Singapore - choose between two hotels

windsor26

I am choosing between 2 hotels and wonder if the difference in price is worth it   we are mid 80's and not walking too well so want to be able to get MTR or taxi easily to see particularly the Gardens by the Bay and that area.  The choice is between   Bliss Hotel Upper Cross Street Chinatown  and Clan Hotel Cross Street  -  They both SAY  they are close to MTR  but what would your choice be and why?  Thanks 

There is really no advantage to either hotel as to how close it is to the metro.  The area around both hotels is flat (just go to Google Maps and look at the exterior/360 option and see how flat the area is around them).  I wouldn't be surprised if both are build on landfill.  One major recommendation is that since both of you are in your mid-80's and you will be quite near the equator, I recommend taking a taxi to the Gardens.  It is a somewhat of a long walk from the metro station to the entrance of the Gardens.  The temperature will be in 80's, but it is the humidity that will exhaust you.  Stay at the Bliss Hotel so you can easily afford taxis, LOL.

Sorry to say but if you have difficulty walking then doing the Gardens By the Bay at all will be a trial for you.  The Gardens are very large, and you need to walk a fair ways to see the attractions in them even if you are right by the MRT station.  I assume you’d want to see the Flower Dome and the Super Trees and the Cloud Forest right?  All of those require a fair bit of walking.

Best to do the Gardens in the evening, after the heat of the day is mitigated by sundown, take it slowly with lots of stops to rest and recuperate before continuing on.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2022 at 10:11 PM, windsor26 said:

I am choosing between 2 hotels and wonder if the difference in price is worth it   we are mid 80's and not walking too well so want to be able to get MTR or taxi easily to see particularly the Gardens by the Bay and that area.  The choice is between   Bliss Hotel Upper Cross Street Chinatown  and Clan Hotel Cross Street  -  They both SAY  they are close to MTR  but what would your choice be and why?  Thanks 

Not sure if you still need help on this topic. 
The Bliss hotel is in the middle of Chinatown with lots of tourists around that walk the small streets.
The Clan Hotel is in a more business quarter area but close to temples and food markets - if you are interested in it. 
If I had to choose personally, I would take the Clan Hotel because I don't like the Chinatown tourist area. It's interesting for a walk but to crowded for me to stay around all this chatting/noises/tourist shops.

You can take a small open train thru the Gardens by the Bay (no long walks needed) and the taxi can drop you right at the station.
The MRT is really easy to travel but you need to use lots of escalators up and down to get to the right departure level. If you stay more than one day I recommend that you buy a tourist ticket for several days. Makes it easier to travel around.
Taxis are not expensive but you need to be aware that sometimes you have to wait a long time in line to catch one at the taxi stations.

Best regards from Germany
Silke

Thank you Silke   for your assistance and descriptions.  We did however manage to change to the V Lavender hotel where we have stayed before and it is above the MTR  but your advices re Gardens by the Bay will be used  I think as we managed to get a better price for the hotel we can splurge on taxies which saves me more walking and stairs. Thank you

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 5:47 PM, windsor26 said:

Thank you Silke   for your assistance and descriptions.  We did however manage to change to the V Lavender hotel where we have stayed before and it is above the MTR  but your advices re Gardens by the Bay will be used  I think as we managed to get a better price for the hotel we can splurge on taxies which saves me more walking and stairs. Thank you

the area around Lavender isn't very tourist-friendly away from your hotel, 

so just go straight down to the MRT and off you go to nicer areas

To get to Gardens by the Bay, you need to make 2 train transfers:

Lavender (Green Line) ---> City Hall (Red Line) ---> Marina Bay (Brown Line) -- > Gardens by the Bay

We just returned from a 14 day cruise departing and returning to Singapore.   We stayed at The Clan Hotel and loved it!  The hotel is adjacent to an MRT station and right on the edge of Chinatown.   It was three blocks to a hawker center.   Great area!  We found the hotel a great choice for everything we wanted to do in Singapore.   Their rooms felt very high end, the breakfast was fantastic, many nice touches they provide at The Clan.

We also went to the Gardens by the Bay.   The prior response is correct that there is a good bit of walking to just get to the entrance of the Gardens.  The Gardens and the Cloud Forest are right next to each other but also inside each is a great bit of walking.   Both were beautiful and worth to walk!

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 11:26 AM, CAcruzfunatic said:

We just returned from a 14 day cruise departing and returning to Singapore.   We stayed at The Clan Hotel and loved it!  The hotel is adjacent to an MRT station and right on the edge of Chinatown.   It was three blocks to a hawker center.   Great area!  We found the hotel a great choice for everything we wanted to do in Singapore.   Their rooms felt very high end, the breakfast was fantastic, many nice touches they provide at The Clan.

We also went to the Gardens by the Bay.   The prior response is correct that there is a good bit of walking to just get to the entrance of the Gardens.  The Gardens and the Cloud Forest are right next to each other but also inside each is a great bit of walking.   Both were beautiful and worth to walk!

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you for the information  Unfortunately due to overbooking  and other excuses we have been left with a booking at the carlton Hotel   which I m sure is lovely and is convenient also to MTR  but we still may use the HoHo bus and taxis   The Carlton is of course a great deal more expensive but hope it lives up to its Hype