How many days needed in Barcelona? Where to stay?

We will be cruising from Barcelona to Rome in mid June, 2024. I know we want to see Sagrada Familia. What else is a must see?  How many days would you suggest pre cruise?  We will also spend time in Rome post cruise. I’m thinking 2-3 days each. Is this enough. I have plenty of time to plan and will also check trip advisor. 

Do we need excursions or just do everything on our own?  Where should we stay?  Any suggestions for restaurants?

• Like 1

You could easily spend a week in both Barcelona and Rome.  I think the next step is to do some research and figure out what you want to see and whether you can do it in 2 -3 days.  In Barcelona two days you could get to Sagrada Fam. Parc Guell, Gothic Quarter, Ramblas (including market), and a couple of Gaudi houses.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mskaufman said:

You could easily spend a week in both Barcelona and Rome.  I think the next step is to do some research and figure out what you want to see and whether you can do it in 2 -3 days.  In Barcelona two days you could get to Sagrada Fam. Parc Guell, Gothic Quarter, Ramblas (including market), and a couple of Gaudi houses.

I wish we could spend a week in both, or at least in Italy. Italy has always been my dream vacation, so I’d like to spend as much time there as possible. I may only do 1-2 in Barcelona so we can have more time in Italy. Our cruise is 9 days and it would be difficult for my husband to be away from work more than a couple weeks at one time. It’s also a long time to leave our dogs. 

On 12/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I wish we could spend a week in both, or at least in Italy. Italy has always been my dream vacation, so I’d like to spend as much time there as possible. I may only do 1-2 in Barcelona so we can have more time in Italy. Our cruise is 9 days and it would be difficult for my husband to be away from work more than a couple weeks at one time. It’s also a long time to leave our dogs. 

Two days in Barcelona should allow you to see the major sites.  You just need some planning to time out what you want to see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

Two days in Barcelona should allow you to see the major sites.  You just need some planning to time out what you want to see.

That’s what I’m thinking. I’m going to create a binder of what all I’d like to do pre-cruise, at the various ports, and post cruise, and share it with my husband. He seems perfectly content to let me do all the research and planning.  I guess he’ll just have to ok the budget. 

I'm not finding much I'm interested in seeing in Barcelona.  Sagrada Familia for sure and perhaps Park Guell.  The first review on trip advisor for the gothic quarter was someone that got robbed a block from their hotel in the afternoon.  I'm considering a beach day or food and wine tour.  https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Small-Group-Montserrat-Tour-from-Barcelona-Wine-and-Cheese-Tasting-with-Optional-Golf-Round/d562-5716GOLFWINE  or this https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Montserrat-Tour-from-Barcelona-Including-Lunch-and-Wine-Tasting-in-Oller-del-Mas/d562-5716P2  or maybe even something like this: https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Barcelona-Food-and-Wine-Tasting-Tour/d562-26613P7

I had planned to do a wine tour in Italy, but maybe it would be better to do it here.  

• Like 1

Any thoughts about one (or more) of the Gaudi houses (I am partial to Casa Mila).  I also like the Palau de la Musica.  The market is nice for breakfast.  If you are going at the right time of year, check out the Magic Fountain.  

1 hour ago, mskaufman said:

Any thoughts about one (or more) of the Gaudi houses (I am partial to Casa Mila).  I also like the Palau de la Musica.  The market is nice for breakfast.  If you are going at the right time of year, check out the Magic Fountain.  

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Check out these two Gaudi houses. They are within 3 blocks of each other.

https://www.lapedrera.com/en

https://www.casabatllo.es/en/visit/

You can get tickets in the website and visit on your own. 

I don’t know if we’d enjoy those, but I’m not really sure what they are. 

Those were two private houses designed by Antoni Gaudi, the architect of Sagrada Familia. They are amazingly creative. The rooftop chimneys of La Pedrera (Casa Mila) are the inspiration for the troopers in Star Wars. Casa Batllo is a gorgeous mansion. La Pedrera is a luxury apartment house. One very large apartment is on exhibit with original furnishings

They are both located on Passeig de Gracia,  one of the great avenues of Europe. It is really worthwhile to visit at least one of them.

The Palau de la Musica is a concert hall.  The architecture is beautiful.

https://www.palaumusica.cat/en

This might not be about where to stay and what to do but if you go, bring an adaptor for the wall plugs, so you can charge your phones and stuff.  Bring also a charger that can do multiple electronics at the same time.

With a few days, everything is walkable -- we stayed at the Hotel Jazz (recommended by a lot of cc in the forums and has a great breakfast to start your day) and it was a great location.   

Edited by xcell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:40 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I don’t know if we’d enjoy those, but I’m not really sure what they are. 

This short video should help.  It is worth visiting  at least one, but they are expensive (everything is these days) so I would choose wisely.  I went to Casa Batllo with youngest on the morning before we boarded our cruise.  We would not have had the time or inclination to then go on to visit La Pedrera on the same morning.  

