Starfish Point and Snorkeling only - no Stingrays?

GeorgiaMomof4

Is there a company that does just a Starfish Point and snorkeling tour only?  I'm afraid my boys - 8 and 9 - might be

a little intimidated by the stingrays.  

What about just getting off the ship and looking for an excursion at the port area?  Good idea or should we book

ahead of time?

Thanks!

You’d be more likely to find a snorkeling tour that goes elsewhere, a couple of reefs maybe.  Starfish Point is a usual stop on the Stingray City tours due to the proximity.  Also, Starfish Point isn’t guaranteed to have starfish, they do move around so other than that it’s just a mediocre beach area.

However, you aren’t required to get off the boat at Stingray City, and your boys might enjoy seeing all the stingrays even if they don’t go in the water with them.  The operators will usually bring or lure some close to the boat so the people who don’t get in the water can get a closer look.

I always call the stingrays “water cats” since that’s how they generally behave.  Just like cats, they’ll come around and bump up against your legs, sniffing for treats, and once they find out you haven’t got any they will pretty much ignore you.  Stingray City is very cool, and if you haven’t been it’s worth seeing at least once.

• Like 1