Antartica from BA

lbt43

Let me start by saying, we haven't been yet -- We are departing in a few weeks and see the same thing (need for both very warm and very cold gear).   Looking at your itinerary, the antarctic portion seems quite similar.   Unfortunately, this means we cannot/won't travel with only one carryon.  We decided to bring a second (or 3rd total) piece of luggage just for cold weather gear.   I don't know if you are aware - but Paradise Harbour is supposed to be colder and windier than iceland -- and that means it will be darned cold.   We were in Iceland where the weather report was +6C -- so quite a bit warmer than the -1C you are quoting.  But the windchill was -25C (-13F).   If you don't want to go outside, or only for very short stints, you can minimize the cold weather gear, but then I doubt anyone going to Antarctica would be willing to do this.   So it's nothing you haven't heard of before - dress in layers.   Of course, it could be warmer than I am predicting as well, but i've seen some pictures and videos from cruise ship decks, and people aren't looking warm!   But as i said, you can negate all this by not going outside or minimizing the time outdoors.   And don't forget some good sunglasses.   they will be very important there.   

We did this trip in March 2022! (U will love it), Antartica we brought thermal top and bottom, track pants to wear over the thermals, fleece top to wear over thermal, neck gator, mittens, water proof pants and hat. They provided our heavy coat. We were never cold and somedays especially hiking we often had to unzip our jackets and remove mittens as we were too hot. 
For the ship make it easy with khakis \ jeans and Long sleeve tops that u can alternate. We each brought only 4 tops. Only 2 couples on our cruise dressed up, everyone else was super casual. 

A good wool neck gaiter is a GREAT investment.  I bought one for our Antarctica trip and use it interchangably even now as a hat, a gaiter, or a face mask in combo with a wool hat with just my eyes showing when hiking in really cold weather.

When trying them out make sure it will be comfortable in all three places on your head.  It's easy to get one that is too tight to use as a facemask or hat, or too loose for the neck

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...