Outstanding Cruise on Celebrity Edge

Seapoint

While this was my first cruise on the Edge class, I have done over 40 cruises, about half on Celebrity, and I would rate it one of the best!

The use of TECHNOLOGY was evident everywhere. It was my first experience of the new EMBARKATION system, and it literally took only a couple of pain free minutes from arrival at Terminal 25 to being on board. In particular, it was so convenient to be able to immediately drop hand luggage in the cabin. I also liked the Celebrity App, which worked well.

The SHIP overall was even better than I had expected. It takes the Solstice class to the next level:

RESORT DECK is very beautiful, with an amazing 75 ft pool! However, and this was the biggest negative in my opinion, there is very little shade, especially compared to Solstice class. I like to spend a lot of time on the pool deck, but believe it is ill advised to be in the sun for long periods. The high walking track deprives the port side of shade, while on the starboard side the shaded area is taken by the always empty cabanas. There are about 14 shaded seats on the port side near the entrance to the Solarium, and a small number on starboard near the entrance to Ocean Cafe. On the deck above, there is a small area with shade on the starboard side. This space has table tennis on port side. So, with 3,000 passengers, good luck finding a seat in the shade.

On my cruise, I never saw the Cabanas occupied. I strongly urge Celebrity to use this under-utilized space to provide some sorely needed shaded pool chairs on Resort deck .

The FOOD was the best I have had on Celebrity. In particular, I liked the brilliant idea of converting the space for the MDR into four smaller, unique restaurants. (Greek, Italian, French, American). In particular, we loved the Cypress restaurant. Great menu selections, great service, great ambience in all four. In fact, these restaurants were of Speciality Restaurant standard.

We also went to Eden Restaurant, which was by far the best speciality restaurant experience we have ever had on Celebrity. Also went to Fine Cut Steakhouse, which to our surprise was our least favored restaurant, below the MDRs.

The ENTERTAINMENT was typical for Celebrity,. The theater is amazing, very high tech, with its seating in the round. A big step forward. Mention must be made of Lewis, our energetic and engaging cruise director, who tailored the cruise entertainment perfectly to his audience. In particular, while lively, the music was never deafening, as I have experienced on some other Celebrity ships. A very successful and popular venue is The Club, with lots of fun activities throughout the day. A big improvement over Pulsar and the comedy venue on Solstice class.

The CABIN. I had an infinite verandah, which I know has been controversial. Frankly, I liked it a lot. It made the cabin bright and bigger. My only issue was that you had to hold the button to raise and lower the window, instead of it being one touch. The cabin is a much better design than those on the Solstice Class, with a huge amount of storage space, and a large, well designed bathroom.

I thought the Magic Carpet would be a gimmick, but it was a great extension to the Resort Deck, and was very popular.

Capt Tasos was the captain, and he clearly runs an efficient ship with a happy crew. As a passenger, you can experience the difference when you are on a happy ship. He was very visible, and has an incredible sense of humor, even participating in the Liars Club show!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3