On 1/1/2023 at 5:50 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm not finding much I'm interested in seeing in Barcelona.  Sagrada Familia for sure and perhaps Park Guell.  The first review on trip advisor for the gothic quarter was someone that got robbed a block from their hotel in the afternoon.  I'm considering a beach day or food and wine tour.  https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Small-Group-Montserrat-Tour-from-Barcelona-Wine-and-Cheese-Tasting-with-Optional-Golf-Round/d562-5716GOLFWINE  or this https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Montserrat-Tour-from-Barcelona-Including-Lunch-and-Wine-Tasting-in-Oller-del-Mas/d562-5716P2  or maybe even something like this: https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Barcelona-Food-and-Wine-Tasting-Tour/d562-26613P7

I had planned to do a wine tour in Italy, but maybe it would be better to do it here.  

I could spend 3 days just walking around Barcelona with no planned agenda at all. Don't get caught up on the big tourist sites. Wonder around, drink the wine, eat the food, pop into little shops...  

There is crime (like some serious organized crime in Naples!) and pick pocketing in every port you will visit. Don't let one review scare you. Just be aware of your surroundings and be smart. Barcelona itself is pretty safe. 

7 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

This short video should help.  It is worth visiting  at least one, but they are expensive (everything is these days) so I would choose wisely.  I went to Casa Batllo with youngest on the morning before we boarded our cruise.  We would not have had the time or inclination to then go on to visit La Pedrera on the same morning.  

Thanks!  I just watched it and went to the Casa Batllo website. I see there are 3 different passes. Which one would you recommend?

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

I could spend 3 days just walking around Barcelona with no planned agenda at all. Don't get caught up on the big tourist sites. Wonder around, drink the wine, eat the food, pop into little shops...  

We typically do a bit of both. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

58 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks!  I just watched it and went to the Casa Batllo website. I see there are 3 different passes. Which one would you recommend?

Do the Blue ticket.  You don't need to buy them now.  About 3-4 months ahead of time will be enough.    

PS - I just watched the youtube video.  It's very good, but the narrator seriously need to work on his pronunciation!  Don't try to say any of the names the way he does.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I'm still in the planning stages.  I won't start purchasing anything, except hotels, until we buy plane tickets.  

If you choose Hotel Jazz book as soon as you are able, it does sell out. You should be able to get refundable rate in case your plans change or you see a rate drop.

I have been to Barcelona a number of times mainly on land tours and spent a week there last June. An easy and nice excursion is getting the cable car to Castel de Montjuic, visiting the castle and enjoying the great views. Then it is easy to walk around and down the hill to the Olympic Stadium area and then further downhill to the National Art Museum and then down past the Magic Fountains (the night time light and music show is great!) and to Placa d'Espanya where you can visit the shops in the former bull ring, Arenas Mall and then get a taxi or the Metro back to where you are staying.

While there are many stories of people being robbed or pickpocketed in Barcelona I have never had any issue. Be careful of how you carry your belongings and take sensible precautions and you should be fine. Walking the streets of the Gothic Quarter, visiting the beautiful Cathedral, walking through the Placa Reial, visiting the Mercat de la Boqueria and strolling along Las Ramblas are some of the joys of visiting Barcelona.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities and I have visited it quite a few times.

try and get a hotel on Las Ramblas and do visit the market there. Sagrada and Park Guell are must dos.

For something a little different after all the sight seeing, last year I took a sunset jazz cruise from the harbour. It cost pennies, is on a catamaran with a bar and great musicians. I highly recommend it.

You can check it out on Trip Advisor or Viator.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, realnice46 said:

If you choose Hotel Jazz book as soon as you are able, it does sell out. You should be able to get refundable rate in case your plans change or you see a rate drop.

I plan to.  Thanks!

On 3/7/2023 at 11:58 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

I have been to Barcelona a number of times mainly on land tours and spent a week there last June. An easy and nice excursion is getting the cable car to Castel de Montjuic, visiting the castle and enjoying the great views. Then it is easy to walk around and down the hill to the Olympic Stadium area and then further downhill to the National Art Museum and then down past the Magic Fountains (the night time light and music show is great!) and to Placa d'Espanya where you can visit the shops in the former bull ring, Arenas Mall and then get a taxi or the Metro back to where you are staying.

While there are many stories of people being robbed or pickpocketed in Barcelona I have never had any issue. Be careful of how you carry your belongings and take sensible precautions and you should be fine. Walking the streets of the Gothic Quarter, visiting the beautiful Cathedral, walking through the Placa Reial, visiting the Mercat de la Boqueria and strolling along Las Ramblas are some of the joys of visiting Barcelona.

Thanks for the suggestions and reassurance.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:39 PM, Deeliteful said:

Sagrada and Park Guell are must dos.

For something a little different after all the sight seeing, last year I took a sunset jazz cruise from the harbour. It cost pennies, is on a catamaran with a bar and great musicians. I highly recommend it.

You can check it out on Trip Advisor or Viator.

They are both on our list.  I will check out the sunset jazz cruise.  Sounds fun!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I think that this is the right approach.  Sure, you could spend weeks or longer exploring Barcelona or Rome, but the reality is that we are all limited.  Asking how long to spend at one at one large historical city is aking to asking how much closet space you shoud have when designing your home, or how much money you should make to live comfortably: the more, the better.

If you have 2 days in Barcelona, than you'll spend 2 days. I you have 3 weeks, than you'll spend 3 weeks.  The questions shoul thus be: what shoul I see and do given my limited time.

• Like 1