  Statistically we should have missed it at least one of those three times.  It's definitely a memorable port of call.

Same here, 3 times on the Prinsendam.

• Like 1

Sorry you missed Port Stanley. We are on the next voyage and hopefully will have better luck. My wife (Sally) is really looking forward to the penguins.

Question. Are there any formal (Gala) nights on this cruise. The itinerary states smart casual for the entire cruise.  

There has been one dressy night so far on this cruise. I am seeing three total.

The itinerary for dressy (formally known as gala, which is not to be confused with formal (no formal)) nights will update on navigator when you get onboard.

B5159F17-65E4-4A1E-B809-D694503BD513.thumb.jpeg.892cb10a43cb6494d942500233b25345.jpeg
Copied last week from the orange “THE BASICS” handbook in every cabin that nobody reads.

Edited by ShipWalker

On 12/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, ShipWalker said:

There has been one dressy night so far on this cruise. I am seeing three total.

The itinerary for dressy (formally known as gala, which is not to be confused with formal (no formal)) nights will update on navigator when you get onboard.

B5159F17-65E4-4A1E-B809-D694503BD513.thumb.jpeg.892cb10a43cb6494d942500233b25345.jpeg
Copied last week from the orange “THE BASICS” handbook in every cabin that nobody reads.

Shipwalker, thanks for the dress information, we are packing now for our cruise leaving SA when you disembark. I hope your cruse has been everything you wanted. We were on a similar trip a few years back, excluding the Antarctica portion, and we did not make it into the Falkland Islands either. Hoping for good luck this trip. On a different note how is your internet service. Do you find you can send Photos? Just wondering as I have to work a little on the trip and Good WIFI would help.

All the best and travel safe.